HybridZ

John Coffey & Beta Motorsports Comes Through! Pics

slownrusty

I received my new Carbon Fiber Hood today from John for my ZX Turbo. It was made very quickly and I had John ship it to my office and I unpacked it at the warehouse at work and the the guys went absolutely crazy..wish I had a camera to capture the comments and the facial expressions! They have never seen such a beautiful (most of the guys I work with have long forgotten the Datsun Z) and they oggled at how light it was. John says it weighs 8lbs but my scale registers a hair over 7lbs. Whichever it is it certainly is incredible light wow...! As you can see the hood has a partial inner FRP frame so I can mount it to my OEM hinges but I will need to use pins with it.

Thanks again John!

Here are the pics, you can see my stock steel white hood in the background and also you can see my complete Turbo P90 head with all manifolds sitting on the small table. Paint and re-finish pics to follow later:

238365599.jpg

238365574.jpg

238365581.jpg

This car is getting expensive...LOL! But I am geting excited.

Yasin

How does that bottom attach to the stock hood hinges? I don't see any bolt holes?

Are you going to paint the hood to match the car or offset the color?

Guy

Guy - Goo observation. I am going to have to drill some holes in the FRP inlay and feed the bolts through it to mount to the stock hinges. Pretty easy, but will take a little time and precision. I am going to paint the hood hood white (same color as the car).

Looks good. Please post some pics once it's on.

What hood pins are you going to use?

Not sure Cody probaby...Summit Racing? I have never installed hood pins before, but after speaking with John, I am convinced this is the way to go.

J - Thanks for the compliments!

Regards - Yasin

Glad you got it! Yes, you have to drill the holes yourself and use nuts/ bolts to fasten the hood to the front hinges. The positioning of those holes is critical to proper alignment for each individual car. That flat area is reinforced but don't torque the nuts and bolts down too much.

You can also use Click Bond or other types of bondable composite inserts/studs but they are around $10 each. If getting to the holes to install the nuts is a pain, try cutting a small slot on the outboard vertical side of the frame so you can get your fingers or a box end wrench in there.

When cutting the holes, use a Unibit on a slow/medium speed. Don't use a regular drill bit. Also, be sure to remove ALL the hinge springs.

nice to see 'follow through' stories on people actually stepping up and buying parts they 'had an interest in' when a vendor was laying out capital to make production fixtures. it doesn't always happen. hopefully john's moulds will be quickly amortized, and his profit margin goes up to 'sustainable levels' so the parts remain available for years to come. thanks for the support, john.

even if my S130 needs to be heavy! LOL

Glad you got it! Yes, you have to drill the holes yourself and use nuts/ bolts to fasten the hood to the front hinges. The positioning of those holes is critical to proper alignment for each individual car. That flat area is reinforced but don't torque the nuts and bolts down too much.

You can also use Click Bond or other types of bondable composite inserts/studs but they are around $10 each. If getting to the holes to install the nuts is a pain, try cutting a small slot on the outboard vertical side of the frame so you can get your fingers or a box end wrench in there.

When cutting the holes, use a Unibit on a slow/medium speed. Don't use a regular drill bit. Also, be sure to remove ALL the hinge springs.

John - Many thanks for those tips! Duly noted.

those are very nice but everything is OUT OF STOCK when you go to order them.

On the http://www.hoodpins.com website it says they are having problems with their CNC machinist and they are hunting for a new CNC facility. I agree their product is beautiful.

nice to see 'follow through' stories on people actually stepping up and buying parts they 'had an interest in' when a vendor was laying out capital to make production fixtures. it doesn't always happen. hopefully john's moulds will be quickly amortized, and his profit margin goes up to 'sustainable levels' so the parts remain available for years to come. thanks for the support, john.

even if my S130 needs to be heavy! LOL

I agree Tony!

Those Aerocatch units are neat as well.

Yasin