HybridZ

Got my car back after 10 years

het976

Hi...I owned this car from about 1976 to 1997, when I sold it before moving to Colorado. I moved back the the NW a couple of years ago and had been looking for a Z again. One morning, last month, I was searching eBay, when what did I spy? :eek: Well, I paid too much but I now own "my car" again. It is just a shell, but I am working hard to get it on the road for summer. The plan is to put a 280 drivetrain in it to get it rolling, but the "BIG Plan" was always a SBC. Maybe next winter. Just wanted to share my story and to say I think this is the best site. I have already learned a lot. Good to be a Z-car owner again.:D

Guest l28et

Is that it in your avatar? The silver one with the rays wheels? I remember seeing it on ebay and thinking it'd look nice with some minor changes.

Thanks for the kind words. I really put my heart and soul into that car. I like the LS7+6sp combo, but I am going to enjoy it for the summer and research my options. It is nice to have the time and money to do it right this time. When I did it the first time, it was my only car and I ended up doing the flairs one at a time over about 6 months, while driving it daily. Just finding wheels that would fill the fenders was a major task...This WAS before the internet. All word of mouth. Funny when I think back on it.

Ive ALWAYS REGRETED selling my 1967 firebird, about 12 years after I sold it I found it on a dealers used car lot.....unfortunately it had a deposite already on it and the guy refused to negotiate OR let me know the other bidders name, and I lost the chance to buy it back...damn I was PISSED

That is almost the way this turned out. I was on a plane when the eBay auction was to en. There was a lot of activity on the car and I put in a max bid that was only $500.00 more than current bid. I figured I would not win it, just based on the activity of one person. When I got back to Portland and turned on my PDA..."Congratulations..." I was really surprised. Turned out the other guy who was bidding got messed up on the end time for the auction. HE called the seller and said, "if this guy backs out.." The seller said, "He used to own the car, I doubt he is backing out". The rest is history.

I agree that was a Great story. I sold my 1st love when I had to get married 23 years ago. It was a 1974 Vega panel wagon, narrowed rear end with 15x32's under it. 355 chevy with tunel ram, custom paint. I saw it about 10 years ago at a local dragstrip and the guy did not want to sell it. Looked exactly the way I sold it, nothing changed. I wish I could find it again.

I am happy for you....

John