HybridZ

240z + ld28

Darrel

So, is this a joke? Sounds like a gas motor to me, with a valve cover hack job. The poster's comments seem to indicate a hoax. Everyone seems to know of an LD Z, but none materialize... Oh well

So, is this a joke? Sounds like a gas motor to me, with a valve cover hack job. The poster's comments seem to indicate a hoax. Everyone seems to know of an LD Z, but none materialize... Oh well

Definitely diesel (aren't they LD24?). There was a veggied 2+2 diesel 240Z but the guy sold it along with the website (veggiecar.com). I think it was also turbocharged. Ugly, but cool. I think he said he got it to 140mph.

There was the turbo biodiesel Z and then the one in the video.

Here is a thread from the owner of the Z in the video.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=1070&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The diesel guys are getting really uptight that us Z car people are raping "their" junkyard diesel engines for the cranks... They also use the word cannibal... If they want the motors so bad then they should go buy them up...

The diesel guys are getting really uptight that us Z car people are raping "their" junkyard diesel engines for the cranks... They also use the word cannibal... If they want the motors so bad then they should go buy them up...

OTM: Can you really blame them?? We ARE raping their junkyard engines. How would you feel if you were an old nissan diesel guy in the US and could no longer find parts? $300 for a crankshaft for an old japanese engine is kinda steep; more than it would be given production numbers, if the postmortem demand weren't so high. I am just trying to say that we DO have a negative impact on them, so there's no reason to react to their "uptight" type of attitude.. its kinda justifiable.

And I for one would love to see photos or videos of a turbodiesel Z car.. I have wanted a turbodiesel L series in a datsun 4x4 pickup since I was a little kid and I learned what a diesel really was...

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, funny guy. No. You want .wav or mp3?

I've never heard a diesel that sounded that decent, or had any kind of throttle response. I also mistook the fuel lines and injectors for plugs/plug wires. For the record, I own a diesel truck and a pretty built 3.1 stroker L6. I wish my truck sounded like that, the turbo probably prevents that.

if thats what your motor sounds like then its in trouble

• 2 months later...

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but this Z is beyond cool...and the thing is HAULING on that long run.

We shouldn't ignore our diesel brethren...if you gut an LD28 for the crank, have the decency to offer what's left to them.

Somebody should start producing new stroker cranks for the L28 based on the LD28 crank.

...just too weird hearing a Z idle like that. Makes me giggle.

Everyone seems to know of an LD Z, but none materialize... Oh well

Kieth Bailey has one, and drove it from NC to Syracuse getting 40+ mpg at speeds in excess of the legal limit...

The top speed is limited to around 112/115mph with a 3.7 gear and later ZX Gearbox, you will turn 4750rpms at 125 if I recall, and the Diesel will only crank powerfully around 4000. With a 3.36 stock rear end, the horsepower shortfall from the NA LD28 limits you to just over 100 mph from what he said. The 3.7 would be the 'performance' gearset allowing fastest time to top speed...if that is what you are looking for in a diesel.

Crank vampires is overstating it a bit, the Forklift Diesels are available in abundance, and they are preferrable to the Maxima units because they have already installed a rear-sump configuration oil pan and pickup.

And if you source the LD28T from a forklift (or the Euro Vehicles that came with them) then you end up with something like 96HP+, which is more than enough to make the diesel comparable in top speed with most stock petrol cars, performing better at some things.

Kieth took his oil-burning 240Z on to the slalom track at Syracuse which was very tight and twisty---his time was VERY competitive with cars having much more HP... The diesel grunted and torqued out of corners belching black smoke and making time where the Petrol Cars simply floundered till they got up into the rpm range.

As for 'never hearing a diesel that sounded that decent' go take a vacation in Europe and see if your thoughts don't change. My ride in the Alfa Romeo Taxicab from Malpensa Airport at well over 170KPH had me asking the driver "Petrol?"----to which he replied "No, Diesel!"

Our technology in the USA regarding passenger car diesels is woefully behind the times, retarded in large part by governmental meddling.

Good info Tony! Yeah, Europeans do have some goodies. I wish I could get my hands on a Eurovan I5 TDI (um, just the engine). I drove the crap out of one for almost a week in Spain. Very decent and even quiet. Also, in Europe they have performance diesel cars... imagine that? I'd love to have one of those AMG Mercedes diesels we can't get. And I'm still waiting on a V10 TDI Toureg test drive. Dealers won't exactly order one just for me to flog for a few minutes.

Anyway, I was born and raised in Germany, and have been across Europe and the Mediterranean. I fondly recall an autobahn trip in a friend's fathers top of the line Citroen @130mph for a half hour straight. Even so, I still haven't heard a diesel that sounded as decent as that Z.

I think the diesel's image in the US can largely be blamed on GM, and their terrible diesel passenger cars of the late 70's/early 80's. The average American only knew diesels as stinky, loud, smoking slow cars that blew up.

• 5 months later...

Somebody should start producing new stroker cranks for the L28 based on the LD28 crank.

Someone is and has been for a while. Kameari in Japan sell them. But it will cost you an arm and a leg :(.

Its a fully counterweight light weight crank though.

*low whistle* Good lord. I just made the mistake of looking at Kameari USA's site and products section. You're not kidding. For the price of a kit alone, one might be able to do an LSx swap.

...while we're on the topic, how difficult would it be to turbo an LD28? Has anyone done it?