HybridZ

long tube headers

Everything I've read says "NO" their are none available. I have a Scarab style conversion (Hooker?) and am going to change mine because I want the weight farther back and I need more room at the front. I'm running an automatic, so the farthest-back engine mounting that JTR offers isn't necessary for proper shifter placement. I'll either modify a JTR kit (already have this) or buy the MSA conversion kit. The ONLY reason I'm not going unmodified JTR is due to the fact that there are no long headers available for it.

I just got off the phone with Lauren at S&S Headers and have ordered a set of coated 5205 headers that fit a SBC - 240/260Z in the set-back position (he says). I will let you know in three weeks or so after I get them. According to Lauren, they won't fit a 280Z. These are 1 3/4 tube items, so they may be a little big for standard SBC applications, but they should be good for my app. You can also find some comments on the recent post 'Angle Plug/Headers' question as well as go to "exhaust", type in "headers" and you can read lots more.

Wayne

I just used the search on "5205" and found at least a couple of people using those headers...nullbound and dr hunt to name a couple. You should talk with them and see how well they work.

edit: it looks like you probably already looked through those posts...hope they work out well for your application. Post up some pic's when you get them installed.

I just got off the phone with Lauren at S&S Headers and have ordered a set of coated 5205 headers that fit a SBC - 240/260Z in the set-back position (he says). I will let you know in three weeks or so after I get them. According to Lauren, they won't fit a 280Z. These are 1 3/4 tube items, so they may be a little big for standard SBC applications, but they should be good for my app. You can also find some comments on the recent post 'Angle Plug/Headers' question as well as go to "exhaust", type in "headers" and you can read lots more.

Wayne

That is what I run. Need bigger primary size though, time to make some headers!

Wayne

Damn, big spender. I just got an email From Loren regaurding those same headers. The Ceramic coated ones are just under $600. They look like my last option though. Let us know if they are worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Doc.. If you make SS F-L headers, will you consider making extras? It won't take that much longer than making just one set and you can sell them to lazy people like me:grin:

That is what I run. Need bigger primary size though, time to make some headers!

HOld on a second gang... Those headers hang down a fair amount. You will be down to around 3 inches of ground clearance if you go that route. I have a set and I'm not even sure I'm gonna run them.

The reason I bring this up is that some folks think to make big power you have to run those long tubes. They certainly help in making bigger power, no doubt. But I was able to run 10.98s at 129+MPH with a set of 1 5/8th block huggers with PLENTY of ground clearance... Don't underestimate the power you can make with them... They're not the best for overall power, but certainly make decent power with the correct exhaust system backing it up...

Mike

Ive made more than a few sets of custom headers and if your patient and careful you can make some amazingly good headers, but the 1 5/8" headers are not the huge handicap some guys think nthey are compared to the 1 3/4" size, while its true they tend to lower the tq curve in the rpm band, the differance rarely makes or breaks your results, its the exhaust system behind the collectors that usually the weak link in that its restrictive to flow, and the design of those collectors themselfs, in that most collectors are too large in dia and too short to maximize the power

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB64&Number=678126&Searchpage=1&Main=678073&Words=smurf+grumpyvette&topic=&Search=true#Post678126

are there any brands of long tube headers that will fit on a 240 with the jtr conversion? I searched on the forum but I couldnt find anything.

I have a set of S&S headers that I had to bend the collector 1/2" for better clearance. I was using them with JTR mounts. I will let them go for cheap if you need them.

Mike

I used the S&S 5205 headers and I bought them uncoated. The headers basically fit, but the flange on the driver side hit the bellhousing where the slave cylinder of the T56 is and the passenger side exited close to the bend of the floor pan where my fuel lines are. I cut both collectors off at about a 30 degree angle. Then I rotated the flange around until they fit. Then the flanges were tig welded back on at the right angle and the headers sent back to be recoated. The ones on my car don't hang down that far, but my car is not slammed.

LT1/T56 - JTR mounts and I used the spacers under the front cross member.

The LT1 has Angled plugs and I use a 5/8" offset wrench to tighten 1,2,7 and 8. The standard plug wrench doesn't fit. I suppose I could cut one up to work, but the offset box wrench works just fine.

Well, I made my own mounts so my installation doesn't have the inherent problems that have been encountered with jtr or msa or whatever, probably because the engine sits alittle higher, but I did the mounts with the headers on and then yanked the engine to weld it all.

1-5/8 may be fine for most mild motors, but it's been proven and well documented that big tubes, and as grump said, the "right collector" make gains especially in big motors and/or high rpm. IMO Don't plan on running 9's with small tube block huggers. IMO if your running 400 or more cubes and/or 7000 or more rpm, the 1-7/8 or larger are best suited. For that reason I'm going to build my son a set of 2 inch primary long tubes with a good collector.

As far as making another set or sets I can imagine it being rather expensive Mike, but Thaagard does that kind of thing, I'm just not set up to do that. Maybe you should just spend a week and come over, learn to tig weld and make some for yourself.

I'd love to learn tig welding and header design. The problem is finding the time. I care for an elderly parent who can't be alone for that long. She has health issues and some dementia.

One thing I'm very aware of though... the best way to learn anything is directly from a master. I could learn a lot from guys like you, Grumpy, and others on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
I run the long tube hookers with MSA mounts. The fit is exelent.

Hey BuZy,

Do you run the Hooker Super Comp headers? Thats definitely the header I want, and was under the impression that you have to run the hooker block huggers with the MSA kit.

If you do have the Super Comps, do you have plenty of header to ground clearance.....I read somewhere that if you use the MSA kit and run Hooker Super Comps, you end up with like 3 inches of header to ground clearance.

Thanks for the info,