HybridZ

Painless Harness Poll

I've done a bit of searching, but can't find many posts of peoples feelings after installing a Painless Harness. I found several posts of people who were frustrated with trying to make their old corroded harness work and were getting a Painless Harness, but they never post how happy (or disappointed) they were after they installed it.

I'm considering the 12 or 18 circuit non-gm harness (Part#'s 10102 & 10202), and was hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks alot,

This probably isn't the right forum for this question, you might get a better response in the "Electrical" forum.

I just bought a 18 circuit painless harness but I don't know if I'm going to install it this summer or wait till winter when the car is no longer on the road. I would be interested in the feedback on this too.

I figure the wiring can't be that bad just time consuming. It's got to be better than the crusty ol' factory wiring!

Guy

This probably isn't the right forum for this question, you might get a better response in the "Electrical" forum.

I did think about that, and figured mabye the V8 guys were more likely to change their harness since more stuff doesn't match up. Not sure if it was the right move though.

Both 240hoke and I are running the painless 12 circuit harness. It really really cleans up the wiring, and you lose some weight. The fuse box runs the new modern, blade fuses. 240Hoke did my install, you might want to PM him and read the thread he started about the kit.

To add a question to those guys who have done it. How do the kit manufactures determine the length of each wire used in the kit? Won't circuit lengths vary from car to car? Or is each circuits a generous length requiring the installer to cut it to length, which means the installer does the final crimping of the end connectors?

Thanks

To add a question to those guys who have done it. How do the kit manufactures determine the length of each wire used in the kit? Won't circuit lengths vary from car to car? Or is each circuits a generous length requiring the installer to cut it to length, which means the installer does the final crimping of the end connectors?

Thanks

You got it, the kit comes with very long wires so there is plenty of length. They even make a trunk mount kit with even longer wires.

It is a time consuming job however so be prepared for putting in the hours to do it correctly and neatly.

Good point Drew. My thought is that I'm spending so much time tracing, and trying to figure out how to make my factory harness work when I could be spending that time installing the Painless Harness.....not anymore. I'm definately getting a Painless Harness. Since it's not a daily driver, I don't mind taking my time and doing it right.....bottom line is I want it to be right!

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I ran a Painless, and would do it again. Plus it makes the intergration of the MegaSquirt look VERY nice and neat. Just remember to get NEW connectors for as much of the lamps and stuff as you can as that is where I found most of the copper rot (that green dust that you find when you cut an old corroded wire) that was the hardest part but now I have weatherpac type connectors on just about every thing. Also Spend a LARGE amount of time planning your wiring path, dont forget about how it will lay under the carpet, in the footwell, and protect it with proper support and looms. I used adel clamp every 10" or so on the long runs and I duct taped it in place where it runs under the carpet, I was really worried about it chaffing and shorting out I had that happen to me in a old 3rd gen camaro that had an unfused power lead running to the cooling fans thru the fire wall with no grommet, caught on fire while I was driving down the highway, and just for the record I DID NOT WIRE THAT CAR!!! Keith

YUp, There's simply nothing "Painless" about it... The system isn't worth the money, in my opinion... I raved about the lettering pre-printed on the wires, and yea, that's about the ONLY cool thing.... I believe you'd be better off buying a fuse panel and running all your own wires to each circuit.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda... And yea, I'm keeping mine, since it's in the car now, but honestly, I'll never buy another one...

Mike

.... I believe you'd be better off buying a fuse panel and running all your own wires to each circuit.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda... And yea, I'm keeping mine, since it's in the car now, but honestly, I'll never buy another one...

Mike

I hate to go back on what I said in post #12, but I agree with what you said. As I free up circuits while getting rid of unnecessary stuff, I'm staring to think that the only real issue I have with the system is the fuse panel....(and mabye the relays when it comes time to replace them).

speartech is now world known for their wiring harnesses. if you are going to get a harness get one of theirs, but there is no reason why you shouldnt just use a stock harness, expecialy LS1 harness. later after you get the car running you can go back and remove stuff like egr wires etc if you really want to. im not going to though.