HybridZ

Not sneaking up anymore

I just upgraded my LT-1 heads,cam and intake in my 280Z. Here is a little video of the car idling in the driveway. I think my days of sneaking up on anyone is probably gone :-) Unfortunately the camera mic makes the motor sound like it is clattering, but I think it is picking up the header noise. Now I just need a little tuning time.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4a862a58-3d0f-41d6-9758-98f000d404cd.htm

Jody

The seats are out of the 95 Z28 donor car.

My exhaust is 2 1/2 out of the headers, thru 2 cats and then it combines to a 3" out the back. Yes I am running cats, I got sick of the exhaust smell. I figured I could afford to give up a few HP. I am thinking of making a 3" dual- out the side, open header pipe for the race track.

Jody

Jody - really sounds sweet. Makes me want to get a better cam in mine. It's still stealthy at idle but really announces it's presence when stepped on. BTW - when I left Texas I took off the 280Z28 tags so you hold sole rights now.

Bill

Jody - really sounds sweet. Makes me want to get a better cam in mine. It's still stealthy at idle but really announces it's presence when stepped on. BTW - when I left Texas I took off the 280Z28 tags so you hold sole rights now.

Bill

Even at idle, the car is significantly louder with this cam over the last one I had in, which was a GM 847 234/242-112. The new cam is a Bullet billet asemetrical lobe 25x/25x-108 with 612 lift. Last night doing a few test rides, my son easily heard it and I was close to a mile away. OK, maybe I was opening it up a little :wink:

I tried to get 280z28 tags and the state said that the combination was too close to the issued combination, so it was denied. :-(

Do the cats act reduce the exhaust resonance inside the car? I've thought about putting a set on for that reason.

The car is still quite loud, but the resonance was reduced alot. I still have a 1800-1900 rpm spot that under certian load conditions is tough, but overall it is much better. Now I have never run real mufflers on the car. Before, I had 2 2 1/2" Dynomax mufflers along the sides of the transmission (where I have the cats now) then they Y together and another 3" Dynomax muffler out the back. When it was like that, it was harsh in the car most of the time.

I thought maybe so. My 280 is/was a California version so the L28 came with a catalytic converter. It seemed to act like a resonator and kept the car pretty quiet inside even when I replaced the original muffler with a more 'sporty' type. I'd also feel a bit better environmentally too if I had them. The problem now is the cost and if I can find a place to put them on the current system which is dual 2 1/2" through an X pipe to a dual inlet muffler in the rear.