HybridZ

Update as of 2/25/07

Ok so this weekend got some work done on the Z. Took me 3 hours to do this:

No_Mounts.JPG

Spot welds were a #itch to get through. I was using a hammer and chisel sitting on my butt. Good times but hey got the job done. Advice to others, use air tools if you can! lol

So after finally getting the corrcet JCI together I was able to do this:

LS1_in1.JPG

LS1_in3.JPG

LS1_in2.JPG

Yes I finally got the motor and trans in (trans mount not up yet got late). David and I, was able to get the motor in with really no problems. Of course this is only the first of a few times for the motor n trans to be in and out. It just put a hugh smile on my face to finally see it in the bay! I am heading back next week for two days to get some more work done before I head home for spring break. Many little things to do and some reading on my part to look forward to. The best part about it is I have 1tuffz's car right across mines to look at for reference. Plus David is there to lend a helping hand and knowledge. GETTING EXCITED! :-)

You doing to put up some good shots of the both engine & trans mounts? Probably the best time to get some good, clear shots with nothing else in the way.

Yeah I will some better pics for everyone. It was late and I had to drive back 1.5 hrs back to school.

Dudeboy and M1noel and 280zforce thanks for the comments. I do hope to get more work done and as we speak I am ordering some more parts....my credit card company loves me....lol. List of parts bought today:

Oil pressure sending adaptor kit

Master cylinder

Poly bushing kit/steering/rack bushings also

Adj front LCA that should be in my mail box Monday! =)

To order:

Fuel pump/regulator with gauge ---> anyone have a line on a good deal?

Clutch assembly

Clutch slave and seal

Shifter kit so I can use that evilz shift knob....lol

and much more crap that I will think of today instead of studying for mid-terms

Your list is similar to mine !!!

Summit (Aeromotive fuel regulator, spark plugs, Taylor wires and Summit had the lowest price for Corvette rails covers, unless you catch a deal on Ebay.

Jegs (Fuel Lines, grommets, Autometer guages, -an fittings)

For NOS z-stuff Black Dragon(Victoria British) 280 zx Master Cylinder

Keep a pad and a pen with you at all times, you will be thinking about parts needed all the time!!!

Glenn

Dudeboy what autometer setup are you thinking of getting? Have you seen my dash setup?

I bought everything from egauges.com check them out

I will check out Summit for the parts you listed. I bought my rail covers for $75 shipped brand new.

Ok plans for this weekend:

1. Figure out am I going with a LS1 tank or 280z tank. (leaning towards LS1)

2. Measure length needed for fuel lines.

3. Order parts from our local LS1 tuner.

4. Install headers

5. Notch bolts for Alternator

6. Figure out throttle cable config

7. And wonder when will the car ever be done!

Sure few things I forgot to mention but I will snap pics and thoughts from this weekend. I am heading home for Spring Break so this means no wrenchin for a week or so on the Z.

8. Figure out where to put the PCM then run the EFI wires.

9. Figure out which intake duct configuration you will run.

10. Install radiator and connect the hoses.

And many more. I have a long list of things to do from the time I was doing the swap for my friend's Z. You just need to build a short list each time. That way you won't get overwhelm. lol. Good luck.

last nite we figured on getting the crossmember holes drilled to prefit the part. same thing as mine, needed to mod the rubber mount tab on the pass side as the cm has a bend where the bolt hole is. enlarge bolt hole [they drill prior to bending which ovals the hole], bend mount tab. then cm is too long, shorten pass side [same thing i had to do]. funny, you'd think after all this time jci would get it 'right'. imho, their cm is, well...lesser quality than their top notch eng mounts. in hindsight, i'd have alltogether skipped the cm purchase...

clive [evil] is now experiencing the frustration we've [who have now completed the swap] all gone or are going thru. go to do one thing and have to run through a number of other steps to get that one processed...

all worth it in the end!

Ok so this weekend got some work done on the Z. Took me 3 hours to do this:

No_Mounts.JPG

Spot welds were a #itch to get through. I was using a hammer and chisel sitting on my butt. Good times but hey got the job done. Advice to others, use air tools if you can! lol

So after finally getting the corrcet JCI together I was able to do this:

LS1_in1.JPG

LS1_in3.JPG

LS1_in2.JPG

Yes I finally got the motor and trans in (trans mount not up yet got late). David and I, was able to get the motor in with really no problems. Of course this is only the first of a few times for the motor n trans to be in and out. It just put a hugh smile on my face to finally see it in the bay! I am heading back next week for two days to get some more work done before I head home for spring break. Many little things to do and some reading on my part to look forward to. The best part about it is I have 1tuffz's car right across mines to look at for reference. Plus David is there to lend a helping hand and knowledge. GETTING EXCITED! :-)

Clive,

Looks great. Nice progress. I am sure David (1tuffz) will keep you on track.

Here is a time saving tip for anyone trying to do this swap.

When I removed the stock 240Z Trans. mounting ears from the tunnel, I used a grinder with a cutoff wheel. Really worked well and only took about 5-10 minutes per side. I wish someone had shared time saving tips with me when I did this swap.

My_LS1_240Z_Swap_041.jpg

Looking good. The first days are the fun ones cause you can see the huge progress. It is the end details that seem to take forever with little visible progress.

I made the mistake of actually building a to do list.

Man, what a mistake. 3 pages is rather daunting. Plus it seems like everything I do adds one or two more items to the list. Like "replace steering rack boots". Great. Done. But after wiping out the old grease I realize I can't find my grease gun and that the grease vent destroyed itself. So cross off one thing and add two more.

Some day.... Hopefully soon.

BTW, an air chisel makes the trans ears a 2 minute job. Or better yet, in my case they didn't need to go.

as my humble 2 car garage [built in 1959] isn't too big and i don't have [yet] a 110 circuit that can support a compressor, the cut off stuff had to be done by hand...

my entire swap was done in my garage with plain old hand tools...

So with the old tranny mounts gone, will a t56 fit in there without having to hammer in the tunnel anywhere? We just pulled our 3.2 stroker out and will need to start gathering info and pics how and what needs grinding and hammering as we will be running a t56 tranny.

maybe. there's a spot on the pass

side that may need to be massaged. i think we've come up with a solution which may eliminate this need. what we're working on now is creating a short 90 degree elec plug to come off the reverse switch and shorten the plastic portion of the sensor itself, then remove some material from the 4 cast [protecting] protrusions that surround the rev switch. if successful, i believe no massaging will be required! we shall see...

I cut off the mounts in the tunnel for my LT1/T56 swap and had to massage the tunnel a little bit by the slave cylinder. I also had to do a little hammering where the JCI crossmember was supposed to bolt up, due to the curve of the mount itselft.

Looks fine now. One note of caution, be careful with the cutting wheel. When I was cutting away the mounts, I let it go just a little too much and ended going through both the mount and the tranny tunnel. Good lesson to take your time, move slow.

Bryan