HybridZ

Mercedes-Benz 190E, you like?

TheNeedForZ

I may have been bitten by another car bug after the S30Z. This time it's the Mercedes 190E. I caught sight of a few several times on the street and in parking lots. They don't look very special, in fact they are one of those "boxy" cars that I thought I would never liked. But the more I look at them the more I like them. No reason. That is before I found the similarities between 190E and S30Z.

It turns out that 190E is similar to the S30Z in several ways : The 190E was designed to let Mercedes-Benz break into the market and to make the public change its mind about the image of the company. Similarly, the Z were designed to be embraced by Americans and to turn the company image of (Datsun)Nissan into something other than a maker of econo-box cars. The 190E spawned a series of C-class cars following it just like the Z spawned a series of Z cars. They were hot items of their time. Like the Z, 190E's were sold a soon as they hit the dealership. They are strong race contenders as they dominated races even when they are ten years old. "Together with the cheaper BMW M3, which enjoyed far better sales worldwide, the 190E 2.5-16 continues to dominate the "Normally Aspirated cars up to 2500 cc" class in endurance and 24 hour racing at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, as newer models from BMW and Honda are not designed to be as competitive as these two 1980s veterans.(from Wikipedia)" Lastly, 190E and Z both started their own cult of fans and followers.

More info of 190E on Wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/190E

My Z project will certainly continue, but I'll be looking out for that one special 190E 2.3-16 that is going to be mine, someday. It bothers me that I found another "me" car before the Z is finished, but deep down, I am glad that cars I've liked all turn out to be strong, ground-breaking cars in the automotive history.

Any 190E fans here?

Love the 190E, the 4cylinder ones are totally gutless....the 6cylinder would be the one to get or if you are lucky the Cosworth 2.3-16

5050208.001.1M.jpg

Lowered on AMGs they are plain ole tough!

Yasin

Exactly, the 8 valve four cylinder version will drive just like my daily driver(Jetta GLS,auto) or worse due to age. If I ever get one it's going to be either straight 6, dohc 4 or engine swap.

Seeing how the 190E engine bay can fit a straight 6 (again, like the old Z), it'll prolly swallow some bigger engine....hmmm...

I had one dropped ,rims,tinted windows, porche red, body kit and it was SWEET!!!! My brother in law has it now and doesnt run. I always wanted to get it back and put in a 383. I will probably do just that!!!! Ill dig up some pics if I can find them later!!

Terry

It's not ugly. It just looks like a shrunken mercedes of that era. As far as teh woodgrain goes, how is that any different than the current "ricer" and "bling" fads? (I know I'm getting flamed for this but it'll be worth it)

At least the 80's cars started out ugly, so the woodgrain didn't do too much damage. The ricer movement is worse. I wonder what goes on in thier heads. "Lets take a perfectly proportioned small car (like a 10-yr old civic) and let's make it look as outlandishly gaudy and tacky as we can! Sweet, now that's a chick magnet!" "Now, let's take any room left for chicks and fill it with sound equipment! Ya that's f'n sick dude!"

NOw let's put an exhaust that sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, and add brightly colored illegal lights that run all the time and blind everyone else, then drive like a-holes, and when we get pulled over it's police profiling!! So now to prove how badass we are we're gonna give the cop attitude so he can search the whole car!! Fun!!

It's like when this fad started they saw "austin powers" and actually thought it wasn't an exaggeration, so they decided to exaggerate.

I sincerely hope that "topgear" is still filming when this crazy fad is over so we can all watch these automotive tributes to abstract art get destroyed.

I had one dropped ,rims,tinted windows, porche red, body kit and it was SWEET!!!! Terry

Terry, you're such a pimp. VIP style, baby!

Do these videos make you want one even more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNF-W4ucQ4w

(cheesiest driving music award goes to....this video right here!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkSA4Bwru40

And what really made me want to have one was finding this video of a car I'd driven in GT4:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d85e3371-5439-4779-ad1c-982a00594863.htm

I'm a big fan, but never found any in my price range.. not that I need ANOTHER project/fixer anyway! (Dually 1 tone, 280z, 85 RX7 awaiting the V8, uh.. HOUSE, garage...) There are a few around here, but nothing 'pimped out' just stockers driven by older Germans. :)

PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=2&fID=0&tID=15808oooh i like the 190e evo3's. Those loook soooo deadly. I see a nice evo1 in my area. I believe it cost around 10k to fit those kits. Almost got one before i decided on my s30. Main reason i didnt get it is because there's no real aftermarket support for them in the US, and i cant swap it since i live in CA unless i want to go through all of the trouble of making it smoggable. Im thinking about getting a 190d someday and swapping.

I drove an automatic 6-cylinder 1991 190E for about a week (300 miles mixed city-highway) last fall. Competent car, but nothing particularly special. 1st gear would not engage unless the gas pedal were really mashed; otherwise it would leave the line in 2nd. Top gear felt unusually short for a German car; highway rpms were quite busy. Looking under the hood, its swap candidacy did not impress me; the L6 fits snugly, and distance between the strut towers looked considerably less than a Z. But the seats were comfy and the interior felt more solid than in my similar-vintage BMW 325is.