HybridZ

Got a turbo intake powdercoated today! LOOK, PICS!!!

OlderThanMe

Today I went over to 2003z's (mike) place for a couple hours and powdercoated the intake for my Dad's 944Turbo for his christmas.

I used the parts cleaner and cleaned out the runners (nasty!). Then I sandblasted the whole intake. It looked really nice with the strange German alloy of aluminum all cleaned up.

The 944 up at ZdayZ back in May:

b37542513.jpg

intake before cleaning:

m63586493.jpg

After I used the parts cleaner:

m64105492.jpg

After I sandblasted it:

m64105616.jpg

masked and ready to go:

m64105746.jpg

After Mike powdercoated it:

m64105921.jpg

after baking:

m64106045.jpg

Set in place:

b64105241.jpg

It does not look like a match in the photo but that is because the engine bay is sorta dirty. It is actually VERY close to the body color. So close that you can't really tell a difference...

I think it looks great and My Dad will love it when he comes home tonight.

I highly recommend www.thepowdercoater.com to anyone that wants to get brakes, valve covers or anything else powdercoated.

Thanks Mike!!

Thanks guys! Mike really did a good job with the powdercoating.

The Aluminum has a lot of texture to it so the texture shows. The shinyness is great though!

I can't wait to get the Porsche back together. I haven't driven a sportscar in several months. This one pushes 1-1.1 bars of boost...That is like 15psi! Stock!

I heard Dad talking about some bigger turbo that made 600hp...I said just get new turbine and compressor wheels to lower the lag (3200RPMs) and get a manual boost controller.

We had the intake out to replace the stock boost controller thingy...I don't know all what it does but this part had vacuum/boost hoses from before the turbo, after the turbo, and one going to the stock external wastegate.

It was called an idle control valve?

Anyway we should be getting the car back together this weekend with new hoses.

BTW check out these vette brakes Mike was doing when I got there. Metalflake red Vette calipers...Very cool :-) The photo does not do the metalflake justice at all...

m64119910.jpg

Lol big-phil... It is soo hard to find L28s around here...And that is just what I need now...

Mike and I were sure able to talk Zs...both of ours have the motor out and are inoperable...lol. I am a just a bit behind on bodywork though:-D. Well maybe a Lot.

Hopefully Mike will have his motor ready soon so we can put his Z back together... Motor party!!

Yasin: It is a 1986 944 turbo (not the Turbo S) with all the luxuries like A/C and power everything. The only mod is bilstein shocks which are rock hard (ouch on the kidneys).

They were already on the car and were brand new.

The turbo has been replaced with a new stock one right before we bought it ($2,000!!!).

Half of that was probably in removing the intake...lol. Not fun

I think it took 2 hours for me and my Dad to remove that intake the other day...

oh yeah it does... Now I feel bad about the cam cover looking so ugly...Maybe I'll pull it off and polish it. I don't think too much on a motor shoud be powdercoated...It should be mixed with some shiny/polished parts as well as a nice set of powdercoated parts.

My motor will have plenty of powdercoated parts on it for sure along with a polished cylinder head...:-)

Very nice, looks like you do excellent work Mike.....

I love the green... I call it the "grinch green" :D

Here a pic of just the wheel in that green over polished aluminum.

candy_lime_green_sample.jpg

looks sick, I wish I could afford to have every single peice on my car powdercoated.

Thats what got me started in the business :D

Yasin: It is a 1986 944 turbo (not the Turbo S) with all the luxuries like A/C and power everything. The only mod is bilstein shocks which are rock hard (ouch on the kidneys).

They were already on the car and were brand new.

The turbo has been replaced with a new stock one right before we bought it ($2,000!!!).

Half of that was probably in removing the intake...lol. Not fun

I think it took 2 hours for me and my Dad to remove that intake the other day...

OTM - Wow..very cool...944 Turbos have a special place in my heart. Very great cars and have many characteristics of Datsuns that we like, good looks, good performance, balance and handling. 300whp on these cars are magic and really not all that expensive to achieve. Is you Dad on the Rennlist forum?

Yasin

Yasin: I know he is a member of some forum but he doesn't do that much online. He's not really interested in high performance that much. What I an doing to my Z is pretty much.."why?" for him... the turbo kicks at 3200 and it hits hard! It's the only turbo car I have ridden in that use more than 2psi of boost(old volvo box tank).

I was going to buid a hot N/A motor for my Z then I drove the 944 with just over a bar of boost... I changed plans REALLY quick...

The biggest thing I don't like about it is that it has the weight like 2 Zs...or at least it feels like that through the steering wheel. The drivetrain layout is great though! I thought about adapting the VW/Porsche rear end into a Z and mate the 944 tranny to an L6 with a custom engine shaft like the 944 uses.