Dragonfly

Yes...

780-053.jpg

780-036.jpg

780-039.jpg

780-034.jpg

780-050.jpg

780-027.jpg

Here is the post these came from http://forums.beyond.ca/st/178859/skyrine-destruction/

It was mentioned in there that the stock flywheel had been machined down... in the past I had my stock flywheel machined down and when I took it out I found several spider cracks in it. I personaly do not recomend getting your stock flywheel machined.

Dragonfly

Ouch, that's going to set you back a few. Luckily that piece didn't shoot

through the inside of the car. I remember my friend telling me I'd have to

get some kinda of protection if you get those light flywheels, now I see

why.

I personaly do not recomend getting your stock flywheel machined.

Amazing pics.

I wouldnt say stock flywheel machining is bad across the board. It's a combination of how much you take off, what kind of power youre putting through it, and what kind of clutch you use. Pretty clear that guy went overboard in one or more of those.

- Greg -

OMG! this sux but im kinda happy to see it considering i had an appointment to have my flywheel lightened tomarow. I didnt think that could happen. at 1st i thought it was just a broken clutch and flywheel, i didnt see the hood and other stuff

OMG! this sux but im kinda happy to see it considering i had an appointment to have my flywheel lightened tomarow. I didnt think that could happen. at 1st i thought it was just a broken clutch and flywheel, i didnt see the hood and other stuff

I don't have any pictures of my old flywheel but I had it lightened from stock to 16.5 lbs. The day I went to pick it up Jim Wolfe (of JWT) was there and we talked about my newly lightened flywheel, he told me that I should be very careful and should inspect it on a regular basis because he had found in the past that they do not disipate heat properly and tend to get super fine cracks in them. Do you know how hard it is to inspect your flywheel on a regular basis... after doing it once I figured it was no big deal... wrong, when I took my car down for other work after about 5000 miles on the lightened (machined) flywheel I found it had overheated and turned blue in three places it was also riddled with spider cracks, that thing was probably only a few hard launches away from looking like the one in the pictures above.

I am now running a Fidanza flywheel with a custom clutch and pressure plate that are designed to handle more than twice the power I am putting out as well as more power than the transmission could survive. I should not have that problem again in the future, but I am seriously thinking about getting a scatter shield and a drive shaft loop for my car. Personal opinion here but I think in the long run you are better off to pay more for an engineered from scratch light flywheel over paying a machine shop to remove material from your stock flywheel to bring the weight down even remotely close to that of a flywheel like the Fidanza.

Dragonfly

Yeha you are lucky, years ago and guy here in MD had a peice of tranny guts come through the floorpan and into his leg, mainly that big ass artery in his thigh. the track staff thought the car just broke and pulled off the track so he didn't oil down the track. Buy the time the tow truck got to the car and they realized he was hurt he had died.

Yeha you are lucky, years ago and guy here in MD had a peice of tranny guts come through the floorpan and into his leg, mainly that big ass artery in his thigh. the track staff thought the car just broke and pulled off the track so he didn't oil down the track. Buy the time the tow truck got to the car and they realized he was hurt he had died.

:shock:im afraid to drive now. thats gotta suck. may sound insensitive, but if imma die at the track, i want it to be in a rolling fireball, not bleeding to death due to a blown tranny.:burnout: