HybridZ

How bad do you think my frame is tweaked?

PICT0003.sized.jpg

Cut out cancer out of the support rail a while back, it was pretty bad... baddog rails are coming shortly. It's not all the way through, just the lower section of the floorpan rail.

Do you guys think after this, my frame is more tweaked, or will it be safe to weld in the rails on jack stands as support? or is a frame rack preferred?

If you still have the doors on the car, put a piece of masking tape over the door/rear quarter gap and trace a straight line on it, perpendicular to the door gap then, use a blade to cut the tape along the gap.

Lift the car from one of the points you wish to use and check if the line's halves are still or, not far from lined up.

This way you can precisely mesure how much the chassis is twisting.

Hope it helped.

I would not imagine that what you did is going to really twist much of anything. You can use Alex's suggestion to check, but that doesn't really tell you how far anything moved, it tells you more about how flexible the chassis is.

I know this isn't totally the same situation, but I was watching that Muscle Car show on Spike a couple weekends ago and the guy was saying he liked to weld in subframe connectors with the car on jackstands because it sagged the car the opposite direction. On mine when I used to set the front end down on jack stands (with the jackstands on the TC buckets) you could watch the front frame rails sag down. This guy basically said that when the car is on it's wheels it is sagging the other way, so by welding them in with the car on jackstands you would eliminate most of that. He also showed how the door gap improved and how the front clip needed readjustment after installation.

I think the important thing is to eliminate the flexing. If the chassis is sagged 1/4" one way or the other I doubt you'd notice until you started some hardcore autoxing or road racing, if you even noticed at all.

You really will be fine.Dont put your jackstands under the front and rear bumpers is all.These cars really hold there form quite well even with missing supports and panels and whatnot.Not to mention that by the looks of your pics there isnt much rust elsewhere weakening the structure,but as said by alex you can easily keep an eye on any movement,even if it does move it will probably spring back when released anyway.

trust me, your car is FAR from rusty..... i doubt it has much sag if any. if the doors close easily and the body lines match up with weight on the wheels, there is probably no twist or sag. if no twist is found, all ya gotta do is raise the car by placing ramps or blocks under the TIRES. i don't recommend putting jackstands on the subframe before welding, this will certainly bow the body out of its factory dimensions. If you weld while in this position, it may impart additional stresses into the body when the car is back on its wheels..... might cause problems, might not.... but why take the chance?

just my 2% of a buck

btw, this is what a typical rusty Z looks like:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117777