HybridZ

Opinions for a second car and can tow the Z!!

Well I have one more year of college left then off to the real world.. LoL

Having my Z as a daily driver sucks to be quite honest.. too hard to keep up with between school and work...

however I will keep the Z and prep it for track use only.. but untill then... I am looking for a nice daily driver..

What dependable daily driver would be good for hauling stuff around and can tow the Z (on a trailer) that is under $8,000 and gets good MPG?!

I know tough decision... I was thinking of a Subaru Forester, Nissan Xterra or some small truck. Can anyone share their experience with a small SUV or truck that is affordable to maintain and can haul a Z around?

I towed my Z from WA to AZ on a dolly with a 91 4runner and it killed the the toy. It did ok on the flats but put it on a grade and it was overmaxed and overheating. So rule it out especialy in the mile high.

You ccn buy good 2000-2001 VG33 powered frontiers for around $8500 around here. They have like 175hp and more torque...

I have an 04 crew cab with the NA VG33 and get 16.5mpg (right foot happy) upto 19mpg with all my college junk @ 75mph (350lbs of stuff)

I have gotten upto 21mpg around town just with a light foot...

I am a huge fan of the nissan pathfinder. We have a 97 with a V6 in it and it is so much fun to drive. Makes a beautiful noise too. Gas mileage isnt the best but that could be a result of an evap problem that our pathy has.

Pathfinder is a really good size, not too big. Really fun for basic offroading. I have taken it to Pismo a couple of times, forded some rivers, and taken it on a couple of trails. It can take almost anything we throw at it but its still a comfortable cruiser with plenty of power.

Buy the Pathfinder. A '90-'93 will run you no more than $3k for a good one. They are the perfect overall vehicle. Comfortable, reliable, spacious, and can easily tow a Z car on a car hauler. I had a '90 and I kick myself daily for selling it before I moved to Phoenix. I will be looking to pick another up myself this year. Aside from iffy gas mileage, around 15mpg, you will love it.

Brian

I have a GMC Safari van (4.3L Vortec V6 and 4L60E) that I've towed several cars (My Z, a Subaru SVX and an 89 Mustang) and a 14ft popup tent trailer with. I've been very happy with it, good power/torque, comfortable to ride in and get decent mileage (18-19 around town, 22-25 on the highway, 15-16 when towing)

If you plan on trailering the Z I'd think about a bigger rig though, the trailer will add quite a bit of weight to the already 2500lb car and if the tow rig is to small the trailer will push it all over the road. It also goes without saying that if you get a used tow rig be sure to go through the brake system, you'll need the best brakes you can get.

Wheelman

I have a GMC Safari van (4.3L Vortec V6 and 4L60E) that I've towed several cars (My Z, a Subaru SVX and an 89 Mustang) and a 14ft popup tent trailer with. I've been very happy with it, good power/torque, comfortable to ride in and get decent mileage (18-19 around town, 22-25 on the highway, 15-16 when towing)

I agree youd need something bigger. We had a Astro van with the same motor and wed toy my sisters horse and trailer and it could hardly handle it. We upgraded to a suburban to be able to tow it. (350 V8)

I too would say pathy, or a 'king cab' nissan truck with the V6. I towed a few cars/trailers full of scrap and dirt with my old 93 pickup, never had a problem. The older pathys have rot issues sometimes in the rear frame over the suspension (depending on climate obviously..) but are a pretty solid overall vehicle. Reliable and cheep to run.

Forget the Forester.. nice CARs, but I think 2200 pounds is the towing capacity, so that might have trouble hauling the trailer alone, never mind the car on it! Now, depending on how often and how far you're going to tow, a bigger rig may be something to look at, but if it's not an everyday thing, why spend/waste more on fuel simply 'driving' a bigger vehicle? I had a 91 GMC dually 1 tone, which would haul almost anything.. but for the most part, I drove around empty.. Big heavy truck, big motor, used the same amount of fuel EMPTY or loaded. And rode like a bag of ass, and took two blocks to turn around!

So now, I'm actually in the process of buying an 01' xterra as it will be better on fuel and a nicer ride, but still able to tow a trailer or something IF I need to. I look at the Xterra as a sort of 'replacement' for the old pathys, as the new ones are BIG and EXPENCIVE suvs now.. but even still, the early model Xterras are still upwards of 10K for anything decent , so I'd say that's a bit out for your price range...

i say the xterra :) i towed the z from durango to denver goin 160 to walsenburg or however it's spelled then up i25.....as long as the AC wasn't on in the hills it did fine, flat ground it didn't realy matter...and i was towin about 4200lb.

Prox, im building a 90 Pathfinder with a v8. http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/index.php3?page=shop/flypage&product_id=427&category_id=6d671ddc4a20931bd740484254c1de5c&ps_session=c0efc2ba95bb579c31ab4e5e026d0791

You can also put in a Chevy 4.3 v6 with that kit, or a Buick V6 with this one http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/index.php3?page=shop/flypage&product_id=428&category_id=6d671ddc4a20931bd740484254c1de5c&ps_session=c0efc2ba95bb579c31ab4e5e026d0791

The reason for my project, is that my Pathfinder fully loaded with people and cargo, barely makes it over the pass to the high desert. Im sure the 4.3 v6 would get great mileage in the Pathfinder. The vg30 has never impressed me. I figure when im done, ill get decent mileage, have enough Torque to pull me over those rocks in the desert when i go camping, and pull a trailer with my Z on it once i do something about the suspension and brakes.

Just a little of what im doing for a daily driver :)

pathfinderv8.jpg

2001 to 2003 Crown Victoria with the tow/handling package. Rated to tow 5,000 lbs, better fuel mileage then any of the trucks listed above, and its got a huge trunk to haul stuff in. Finding a cream puff from an older couple is easy. And its so stealthy that you're good for 15 mph over the speed limit even towin.

The reason for my project, is that my Pathfinder fully loaded with people and cargo, barely makes it over the pass to the high desert. Im sure the 4.3 v6 would get great mileage in the Pathfinder. The vg30 has never impressed me. I figure when im done, ill get decent mileage, have enough Torque to pull me over those rocks in the desert when i go camping, and pull a trailer with my Z on it once i do something about the suspension and brakes.

My brother has a '94 1500 Silverado and tows a 8'-10' trailor loaded with his electical suplies. Gets 15+ with the trailor in mixed city / highway, without the trailor he gets 21+ at his highway cruising of ~75. Nice motor.

2001 to 2003 Crown Victoria with the tow/handling package. Rated to tow 5,000 lbs, better fuel mileage then any of the trucks listed above, and its got a huge trunk to haul stuff in. Finding a cream puff from an older couple is easy. And its so stealthy that you're good for 15 mph over the speed limit even towin.

Grandparents towed a small trailor down from Oregon across the Cascade pass loaded up very heavy. No problem at all. Gets 25+ mpg on the highway. Take out the spare tire in the trunk and you could bury a horse in the trunk :o

So, do you want a vehicle that tows easily or that can tow when needed?