HybridZ

New garage for my toys

Clifton

Don't deny me of my Amish heritage. LOL. Ya, Jim drew up the plans. I'm sure he saved me ALOT of money there and I do appreciate it greatly. I also got out of having to have a dust free gravel drive or pour concrete in front of it as it isn't going to be used for cars :mrgreen:. I will eventually do it, but it adds up quick. I did put an elbow and ufer in the footing and just ran the outlet wiring today. It will be hidden under the bond beam until I get the final, then I'll cut out for outlets. I didn't want there electric codes interfering with my progress. They are already killing me with there setbacks.

i drew up the plans for clifton to go to the city with. he asked at one point if he had to have elect in there. i think all of us building a shop would need elect. i also think clifton has a problem with athourity.

Clifton - "can i call it a storage shed?"

Me - " uh, that is a pretty big storage shed with a garage door. i think they will see that."

C - "can i say i am amish?"

M - "uh, you live in ther wrong part of the country. just put it in already and be done with it."

he was getting bids that were pretty high for the masonry, the building cost out here is stupid.

the shop is a duplicate of what dave at azcar has in his back yard. big enough to have a large mess in.

cant wait to see it there clifton.

jimbo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no common sence either.

huge $ for the city. i just had one of my clients pay 6k for engineering, 22k for plans, and 15k for permits and plan review fees. add it up boys, almost 50k before he can even break ground. he can afford it. he has a several pasta rockets and a gt3.

the city had it for a month, the guy looked at it for sevreral hours and approved it. plan review fees were 3500. i wish i had those kind of billable hours.

however, the city does have a huge liability on buildings. in a lawsuit, everyone gets named, city, builder, architect, engineer, sub contractors. in the end the one with the larges bank account is the one that they go after. the city.

fun starts again at 8:00am on monday.:)

jimbo

Here is another trick I learned... Don't call it a retaining wall. I went through that same hassle with the city when I built a 3" wall around an expanded front patio. Once i called it a decorative garden wall no permit was needed. I probably ended up over building it but at least I didn't need the City's opinion and delays.

ha ha. yep, i have seen some creative name calling to get past the city. have used a few of them my self. here is a good one. i designed a house with a basment. house was built several years ago. the original owner dug out the basement wall and created a little garden outside of the windows. this guy stacked the ancor wall blocks from the HD about 8' high. now the new owner calls me out of the blue because he wanted to see why the basement has flodded several times. gee i duuno. MAYBE IT IS BECAUSE OF THE GIANT HOLE THAT IS BY THE BASEMENT THAT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE.

cities are trying to protect themselves and the homeowner, but i hope at some point some common sence will prevail.

dawinism. the smart will survive, the dumb will not.

jimbo

• 4 months later...
Okay Clifton,

I see the BBQ so when is the party for us to all check out the new garage? Looks great.

Ha, ha, that would be a long drive just for a BBQ.

Ya, the rest should go alot faster. I haven't decided on the stucco yet. I may pay someone for that. It would be alot easier thatn dragging around my scaffolding.

The door is 16x8.

• 2 months later...

I finally got the inside done and moved my stuff from the front garage into this one. I left the compressor in the front garage and ran an underground line to this one. It will be nice not having to listen to that thing kick on and run. I still have to stucco the exterior but atleast I can use it now.

cimg23581co5.jpg

gspa1.jpg