HybridZ

My huge radio control project

G.I.jonas

Hey everyone ,just thought i would post on my other hobbie aside from cars(small cars lol).The pics below are of a project that i so far have about 300 hours into!.Its a 3 foot long scratch made rock crawler ..rc of course.Its basically an accumulation of about 500 parts so far and im maybe 1/4 done.I have hand fabbed and machined every part on the vehicle exept the obvious,tires,mini heim joints and such.The axles are worm drive 16:1 with custom scale u joints,ball bearing construction and totallty rebuildable.Both axles are steering axles for the 4x4x4 capability.I had to make my own wheels to suit the vehicle as well as my own oil filled coilover shocks too boot(PITA!!!)lol.I have all parts to finish i just need the time to do so,when done it will use a 24 volt gearhead motor,servo actuated high and low range transfer case as well as 4 wheel steering.I have many more pics but if i had time to put them all on i would think i had time to work on all my projects:p

Specs so far:

38" long

23"wide

About 14 pounds so far,closer to 30 finished

9" high tires

Fully adjustable 4 link suspension

Am i a huge nerd??....yes indeed

15.jpg

14.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

28.jpg

31.jpg

• Administrators

(quoting the kid on the Big-Wheel in the movie, “The Incredibles”)..

“That is totally wicked!!!”

Very cool. Thank you for sharing.

Please keep this thread going with updates as you progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Yup...thats how i am,start something sweet and then hate it for about a year only to work on it again.Well my original axle design became a problem requiring me to reengineer which is why i was disgusted with the project so long.After coming up with a new idea for the gearing i decided to make entirely new axles aside from the original hubs and knuckle assembly.The problem with the old design was the fact that even thought the gear ratio was 16:1 worm drive, the gear driven by the worm was only about 3/8" in diameter so there was so little leverage at the wheels.My new design uses a gear about 2" and the difference is enormous...just turning the pinion shaft by hand i cannot hold the hub with my other hand well enough to keep it from spinning.Between the ratio and the diametral difference i'm thinking that it should put out about 20 times the torque as the old design.Your probably asking yourself "wow,this guy can build this thing yet he didnt think of that until he was done" well...thats a good question,anyways here is what ive got now,the old ones are being scrapped.:flamedevi

32.jpg

Rebuildable worm drive third member:

35.jpg

36.jpg

Brass hubs:use 10x24 stainless screws for studs.Note mini castle nut.

33.jpg

I love my tig welder!!>stainless to mild steel=no prob.

34.jpg

Rear of housing,pinion shaft and upper 4 link mounts:

45.jpg

My homemade block and pin u-joints:

451.jpg

37.jpg

Gearhead motor and future transfer case:

41.jpg

Tires!

42.jpg

Current state of the rest of the project:icon56::

39.jpg

Yeah i know i like my camera and keyboard too much hope you all approve!!