HybridZ

Musicians/Noise Makers??

Mikelly

Cool Mike, Both my kids play the drums, wife plays anything with a key board, we have a drum set a piano and a Korg key board. I play the sawzall (no musical tallent at all) It gets loud at my house but I love to hear them play.

Nice Kit They Sure Do Allow A Person To Let Off Steam I Played For Fourteen Years Then I Remarried In 2001 And Decided With Three Kids Its Time To Give It A Break .i One Day Will Go Back To Playing I Know Myself To Well.playing Live Is Beyond Anything Ive Ever Experienced Its Incredible. Rock On Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Nice rack Mike!!

Been playin something or other since 1970.

But mostly the bass. Thats the only instrument that I have played professionally. Played in many a rock band, even fronted one for three years. Left playing, recording, and sound engineering to go back to the real world in 2002. Now I work for the man! I have played with some mean drummers. The drummer is key to a successful rock band. The saying was passed to me in Seattle after a audition by one of the members of Mother Love Bone. Goes like this........A mediocre drummer can make an awesome band sound mediocre. An awesome drummer can make a mediocre band sound awesome. We agreed,fired our mediocre drummer and hired one of the best drummers I have ever played with. We took off. It was like we had been push starting a car and it finally fired up.

Nice kit man...

Started playing drums in 1978 and still have my first drumset [Tama] from 1979 of course with additions and several Zildjians added throughout the years. Put them away in 2000 with birth of our first child, but the move to a large home in 2002 allowed for their return. You are correct on the strees relief aspect.

Of the numerous drummer jokes out there I've always liked this one [sorry bass players]

A man goes to an exotic tropical island for a vacation. As the boat nears the island, he notices the constant sound of drumming coming from the island. As he gets off the boat, he asks the first native he sees how long the drumming will go on.

The native casts about nervously and says "very bad when the drumming stops."

At the end of the day, the drumming is still going and is starting to get on his nerves. So, he asks another native when the drumming will stop.

The native looks as if he's just been reminded of something very unpleasant. "Very bad when the drumming stops," he says, and hurries off.

After a couple of days with little sleep, our traveller is finally fed up, grabs the nearest native, slams him up against a tree, and shouts "What happens when the drumming stops?!!"

"Bass solo."

Ha ha ha....

That is pretty funny. But you know what. It has been my experience that the drummer and the bass are very much part of each other. When ever we practiced in the studio, the drummer (Rodney Landert) was always on time and the guitar players were always late. Many a time we would jam together just me and him. When ever I was learning a new tune I would use the kick drum as my guide. Bass is a percussion instrument with tone in my opinion. Ever watch a jam session? The bass and drummer usually watch each other. BTW I hate bass solos, love the drum solos!!!!

I didn't realize what a stress reliever it really is until I injured my arm and couldnt play. Now I'm about 95% recovered and have started rattling the windows again, only difference is I'm a self taught guitar player. I need professional help. Hey..at least I admit it.

Ha ha ha....

That is pretty funny. But you know what. It has been my experience that the drummer and the bass are very much part of each other. When ever we practiced in the studio, the drummer (Rodney Landert) was always on time and the guitar players were always late. Many a time we would jam together just me and him. When ever I was learning a new tune I would use the kick drum as my guide. Bass is a percussion instrument with tone in my opinion. Ever watch a jam session? The bass and drummer usually watch each other. BTW I hate bass solos, love the drum solos!!!!

What I've noticed over the decades of playing is how many musicians can't read music and how many guitar players can't count in time, and beats??? halfs, quarters, 1/8ths or 16ths... :lmao:

In my opinion nothing beats piano/keyboard musicians... If you play keys, then you're a true musician. The rest of us are just HACKS! :lmao:

Couple of the guys here have seen me play, but I don't play out much anymore and only to CDs... I gave up the whole "musician" thing back in 1997. When I was a staff employee with my former employer, I had a multimedia recording studio I ran for them and I also had a small recording studio on the side, along with jamming with many local musicians. In a few of the bands we opened up for bands like 38 Special, Little Feet, other southern rock bands that were attempting comebacks in the late 80s/early 90s... the Vanzant boys were headliners a few times. We played up and down the east coast on weekends from Florida to Main, and I always spent more than I made, and made more money running my sound board for other musicians. :roll:

Demos, CDs, College radio airplay, copyrights on about 60 songs not worth a nickle, getting to play with some great musicians, and dealing with a lot of bad egos and worse attitudes... I'm glad I did it, glad I survived, glad I don't have the long hair anymore, and still have most of my hearing! :2thumbs:

Someone mentioned noise and complaints from the neighbors... Not an issue where I live now. I'm on five acres in the woods and the closest house is over 500 yards away! :cool:

Oh well... times change!

