HybridZ

Killing a wild boar

rudypoochris

So, my friends and I want to get into hunting wild boar. My friends grandfather has a pretty large property and a golf cart (which we could use to run from the boar if need be). The idea was to get a rifle and shoot it. The issue is, none of us know what gun to get, we all know some of the basics, but not enough. We plan on going to the shooting range to take a class type thing for begginers to learn about safety primarily.

I do not want to spend to much money and I do not need any frills, just something basic. What kind of caliper do I need? The man at the gun store recommended 270+. What do you all think? I realize hunting boar is dangerous (I have done it before, but I was not shooting, only along for the ride) and I would prefer not to get gored, that being said I am only 155lbs and I don't want something that throws me into the bushes every time I fire it. There was a 410 at the stre used for $80 but that looked like it might break my back. So basically, rifle or shotgun? Caliber? Tips? Etc. Thanks! :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can't aim well with a shotgun, even if you use slugs. shotguns are used for hunter for 1 reason: small fast game like birds. Plus, if you're going to eat the boar, you're going to be picking out pellets for days. Not to mention that a shotgun will piss a boar off more than hurt it.

1.00 caliber is 1 inch. so .270 caliber is .27" or 6.8mm. If you're looking for a solid reliable hunting rifle, look into a Remington 700/710 models. They come with a cheap but decent scope, and are pretty accurate. edit: checked their site, they replaced 710 with 770:

smsil_770.jpg

If you want cheap, effective, and scopeless, get a russian mosin nagant m38/44 or 91/30 rifles from big 5 for about 80-90 bucks. They are 7.62x54r caliber (.30 cal) and have a very good effective range:

arsenal.jpg

from top, #2 is 91/30, #4 is m44. Alternatively you can also use an SKS (#3, semiautomatic, accurate, 10 round capacity) that uses 7.62x39 round (AK47 ammo).

As to type of action, I recommend a bolt-action Mauser type or any bolt-action rifle with controlled feed/claw type extractor : classic Winchester 70, Parker Hale, etc. It's good insurance against double feeding because a Mauser generally won't double feed. If you double feed when the boar is charging at you, you are screwed because once the gun double feeds it can take a long time to clear the malfunction.

As to caliber.... I'd use a 30-06 : bigger than a 270Win, very popular, won WWII, endless ammo choices(you can go into any gun store IN THE WORLD and the store would probably have it on the shelf), can be used as a deer caliber, medium recoil, good flat trajectory, good knockdown power, reasonably priced ammo.

Guest TeamNissan

I dislike how "hunters" get so crazy to min the odds lol. Use a bow or something, give the poor bastard a chance.

Or ya go for something semi auto, or better yet something where you can be 400 yards away when you put it down :-(.

You are going to be upset when I tell you there are businesses that mount a web cam behind a remote controlled rifle turret so their customers can gun down a game while SITTING BEHIND A COMPUTER IN THE COMFORT OF THEIR OWN HOME!!!, or so I've heard.

hit the "kill it now" button.....

Guest TeamNissan

I heard about that actualy lol. Mone of it makes me upset I just dont think people should be so liberal with the term "hunting" is all.

There is a range like that too where you log in to shoot targets from home.

Yeah do it with a handgun! Handguns can be pretty "cheap" and you can get a pretty big one! I bought my .454 Casull last year before deer hunting season came around for $500(I actually traded in my over and under shotgun that I used to for competition sporting clays so it didnt cost me hardly anything after I had a nice scope put on it!).

A 410 shotgun is like a BB gun, no kick and no take down power. Basically its for shooting varmets! I wouldn't use a shotgun either for Boar hunting.

Bowhunting them would be sweet but you would probably want to be in a treestand! LOL Let those little bastards charge the tree not you!

Guy

I think the tree may be the better choice... didn't even think about that. Then again... being stuck in a tree with a pissed off boar on the ground is almost worse...

I can't use a pistol, I am 19 and CA requires you to be 21 I do believe.

What kind of range does a 30-06 get. Is that a .306" bullet? Also what is the cheapest decent scoped rifle, or is the scope overkill? Thanks.

30-06 is 30 caliber, adapted by the US army in 1906, hence the 30-06 designation. started with the 1903 springfield rifle. If you played medal of honor, that's the sniper rifle. Same ammo used in the m1 garand, the 1917 springfield rifle, and the BAR - browning automatic rifle. When the round was developed, it was the era of trench warfare, so you had a bunch of guys shooting each other from 500-1000 yards away from holes in the ground.

So now you know the expected range out of these rounds :) the mosin nagant shown above uses a similar round, which has about 600-800 yards effective range, and i believe they're sighted in for 300 yards from factory.

The reason to keep a sidearm, such as a pistol, is so you have a backup incase of a malfunction, and a 250 lb pig is pissed off charging at you at 20 mph. For a sidearm (and you're right, you can't OWN a handgun, but you can shoot one), you want something with raw stopping power. a 9mm won't cut it, but a .45 caliber 1911 is something worth looking into as a backup for wild game. Personally, I don't hunt, but I believe in this case a revolver would be a better choice.

Why a revolver? Because if you can't get a jam in a revolver, and if you have a misfire, just pull the trigger again to rotate the drum. A semi-auto pistol is nice, but there's just too much margin for error in that situation

Scope is not overkill. Don't pay attention to people saying "oh, hunt it with a bow, at least give it a chance." Think of getting into a fight with someone that can beat the crap out of you in hand to hand combat. First thing I would do is kick the guy in the nuts, I don't care how low it is, I don't like getting hurt :)

Big5 has remington scoped rifles for 300-400 bucks on sale all the time.

070513_2n3DT_E_37a.JPG

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ywz7oa

As far as boar hunting goes my understanding is that you're usually at pretty close range when you shoot. Open sights might be better than a scope. Sometimes when you use a scope up close all you see is fur and it's hard to aim. I think this is particularly a problem when you're in close and whatever it is you're hunting is trying to kill you. That's why you don't see too many people hunting cape buffalo with a 10x scope...

For what it's worth I wouldn't hesitate to use a .270 or a 30-06.

Believe this or not......a good friend of mine told me about his first adventure of hunting down boars on horseback, with dogs, and once the boars had tired some and was somewhat restricted by the dogs and horses, he jumped from the horse onto the back of the boar and slit it's throat with a big old knife....just as bschultz suggests. Really, its a true story.....I told my buddy he was nuts!!!! He said to me....."Oh, but the rush is awsome!" Mind you, this same guys races trophy trucks....how if that isn't enough of a rush in itself!!!

Tom

Believe this or not......a good friend of mine told me about his first adventure of hunting down boars on horseback, with dogs, and once the boars had tired some and was somewhat restricted by the dogs and horses, he jumped from the horse onto the back of the boar and slit it's throat with a big old knife....just as bschultz suggests. Really, its a true story.....I told my buddy he was nuts!!!! He said to me....."Oh, but the rush is awsome!" Mind you, this same guys races trophy trucks....how if that isn't enough of a rush in itself!!!

Tom

Heck yeah! Did y'all think I was joking? lol

If you do use a knife, be sure to get one with a large guard. If the boar is charging and you stab it, it will keep charging up the knife to get to you!

Guy: My uncle has a .454 Casoull and that thing is a beast! I've only shot it once (I was 15 at the time) but I remember that thing putting a huge grin on my face!