HybridZ

Best place to live near Charlotte, NC?

DavyZ

Ah, the other shoe dropped in the form of a phone call from a superior who told me I would not be relocating to Atlanta, GA. I was a bit bummed when he said that because Mike kZ and large group of HybridZers are out there too :(

Anyway, the good news is I am still relocating to a nice place and working in Charlotte, NC! The position within the company is even better for me so I'm stoked AND I know that there are more than a few HybridZers out that way too :D

So, my question is this: is there anyone who knows where the best place to live in or near Charlotte is? I need to buy a 6 bedroom home and would love to have a 3 car garage. I'm open to living outside the city in a small town so long as the commute is decent (under 45 min) and the schools (this is important) are very good. I'll be in corporate housing for a couple of months while my house sells in the Bay Area, so I'm not really in a "hurry" to find something. Heck, I can even rent for a while during my quest.

Thanks for any info!

Davy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davy,

Welcome to the south.

I live just north of Charlotte. Easy 45 min commute. You want to stay out of Mecklenburg county. The schools suck and the taxes are high. The two adjoining counties that are the place to live are Union county and Cabarrus county. Both have great schools, reasonable taxes and with in you commute window.

I live in Harrisburg. Nice small town. Weddington is in Union county. Also a nice smaller communtiy.

Good luck. Let me know if you need a realtor. I know a few.

Davy:

I grew up just outside of Charlotte in Waxhaw (Union County). Back then it was about 30 min. drive through the country. Now, Waxhaw is almost Charlotte - one of the fastest growing bedroom communities of Charlotte.

Based on what you're looking for, take a look at the Ballentyne area. Easy access to 485 (the loop around Charlotte) higher end property, but also good schools, shops, close to everything, etc. If Ballentyne is too expensive for what you're looking for, widen the search from there by about 20 miles and you'll find a lot of good areas to buy homes in.

HTH,

Bryan

Dat240zg

Worst thing about Charlotte is the traffic, I77 is always a nightmare. That being said though its a great place to live... plenty of car things going on and race parts suppliers.

I live in Mooresville which is about 20 miles north of Charlotte appropriatly named "Race City USA" its a great place to be but the traffic for the commute would be pretty tough.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Al: I have to be there by July 1.

mark: that's the kind of advice I need, thank you. I think the company is handing everything, but if need be, I'll holler for a real estate agent.

jknc90: thanks!

dat240zg: Funny, but my wife thinks that Waxhaw is waaay outside of Charlotte. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the tips.

Austin: Thanks for the I77 warning. I figured that NC would be good for a few 'parts' being NASCAR country and all ;)

I'll be looking a little bit and busting my tail trying to get ready to leave. I have a feeling I'll be gone before my wife & kids will, but that's life. Thanks again for all the info--it's what I need :2thumbs:

Davy

Davy,

Welcome to the south.

I live just north of Charlotte. Easy 45 min commute. You want to stay out of Mecklenburg county. The schools suck and the taxes are high. The two adjoining counties that are the place to live are Union county and Cabarrus county. Both have great schools, reasonable taxes and with in you commute window.

I live in Harrisburg. Nice small town. Weddington is in Union county. Also a nice smaller communtiy.

Good luck. Let me know if you need a realtor. I know a few.

I agree with Mark, and Mark you live in Harrisburg? You are literally 5 minutes from my apartment at college. Anyways greetings man! I go to college in charlotte so i spend most of my time there.

I agree with Mark, and Mark you live in Harrisburg? You are literally 5 minutes from my apartment at college. Anyways greetings man! I go to college in charlotte so i spend most of my time there.

Small world. UNCC is one of the schools my son is looking at.

I live about an hour north(west) of Charlotte (in morning traffic), In Lincoln County.. might be a bit far to drive depending on what part of Charlotte you're are working in. Gaston County butts up against Mecklenberg.. but I'm not that fond of Gastonia either..

Denver http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Denver,+nc&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=35.342015,-81.03241&spn=0.511933,0.925598&z=10&iwloc=addr

is about 20 minutes or so from Mooresville and has quite a few options as far as housing goes. And Lake Norman is right there. A new Hwy 16 is in the process of being built an will have a straight shot to Charlotte.

Davy:

There's been a pretty strong Z group in the greater Charlotte area for some time now. There is a little town just southeast of Charlotte called Indian Trail and it used to have a great Nissan shop. Don't know if Jimmy is still in business, but he was good - not that you'd have to take your Z to anyone. Kinda reminded me of Cousin Eddy on Christmas Vacation. :)

Bryan

What part of or where in Charlotte is the business located - that might help those that know the area give you the best info on where to look.

You know, I'm not sure. I'll look it up and see if I can get the information before Monday.

Davy

Davyz

Welcome to NC. I moved to Raleigh from Florida back in 85 and have loved living here. I would not want to live anywhere else. One thing that I noticed is that the cars don’t rust as fast here. I had a CJ7 for 20 years and never had to worry about rust. Now I have a 280Z that I bought from someone in Charlotte. It has very little rust on it. I now live in Zebulon east of Raleigh and I am in the middle of doing a swap. Putting in an RB20.