Rock ON!!! :banghead:

Mike

Heh.. nice Marshall man! I got the same one from my brother for xmass. :) My old Peavy (chorus 400) was starting to crap out, so he figured I needed something new! I'm maily a guitar man, but I can play bass and a bit on the skins. Been playing for about 18 years, and I'm staring to put some stuff together for a small studio setup.. gotta get the renovations done first though. (dang 80 year old house..)

When I had my little recording studio, I had two Alesis ADATs, a Tandberg 48 channel, a peavy 24 channel, four different tube amps from AMPCo and Dynaco, and about 30 microphones and 2 fourfoot cabnets with processors from Sure, Tascam, Akai, Alesis, and Fostex. I also had enough speaker cabinets to fill a 14ft. Uhaul... I still have about 5000 ft. of cables, two stage monitors for jamming to, all my drum mics, a few room mics, and a compressor, eq, and one old Dynaco amp that was hotroded At Big Apple...

Talk about a yard sale... About 9 years ago I sold a bunch of stuff... Like $15,000-20,000 worth for about $6000... Had to go, and I had to be done with it... :roll:

Mike :cool:

oh yea... wanna talk NOISE?! Imagine all three amps pictured above of mine, all running together split with two delays (running 10-50ms delays with only 1 repeat).

I hate my marshall... it's a pos. Bad tone, it's tone is everywhere all the time, and it just started humming the other day (like had to turn it off hum). I've changed the tube out in it and that still isn't the issue. Marshall needed to stick with what they knew... though their newer hybrid stuff isn't half bad.

So yea Marshall = 130 solid state watts Silvertone = 40 tube watts Line 6 = 60 solid state watts. Imagine them all cranked to 11... I did it once... with all three in a huge church and my cables leading to the side door where I was sitting on a chair...

haha...even his drum set has a roll cage! - jk

this is my noise maker....you can imagine my ridicule in middle/high school, but hey who sat with the best looking girls? lol!:icon14:

the few...the proud haha

anyway, i love it...so much different styles of music i can play with it.

reminds me, i gotta get it fixed.

flute.gif

I played flute for 5 years. And yes it's true... the chicks in band are hot.

I've wanted to start playing again to mix it in with some metal tracks i'm laying down. I've forgotten half of the fingering though. Shouldn't be too hard to pick back up.

When I had my little recording studio, I had two Alesis ADATs, a Tandberg 48 channel, a peavy 24 channel, four different tube amps from AMPCo and Dynaco, and about 30 microphones and 2 fourfoot cabnets with processors from Sure, Tascam, Akai, Alesis, and Fostex. I also had enough speaker cabinets to fill a 14ft. Uhaul... I still have about 5000 ft. of cables, two stage monitors for jamming to, all my drum mics, a few room mics, and a compressor, eq, and one old Dynaco amp that was hotroded At Big Apple...

Talk about a yard sale... About 9 years ago I sold a bunch of stuff... Like $15,000-20,000 worth for about $6000... Had to go, and I had to be done with it... :roll:

Mike :cool:

Well, well. We have alot incommon after all.

When I finally stopped playing on the road I also built a nice studio in Washington. Made aliving for a while doing demos. When I moved to Ft. Collins Colorado, I had a studio at home and a mobile recording company that did live recordings for producers. Up and comming bands needed live four song CDs to add to their press package. I made about 100.00 dollars per song. The bummer was I was so anal about the recording quality that it was not uncommon to spend 40 hours editing on a single CD. Thats about a buck an hour. It was fun to watch the bands listen to their demos. They would usually say stuff like "damn, I had no idea we sounded that good"! Trust me they didn't. If a guitar player missed a chord some where in a song, I would hunt down the same chord lick elsewhere in the tune and paste it in the bad spot, blend it a touch and whamo instant perfect player. As you did Mike, just last year, sold it all. Same deal, let it go for near nothing. About 17,500 worth for, get this, 4000.00.

My wife about had a fit. I told her Im done with it. Keeping it any longer would just make it worth less later. I did keep the digital recording equipment. I use Roland 16 track units that are midi sync together. I also kept the ADAT cause every once and a while I would get an editing request that would be shipped to me in ADAT format. I do miss it but like you, Im glad I survived it!