HybridZ

Holy crap, it actually started!!!

After 4 1/2 months I finally was able to attempt starting my LT1 swap. Oh sure, its still on jack stands, there is no driveshaft or exhaust, the heater hoses go nowhere, the complete Z28 wiring harness is lying on the car floor the whole interior including the dash is out of the car........but it started!!!!! I am sure you guys know how I feel right now. But this undertaking has been something of a learning curve for me. I haven't done anything quit like this before. I've played around with cars a lot and even built a kit car, but this was over the top for me. I choose to do some things I probably shouldn't have attempted, like using the Z28 fuel tank and wiring harness and building a custom dash all of which have unique problems. But its all coming together at long last. Now I need to get that driveshaft measured and installed so I can see if this thing will drive and hopefully meet my expectations.

For those who don't know my car is a '77 280Z and the swap is a '94 Z28 LT1 and a 4L60E tranny using JTR stuff.

http://www.dejavideo.net/280z8/280Z-LT1-starts.wmv

Please right click on the video link and download it, I have limited bandwidth on my site.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched your video, CONGRATS.....YEAH, been there and know the feeling well!

btw

couldn,t help but notice you appear to be and older geezer like ME! (59)

213735395.jpg

its nice to see that all the younger college age kids on the site are not the only ones posting

CONGRATS DALE!!! I know that feeling too and I'm about to know once similar once this tranny ordeal is finished and it's back on the ground.

btw, couldn't help but notice you appear to be and older geezer like ME!

Glad "I" didn't say that :o

My congat's as well. Even though the first engine start on my swap was quite a while back, I still remember the feeling well. I let out a whoop that I'm sure the neighbors heard...as if they didn't hear the open header engine running first.

:lmao:

I watched your video, CONGRATS.....YEAH, been there and know the feeling well!

btw

couldn,t help but notice you appear to be and older geezer like ME!

its nice to see that all the younger college age kids on the site are not the only ones posting

Thanks. Oh yeah, I'm older than water, LOL.

My congat's as well. Even though the first engine start on my swap was quite a while back, I still remember the feeling well. I let out a whoop that I'm sure the neighbors heard...as if they didn't hear the open header engine running first.

:lmao:

Hey, thanks man. Your ride as been inspiration for me from the start. Still have a pict of your engine on my garage wall!

CONGRATS DALE!!! I know that feeling too and I'm about to know once similar once this tranny ordeal is finished and it's back on the ground.

btw, couldn't help but notice you appear to be and older geezer like ME!

Glad "I" didn't say that :o

Thanks Warren. I had issues this weekend even getting the starter to kick. Seems I didn't fully understand the GM anti-theft system like I thought I did. Anyone want to buy one of those EBay vats bypass modules? If you still use the vats box you don't need that thing.

LOL, I've been called worse by much lesser people!

Cool, A friend of mine just got one same year, same color. Does yours have the targa top?

Nope, standard body. Seems like silver was a very popular color. Mine was repainted when I got it but I don't know if the color is Datsun or not. Honda touch up paint is very close.

Congrats Dale......

I can still remember my 1st big project back when I was 16 with my 1969 Chevelle..... I know exactly how you feel.... Hey by the way it only gets better. Wait till you give it a spin around the block.

Look forward to seeing the finished project at SEZ next year.

John

Congrats Dale......

I can still remember my 1st big project back when I was 16 with my 1969 Chevelle..... I know exactly how you feel.... Hey by the way it only gets better. Wait till you give it a spin around the block.

Look forward to seeing the finished project at SEZ next year.

John

Thanks John. I still have a lot of work to do but it will be there in March, too bad the Sept event won't happen this year.

Way to go Dale! You know I've been watching your progress with interest as I'm about three months be hide you. Nice job. Can't wait to hear mine roar. Good to see us old guys still can get her done. Congratulations!! Lee

LOL, some days I feel like I'm too old to be playing with hotrods, but its still fun and that all than matters.