HybridZ

Dirt Biking, weight loss and the freakin "Nutrisystem" diet...

Mikelly

So heres the deal... Last year I bought a little CRF150 dirtbike not long after I moved into the new place... It was fast, set up for mini supermoto racing and was a lot of fun, but too small for serious off roading. Enter my business partner and his need for a KTM400 dirt bike to go with his KTM560 Supermoto. :roll:

So I bit and bought the bone crusher (Yamaha WR250F) from him not long before Xmass, and in February I sent it off to the shop to get it setup for my ever growing arse... Since getting marries five years ago, I'd packed on an additional 50, FITTY, FIVE ZERO POUNDS :shock: So I had the suspension worked so I could have it setup for a 200# person. At that time I was at 230# :shock:, but was on the Nutrisystem diet... Dan Marino Should be shot...

Anyway, I got the bike back about a month ago, and it rides GREAT, flies, doesn't bogg down on the suspension, sticks in corners, but does everything I need it to... And I'm at 200# now, which is great... However, That Nutrisystem diet? Yea, I was on it for 30 days, and in that time span, my blood pressure and my cholestoral went WAY up. :shock: I've NEVER had a problem with either, until this diet. Word to the wise... Consult a physician before going on Nutrisystem. My Dr. told me this was a VERY COMMON short term side-effect to this particular diet... I'm happy to say that an hour of riding the dirt bike 3 times per week has me dropping weight like an aids patient, and I'm more fit than in a long time. I'm also happy to say that the Nutrisystem diet is off my list of things to do...

Who'da thunk "riding" dirt bikes would be such great excersise? :shock:

Back to analysing Aerodata!

Mike

Who'da thunk "riding" dirt bikes would be such great excersise?

Pretty much anyone who's tried it... :-)

Be careful. Its very easy to get hurt starting out on dirt bikes. While riding, its hard to tell how tired you actually are which leads to wrecks. Stop often and take breaks. A good indication of "time to stop" is when your forearms get pumped up and its hard to take your hands off the grips.

Be careful. Its very easy to get hurt starting out on dirt bikes. While riding, its hard to tell how tired you actually are which leads to wrecks. Stop often and take breaks. A good indication of "time to stop" is when your forearms get pumped up and its hard to take your hands off the grips.

Or, when your bubbies say....."Come on, just one more ride today!" I've been riding for years and have GREATEST respect for what these bad boys can get you into and out of. Healing up just isn't quite the same as when we were in our 20's! I ride a CRF450R, set up for the desert, and is as much fun blasting around in the SoCal desert with my riding partners as it is working are local canyons in my Z.....albeit, I sweat alot more on the Honda. My only advise to you Mike is....wear all the protective gear you can, you won't regret it!!!

Tom

Good advice all, and I can assure you I'm not new to dirt... Raced motocross as a kid and have been doing the downhill/montainbike thing for years... Just forgot about MX and how physically demanding it can be...

This bike is a Yamaha WR250F and is piped and jetted, and is stupid fast. I don't get on it at all without my MX boots, knee/elbow pads, chest protector, motoX pants/jersey, and helmet/goggles/gloves/earplugs.

After breaking my wrist last year on the CRF 150, I don't go near the bike without full gear. The downtime is just too long.

Doc, you need other hobbies! Maybe cheat on the right hand with the left? :lmao:

Mike

I agree with ya Mike. I raced offroad for many years eventually won a few A class races. In my opinion dirtbiking is more physical than ANY sport out there. More than soccer, football, formula one etc. If anyone disagrees with that try a 3 hour GNCC harescramble or a 100 mile muddy root infested enduro sometime. Weapon of choice CR250. Ah the smell of two stroke smoke in the morning...priceless. Like Johnc says it's hard to know when you are getting tired so be aware of your surroundings. Then again why am I saying this, you know the deal.

When your going through the woops and your hands are so pumped up you cant control the throttle is the sign you need to pull over or finish the race really really soon.

I dont think you know how demanding it is till you do it for your self.

I agree whole heartedly. I'd forgotten, but man, it's kickin' my butt... An hour doing the heavily wooded trails behind my house and I'm toast!

My business partner races harescramblers, and is doing Pikespeak this year, so maybe I'll be jumping into that whole deal next... He just got back from doing the American Supercamp and learned more in two days than in the past 10 years.

Mike

Aint that the truth! Dirtbikes work muscles you didnt even know you had. I remember the muscle pain on the inner/upper thighs (from gripping the tank with your legs) was always a bitch.

I need to rebuild the carb on my KTM 350...

Aint that the truth! Dirtbikes work muscles you didnt even know you had. I remember the muscle pain on the inner/upper thighs (from gripping the tank with your legs) was always a bitch.

Yeah, I have cracks in my radiator shrouds from griping the bike to tight.

Now I am an Old Fart, I raced back in the "OLD DAYS". Raced Barstow to Vegas, only finished once on a twin pipe CZ, Motos were 3 per race day not 2 as they do today. Anyway me an all of my race buddies use to run every Saturday morning to get our legs in shape, remember we had only about 6" of suspension on the bikes. According to some of the old stories some of the world champs would practice on their bikes I day a week with no seat to work on the legs! Dirt Bikes when you are pushing them use ever muscle in the body. Rather than diet go on a heavy workout program, lots of running and aerobic exercise.

Please always use all of your safety gear hitting the ground without it Hurts!

In my opinion dirtbiking is more physical than ANY sport out there. More than soccer, football, formula one etc. If anyone disagrees with that try a 3 hour GNCC harescramble or a 100 mile muddy root infested enduro sometime.

I have not done this, but I can tell you that freestyle-type fighting (UFC basically) for training is the most exhaustive thing I have ever done. When you go three to five minute rounds again and again and you drop and/or puke after an hour of it, I can tell you it wastes the body much faster than anything else I have done. I did BMX when I was a kid, downhill skied, waterskied, ran track, cross-country, marathons, raquetball, swam, etc, in addition to very hard physical labor, and fighting is by far the most exhausting and rewarding thing I have ever done. I'm not exactly fat, but I dropped 15 lbs within 1 month after beginning Modified Boxing (like kick boxing) even after being in the martial arts. Pants don't fit so well anymore. Heh, I like that.

Davy