HybridZ

any exhaust clips of I-6 Z's?

palauoriginal

This is my L28ET with 2.5" all the way back from the turbo and a straight-through Magnaflow at the rear. Inside, it sounds exactly like 510six's car.

Full Throttle:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/280z+watkins/0/46101cf4-9fad-40c9-b425-43b4ad71475e.htm

In-Car Cruising:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/280z+turbo/0/8e0786c4-827b-40cc-9168-98c1013e2c45.htm

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Long story short, I bought the wrong muffler when I did the turbo swap. I got a dynomax super turbo when I was suppose to get an ultra flo.. anywho, I've finally got around to getting a better muffler, but I got a round borla xr-1 and I think it sounds awesome. I haven't had a chance to drive it, so I can't tell ya if it drones or anything, but at idle and revving = money.

To me it sounds exactly like an L28et with an open exhaust, except a little quieter plus a nice snarl when decelerating.

If anyone is interested in a video of a super turbo on a L28et, I have a video of that too :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I love the glasspack sound, I am SO shocked to find that so few of my fellow Z-ers opt for it.. I got one for my 75 but havent gotten it put on yet.

The primary drawback (no pun intended, ar ar ar) to the idea of a "twice pipes" system is the poor scavenging caused by isolating two sets of three cylinders... but the MSA twice pipes setup has a collector pipe that attaches to the header collector, so I can't see why it would be at all disadvantageous...

Mario, your videos say "full twice pipes" or something to that effect.. does this mean that you have deleted the collector and have a TRUE full twice pipe setup? I am imagining not, I think I have read the answer somewhere already, but I had to ask again.

I've never much cared for the turbo muffler sound... it flattens out the highs too much for my taste. Give me some of that old fashioned BRAAAAP noise accompanied by a growl over the throaty, flat sounding turbo muffler any day.

Of course, that goes out the window with an actual turbocharged engine, but for an NA car I am all for glasspacks.

I love the glasspack sound, I am SO shocked to find that so few of my fellow Z-ers opt for it.. I got one for my 75 but havent gotten it put on yet.

The primary drawback (no pun intended, ar ar ar) to the idea of a "twice pipes" system is the poor scavenging caused by isolating two sets of three cylinders... but the MSA twice pipes setup has a collector pipe that attaches to the header collector, so I can't see why it would be at all disadvantageous...

Mario, your videos say "full twice pipes" or something to that effect.. does this mean that you have deleted the collector and have a TRUE full twice pipe setup? I am imagining not, I think I have read the answer somewhere already, but I had to ask again.

I've never much cared for the turbo muffler sound... it flattens out the highs too much for my taste. Give me some of that old fashioned BRAAAAP noise accompanied by a growl over the throaty, flat sounding turbo muffler any day.

Of course, that goes out the window with an actual turbocharged engine, but for an NA car I am all for glasspacks.

Yea I'm missing the scavenging effect since the pipes are completely seperated. It doesn't sound like any Z I've ever heard before so I'm not too keen on changing it until I go to full out power (boosted/RB/V8/etc) and by then the current exhaust setup will be too small.

It sounds amazing though...

Mario

I REALLY would like to hear some RB series clips; I have searched youtube and google video many times, and most sound riced out(aside from a few). If you have any nice RB clips, notable the RB26DETT but any RB will do, please post a link! We are planning a conversion to RB when we get another Z and I would like to see how close the RB can sound to the L-Series motors! Both badass, and certainly both have the nice sound of the I-6 engines, specifically of Nissan origins! Of course its hard to replace the sound of carbeurators..but I guess turbos would turn on the modern crowd.

ok mate, when i finnally get around to getting a sound clip of my yellow 260Z with its L28, i will also make a clip of my 280ZX with RB20DET, it does not sounds like any other RB20 i have heard, not ricey at all.

hopefully wont be long till i do it.

In car L24 with header and 2.5" with a turbo muffler on the rear...

I have to admit that a lot of what you hear is the 6 trumpet Weber intakes. This is with an airbox muffling them too. I swear the intake makes a lot more noise than my exhaust with the airbox open.

th_RoeblingRoadJune2006wmv.jpg

In car L24 with header and 2.5" with a turbo muffler on the rear...

I have to admit that a lot of what you hear is the 6 trumpet Weber intakes. This is with an airbox muffling them too. I swear the intake makes a lot more noise than my exhaust with the airbox open.

I wish i had that problem:cool:

well we should be getting a good video camera soon, so i will be posting a video on the next couple weeks.

and to snowboardin58: yeah the various Z clubs around have regular meets, depending on where in Oz you will be, and what time of year, you might be able to catch the Dat Nats.