HybridZ

Which Air Compressor to get? *xmas gift to me*

Guest 280ZForce

Guest 280ZForce

So for X-mas I'm getting an air compressor...can be no more than $300 pretty much.

I've never owned an air compressor and am new to learning all the things needed to know about them and etc...so any advice will be taken with great appreciation.

Here is what my mom ordered me...she said I can always take it back and get what I want if I don't like it.

Craftsman 26 gallon/2 hp w/ accessories...

...was also looking at this 1.

Craftsman 30 gallon/2hp w/ nailers.

She also mentioned she saw a 'nice looking' Alton air compressor (26 gallon/max 5hp i think)...I've never heard of Alton..any good? She saw it at Costco.

Please give me some input on what you guys think will sufice as a good starter kit to get me up and running.

Thanks in advance - Justin

Well the first thing we need to know is what you plan to do with it? If you want to use an impact and other air tools for working on your Z you will need something a bit bigger. Impacts use a lot of air and when I was running a 30 gallon I would have to wait for it to recharge between wheels just pulling off lug nuts. Right now I'm running a Harbor Frieght 80 Gallon 5hp unit that has been awesome! I've had it almost a year now and it stay hardwired in the garage. It's always available when I need it and it never seems to run out of air. Plus it was only $300. That's half what the other brand name units cost. You get what you pay for usually, but I think I got a steal on this.

I bought this one about a year ago (on sale) because it was rated to put out more air than anything else for the price.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00916732000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

It is slightly larger than the ones you've linked to. So far I've been very happy with it. With my impact wrench and air ratchet it keeps up ok. The die grinder kicks the compressor on pretty regularly. It is oil-less, so it's extremely loud. I wear ear plugs in the garage anyway, but it's an annoyance. My next compressor will have an oil lubricated pump.

Ok, if you plan on painting or continous use with a grinder look for a 2 1/2 hp RUNNING and the CFM should be 8 or better at 90 psi. the one that you have will work for a while. If you want it for hobby use once in a while it is good. if you trade it for another one get a belt driven pump they last much longer and will out perform a self-enclosed compressor any day. so check the RUNNING Horsepower and the CFM at the highest setting either 90psi or 120psi.. Hope this helps..

71 240Z restoration in progress.

77 280Z The love of my life.

83 280zx past flame

84 300zx problems from the start.

Home depot won't let me link my compressor info, but I have the 2hp running 26 gal oil lubed belt driven compressor. Get the biggest tank you can afford. I can run a sander, or die grinder constantly but the pump will be on most the time. Impact wrench is fine because it's intermitant use, and I got a paint gun rated for my compressors cfm so it will work fine constantly. Overall, the compressor is perfect for my needs because I don't use it all the time. It can get any job done that I need, just make sure the tools you get match the cfm of your compressor.

You should look on craigslist in your area for a used compressor, thats how i got mine for $100.

I also second the big compessor, 5hp 60 gal. I also like the 220V units over the 110V. The one that I have has been with me for about 15 years now with no problems and I can do pretty much anything I want to do from running all tools to a paint sprayer, even a sandblast booth.

HB280ZT

I had a Craftsman upright that was a little larger than the one you are looking at, and it drove me nuts with all the noise, lack of air...you name it. It worked fine with impact wrenches, but using a sander, air drill, HVLP gun, blasting cabinet? Nope.... ran continuously and still had to stop and wait for it to catch up. Oh, did I mention the noise of those Craftsman units? It will drive you nuts in no time, not to mention annoy any close neighbors. It was a Christmas present too...but I still grew to hate it.

Found a nice Ranch Hand (made by Cambell Hausfeld, just painted green) at Tractor Supply that was on sale for around 400 dollars that put the same specs as the IR compressor sitting right next to it for twice the price. I think mine is a 7hp/60 gallon (10.3 at 90, 11.8 at 40, 135max) and it works perfectly even when using the blasting cabinet.

Neither of those...

I'd look into a minimum of a single stage oil fed unit made by Ingersol Rand. I had a Craftsman compressor and they are so darned LOUD that they really do take the joy out of working around them...

I'm now relegated back to using a pancake compressor (think nail gun type here) that I bought to get me by while I await the electrical power service hookup to my new meterbase and power panel for the existing garage. The noise of this little sucker is killing me... I SOOOOO miss my big 60 gallon Ingersol that's sitting in the corner without 220 power hookup!!! :cry:

Don't know if you have a Tracter Supply Center out your way, but if you do, check with them on the units they carry... I know IR sells a nice 30 gallon rollaround unit, but I would opt for something in the 60-90 gallon oil fed single to dual stage 220 powered type units. They last many years longer, are quieter, and will power most anything you want to do with it...

Mike

I'll repeat myself again...

Find an independent compressor repair shop and see if the they have a rebuilt 1950s or 1960s Ingersoll-Rand, Kellog-American, Thomas, or other cast iron low rpm compressor for sale. Add a Baldor electric motor and a 80 gallon tank and you're set for anything for the next 50 years.

Why are you waiting for the power to be hooked up? I'm surprised you wouldn't do it yourself.

I have to get the electric company to run the service and turn it on. I don't know about other states, but in Va. we're not allowed to just "connect" to the service provider.

Mike

Find an independent compressor repair shop and see if the they have a rebuilt 1950s or 1960s Ingersoll-Rand, Kellog-American, Thomas, or other cast iron low rpm compressor for sale. Add a Baldor electric motor and a 80 gallon tank and you're set for anything for the next 50 years.

Hey John, what size hose do you recommend for air tools? I have this huge compressor (i cant remember the specifics), and i find it funny that it wont power my air tools. Its not that it runs out of air, it seems as if its not providing enough air. Maybe the hose i am using is too small for air tools?

I have said that in the past, but everybody wants "new" stuff.

OH CRAP!

Hey, You're in Corona, RIGHT?

GO TO COLE-CO COMPRESSOR off Smith & Commerce Street. Ask for "Red". Tell him Tony Dighera sent you over.

I am SURE he will have something laying around the shop that he can work you a deal on. I will be going to his company christmas party tomorrow, I'll ask him if he has something along the lines of what JohnC was suggesting.

BIG D'OH! I completely spaced on the fact you were in Corona. Red is a good guy, he should be able to find something for you if you can wait.

He formerly worked for the Quincy Distributor, and even though I work for I-R, I would have to say the Quincy QRD series compressors are probably one of the best small reciprocating units ever made. They are about the only ones still constructed with a FORCE FED oil system that incorporates a FILTER!