HybridZ

Tire remcomendation needed.

I am looking for a good tire size/ brand/ model for this summer.

The wheel will be the sportmax 002 in a 16x8 size.

The car will be a 77 280z with coilovers/adj. illuminas, welded diff, camber plates, cage, brakes etc.

The use will be as a dry weather driver and to drive to the track for as much school, solo I/II and hpde/tt as I can afford.

My expectations: hopefully a summers worth of use and at least a little track performance.

There is a chance I may have a track buddy who can haul a set of wheels/ tires to events for me, so any track only recomendations would be cool too. These would be a 16x8 also

All thoughts, ideas and opinions appreciated

Thanks, Sam

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamNissan

I like the bfg t/a drag radials. Id end up getting 2 dif sets though since you live in IL, a winter set and summer set. Those radials are going to do bubkis in bad weather.

Victoracers or Toyo Proxes would be my recommendations. I'd avoid the Yokohama A032Rs (sucky tire and noisy as hell when you put any camber into them), and also any of the really thin DOT tires which don't have enough rubber to put any street miles on like Hoosier or the Kuhmo V710.

I have friends that used to drive their 510 on Victoracers and they'd get ~5000 miles out of a set while autoxing every month too.

I seriously doubt that a drag radial is going to be a good choice for autox or HPDE, so I'd avoid those as well.

I wouldnt take a drag radial to track day or auto X.

My last track day I ran Kumho Ecsta V710 's in the front, which are sort of ike semi slicks, and Falken Azenis RT-615 's in the rear. Either which config, I didnt have any problems with grip. So for street use and occational track use i'd really recomend the 615 or Yoko AVS ES-100.

ES100's or the RT-615's FTW....

Unless you can find a set of the RT-215's...even better.

If you can afford them, the Advan A048s..hard compound...they last a while, and has great grip... or the Dunlop SP Sport 9000's...also great grip, and decent life for spirited driving.

Toyo RA-1. About as good combo tire as there is, some streetability with good grip at the track, should survive several HDPE's with some street miles. 245/45/16 will work on 8" rims. Try neg 2.5 camber and 34-35 psi hot.

jt

RA1's have alot of tread depth if you are doing alot of street driving too. Ecsta V700's or Victoracers are good dual purpose tires with a little less tread. There is an add in Grassroots motorsports for Hankook R compound tires. Some close out sale, they are pretty cheap. never run them though.

Guest TeamNissan
I have no idea where you guys are getting 16x8 in 0 offset from, since sportmax doesn't make it in that size at all.

but good luck anyway

They make 16x8 in a 0 offset. Your wrong.

Victoracers or Toyo Proxes would be my recommendations. I'd avoid the Yokohama A032Rs (sucky tire and noisy as hell when you put any camber into them), and also any of the really thin DOT tires which don't have enough rubber to put any street miles on like Hoosier or the Kuhmo V710.

I have friends that used to drive their 510 on Victoracers and they'd get ~5000 miles out of a set while autoxing every month too.

I seriously doubt that a drag radial is going to be a good choice for autox or HPDE, so I'd avoid those as well.

i'll vouch for the toyo proxes, i'm using them now. tried to get the tires lose once and it wasn't happening, of course thats with a stock motor. http://www.tiresdelivered.com can get you a good deal,i paid $460 for a 2 215/40/17 and 2 235/45/17, retail was around $620

oh wow, I didn't know this. Must be a custom purchase, because I am sitting at Dana's house (who i did the group buy for 15x7 with), and he says that they require a minimum amounts for custom build

I think I will sign up for group buy myself! thanks for the heads up

Thanks for all the suggestions Ihave a much better idea what direction I should be looking in. The set up tips are cool too.

I heard about the 16 x8s from a friend yesterday and found em on ebay from the usual sportmax dealer. silver for 350 and black for 399.

I am going to check the 15x8 to see if my jsk brake setup will fit in it(anyone happen to know already?) befor I grab the 16's. Same person who gave me the heads up on the 16's knows someone with some 15x8 +0

Would my tire selection vary much between 15 and 16 tires?

Also, any size recomendations?

Thanks again,

Sam

Go 16x8 much better tire selection.

15x8= 225/60 15 too much sidewall for me

16x8= 225/50 16 lot's of great tires in this size.

I have the 16x8 sportmax have not bought tires yet going 225/50 16.

I am thinking about going with the JSK brake setup also just worried the sportmax 002's are NOT going to fit without spacers. If you get the 002 please keep us informed if they clear without spacers!!!