HybridZ

Check out these prototype brakes

Isn't our technological limit to braking distance, tire traction not caliper grip? Good modulation is nice to have but the limit is traction with the road, not the design of the caliper.

True, but apparently, the gains are made in the area near where you lose traction and have to release the brakes somewhat to stop a skid.... these brakes should allow for better performance without the poor modulation of ABS, and would theoretically be an improvement over a "good driver" as well.

This is all fine and good but the more we complicate things the more opportunities there are for failure... KISS. When it comes to motivating a vehicle, that's one thing. When it comes to stopping it... that's another!!

I do definitely agree with all the statements made about pedal feel. My truck has a drive by wire throttle, but it's kind of transparent. It's not as bad as I expected. You feel the vehicle torque over and the chassis vibrates as you rev. It would be different with brakes. I don't know that the sensation of "slowing" is enough to help you modulate your braking accurately. I just have faith that it won't just be an on/off switch with anti-lock to save you. (I hope)

This is all fine and good but the more we complicate things the more opportunities there are for failure... KISS. When it comes to motivating a vehicle, that's one thing. When it comes to stopping it... that's another!!

We've already over-complicated it. Actually this simplifies things. For all intents and purposes vehicles built today have two braking systems. Crap like this is what makes new cars so damn heavy. No more ABS computer and the rats nest of hydraulic lines and sensors to it. No more brake lines and attendant hardware, just a wire that you can route anywhere without needing a bender. No issues of fluid boiling. I particularly like the fact that through the magic of simple lever/inclined plane physics, it actually progressively applies more stopping friction as you brake. With present braking systems it takes incrementally greater applied force to brake more. (why isn't there some sort of radially floating caliper that takes advantage of this principle already?)

You can bemoan the marching on of technology, but I've owned more than one vehicle with 4 wheel drum brakes. I'm damn glad 4 wheel discs became the standard. -Tucker got his way! It's all but impossible to buy a car without ABS today, it's here to stay. This improves upon that. It still remains to be seen if this functions as well as they claim. The OEM's will not release this if any safety/emergency braking issues cannot be addressed. They can't afford to. They have no problem selling you a vehicle that barely runs, but if people die, they have to answer for it. That = $$$.

As Mopar69 said, locking up is not a measure of braking. Any piece of crap car can lock up the brakes. This is not proof of braking ability. Baer used to have a very good spiel about this in their old paper catalog. If you lock up the brakes, your tires no longer have traction. It's all about walking that tight rope just before lockup.

I'd think control would have to be PWM and some sort of feedback mechanism for the pedal should be employed. A BIG part of knowing the FEEL of your car is the brakes. Just my opinion though.

I agree that todays brake systems need to be cheaper and less complex. Think about it. They are pretty antiquated by design. The only thing I doubt is that this invention will give significantly shorter stopping distances. Other than that, all issues can be overcome by design.