HybridZ

oldest member

warrenp

Looks like I've been around since February of 2000 also. Like many I was tired of being flamed and ridiculed by the likes of Ron Stoy, etc. over at ZCar.com. It was bad enough that I put a Chevy V8 in my car but I ruined a perfectly good Z body too!!!!

This has been (and still is) a great site with lots of very good info. Thanks to Owen who started it and Super Dan (and all the admins.) for keeping it going.

Happy New Year!

Wow so there are quite a few of us that have been here since 2000 that read and absorb but don't post much. This is a great site and the knowledge that I have gained from being here is invaluable. Thanks to the admins for keeping it going.

The first troll/flamer to be banned that I remember from 2000-2001 was "Goatman". Positive contributors that I haven't seen in a while are Andy from Michigan who was into boats and IdahoZ who I believe had some good ideas regarding handling and suspension, but also had some very strong opinions regarding engine setback location [so much so he was either banned or frustrated]

The guy whom we banned first was just because of his bad attitude and his name begins with "m". Since his name is not a nickname, I'll leave it at that. I do remember Goaturd though...when he was gone, the world suddenly became a happy place once again.

Davy

This is the first forum I signed into, and it took me a lot of months of lurking to do it. Still about the only place I post. (Might have signed up sooner had I known it could have earned bragging rights).:D

I miss Lone's contributions--- he was mechanically creative and had a nice writing style. Too bad his world fell apart.

<>

A.G. I've known Lone for many years, and yes it was sad regarding his personal life. He definately had creative writing skills, loved to share and had a good heart. However, I've spent the past 5 years reconstructing his "mechanical creativity" aka the "Orange Crate", and it was a nightmare. Be that as it may, I can understand he was trying to build something with no budget. And to do things correctly it just can't be done that way. I'm not mad at him for his efforts, just frustrated at times with some of the things he moused together. He's still in AZ, and I certainly hope doing well. I spoke with him a little over a year ago. He was playing in a band!. I hope someday he'll find himself working on another Z. Yes, I miss his contributions as well.

VAN

WHACK...

I can understand he was trying to build something with no budget. And to do things correctly it just can't be done that way.

CHOP...

VAN

Come on, Van, Say it isn't so!:cry:

All these years I've been hoping that it would only take longer. (Pete's record? time-- not the quality of his construction-- may yet be surpassed).

<>

I wonder how many of us who joined in 2000 are still active or still lurking.

i didn't join in 2000 but 2001. i only have 248 posts in 6 years gees!

i still poke around here and there. and have a bunch of inactive periods for a month or so. i usually come back cuz no one in the other forums can answer my questions.

also i like people who can make an idiot understand. like me ;)

i kicked around zcar.com for a year or so before i found this place.

that was back when zcar was an on place to go. now they drive me nuts!

to many ricers kill in z's. i haven't been there in months!

• Like 1

I've been logging in about every other day since I joined. I don't say a lot but I have copied and saved hundreds (thousands) of posts and pictures over the years. Most of them I have saved in 3-ring binders by subject. This site and Grassroots Motorsports are my favorite sites. Many thanks to the numerous people here who feed my interests!

John

• Like 1

Owen has my my thanks and to all the others who have contributed so much to this site. I started in 2000 under some user name and then under Tomahawk Z in 2001 and then off for a couple years (on exile from society). After a long correspondence with Dave Linfoot v8 240 Z in Portland, we finally met in person today. I wish I could meet all the fellows that I have become acquainted with over the years. With all the help and support I recieved..............I am still in the project stage becuz........just too many modifications that I cannot resist. Must be my 217th change in brake modifications. Stuck between carburatoin, injection. V8 or v6 (I have 4 350 SBC's) but that 3.4 V6rtec V6 has my attention that is in the GMC Sierra that belongs to my wife ............................................................so it goes with the journey and the destination still out of site (Hybid Z that is)

Ive been here since April 2000, way back when my Z was running 14.3s and because of this site did a rebuild and changed cam and went 13.7s!!! I was so stoked. Then before I came back to Japan as a civilian (retired from the MArine Corps) I was running 11.9s on engine and then decided to go 10s before putting them in storage and ran a 10.9 just to say Ive done it (NOS but what the hay). Well needless to say 9s are next and I have plenty of time to figure out how to get there all because of HybridZ. I think I was one of the original top 100 members. Used to reflect our placement but since all the upgrades have taken place its changed a little. All I can say is Im much smarter now since Ive been on HybridZ and its been a blast. :-D

Terry

• Like 1

Well I just checked myself, and I've been here since May of 2000.

I was very active at Zcar.com, and watched Kyle launch Zdriver.com (using my Z as his certre piece) (sorry for bragging hehehe)

I tracked down just about every Z website I could find back in the mid to late 90's I had over 450 bookmarks! Many have come and gone.

Many members have come and gone on the Z sites that I have frequented over the years.

If I don't post, I still lurk. I do more research now more than anything. Before I had lots of time on my hands (college..then a job with computer access and not much to do) I was chatting, and checking in and posted several times a day, and sometimes all night if I was on nightshift.

I've been active on the Z forums since the mid 90's.

Now I just have head back out the MSA show again. Lots of fun. Maybe bring my Z this time!

lol been here that long and still never got a v8 in my z

but i do still own a z

Heh join the club. Actually, I take that back. Ive had the engine in the Z for years. Just never finished the project.

So I know how you feel. Ive been around for a little while too. Not as long as some of these dinosaurs tho :P

Until a couple of years ago there was a “membership number” - counting up, based on when the person joined the forum - displayed under everyone’s handle. I was member #9, in the original group started by Owen.

Over the years the Gen I SBC came to be largely supplanted by the LS-series; naturally-aspirated V8 swaps came to be rivaled in number (if not outright exceeded) by turbo, RB and other 6-cylinder options; chassis-strengthening discussions originally based on rust repair and strengthening for V8 torque morphed into road-racing lectures; aerodynamics threads came and went, and now there is planning for an actual wind tunnel test.

7 years ago I was wrapping up grad school, living in an apartment. I had no running car, as my $600 280Z - formerly my daily driver - went under the knife for the V8 swap. For a graduate student a bicycle was ample transportation for getting to campus, buying groceries or going to the bank - even in Los Angeles. Now I live in rural southwest Ohio, have multiple daily-driver beaters for my 45 mile round-trip commute, and a semi-streetable V8 Z that’s 8 years in the making.

7 years ago many of our recently-joined members were in junior-high or even in elementary school, while some of the now-retired guys were still working full time. Junk yards still had Z’s lined up, while fair-condition muscle cars could still be bought for a month’s pay.

Over the years I have been posting regularly but sparsely, averaging just under one post weekly. Too bad that some of the most memorable posts are gone - the ones on the psychology of dating, the perils of stock market investment, the frustrations of rural life, the pros and cons of going to war, the tension between individual liberty and state paternalism, the meaning of cars as expressions of personal creativity or mere instantiations of material consumption. But the posts on “I love big blocks but am so frustrated in getting mine to work” are still around.