HybridZ

What is with the ads?

OlderThanMe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I like this format a lot better. Google ads are actually pretty decent. I actually use their links on the right side bar of my searches. We'll see if they can stay on topic, especially with their bid to buy doubleclick.

Admins - I suggest sometimes browsing the site as a guest to see how the ads look and to judge their relevance. (I don't know anything about the control google gives you over what's displayed) Also, I second the notion about showing members (or even only donating members) something roughly indicating the financial state of HybridZ. Even us college students who end up fabbing parts because they can't afford to buy new should be able to cough up something, knowing it's needed.

SuperDan,

Thank you for the clarification of what is going on.

In regards to the ads. Have your thought about, or would you entertain, the following?...

I’m sure ads on any level wont please even 75% of the members, but I’m sure the members will put up with quite a bit, especially if the donating members have some involvement or at least a teeny voice in what is displayed/sold to us, and to what group it is displayed, (i.e. the “Intimate date†ad, a bit risque..)

Option #1;

Donating members are allowed ad free access, same ole Hybrid that we are used to. Non donating members view the forum in its current iteration with the ads, (I’ve seen other sites offer this, i.e. become a donating member and no ads).

Option 2;

Place limits on the ads that do show up for those donating members, maybe on a sliding scale? The more you donate annually, the fewer ads you have to wade through to read about performance Datsuns. Non donating members get ALL the ads. That in itself is incentive to become a donating member.

Option 3;

No-ads forum… In trying to read between the lines here, seeing ads on Hybrid unannounced, does give the impression that Hybrid Z is need of more financial support. First, I want to make it perfectly clear that we all appreciate the effort in both time and finances that Super Dan and the other admins and moderators make to keep this forum alive and the quality forum that it is. Thank you Dan. Thank you admins and moderators.

Now, if the forum could use more financial assistance, being as it has some 8000 member’s, how much $$ per member is needed to help keep it afloat and justify its existence? I for one would be more than glad to up my donations at least another $10 a year. The wealth of info we glean from this forum is worth way more than most memberships paid. How about the non donating members? Can you guys swing the minimum donation annually? (I feel like I’m doing one of those OPB membership drives now).

Thanks again Dan for the heads up.

Paul Ruschman

So basicly, I have to pay for a site if i want the ad's to go away. I honestly disagree with this idea. While i agree People who donate should get some benefit Its unfair to other user's whom have been on this site for years posting help etc.

This has happened on other forums if watched it go from donate to get rid of ads to monthly payments. While i really support hybridz i see this as a step in the wrong direction.

Plus why even bother donating when you can just get adblock and it will remove everything still seems unfair to donation users.

Ive been here for a little while i support hybridz i just dont want this site to start making me pay when i support and help out aswell

• Administrators

So basicly, I have to pay for a site if i want the ad's to go away. I honestly disagree with this idea. While i agree People who donate should get some benefit Its unfair to other user's whom have been on this site for years posting help etc.

On other sites that have no “donation” system, how do you think they are funded?

Personally I have found out about other business that I did not even know exist by clicking some of these ads, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

This has happened on other forums if watched it go from donate to get rid of ads to monthly payments. While i really support hybridz i see this as a step in the wrong direction.

I’m not sure were you are going with that statement. I hope that you are not implying that I am somehow trying to hold the information on this site hostage in exchange for money. The information on this site has always been and will always be freely available, it’s just been ad enhanced a little.

Plus why even bother donating when you can just get adblock and it will remove everything still seems unfair to donation users.

Then you should do that.

Ive been here for a little while i support hybridz i just dont want this site to start making me pay when i support and help out aswell

I am looking into other options. I have already been PM’d by several donating members who would like to SEE the ads as they feel it adds information and content to the site.

The other option I am working on to solve this problem is to make the ads collapsible for everyone, not just donating members.

Unfortunately I am having a little problem with the code but I hope to have it worked out soon.

This is the best site ever, and if one has to put up with a few ads or donate to get rid of them then hey that is what it takes.

I would be totally lost without HybridZ, It is worth whatever to keep this site going. The contributing members weither it be with their vast knowledge and experience or with money or both are what make this site the best.

Donate and add go away is ok with me.

Mac plus Safari or Firefox=no popups.

Greg

I don't mind the ads. I noticed it yeasterday when I brought up hydridz and wasn't logged in. I use all the other car forums out there that have tons of ads and it has never bothered me, the information is there and is easily accessible. just my 2 cents

These ads are not very annoying (IMO anyways) compared to alot of marketing ploys I see on the net these days. So far I dont have a problem with them here at HybridZ. Especially if they help Dans bottom line when the monthly bills start pouring in...again.