HybridZ

I wonder how this would sound on a car!

well i cant put it on now, my dad thinks the back pressure will blow the engine...... I tried to tell him it is just a glass pack. But i got bitched out for thinking i know more than him about mechanics.OK so what is the worst that could happen.

well i cant put it on now, my dad thinks the back pressure will blow the engine...... I tried to tell him it is just a glass pack. But i got bitched out for thinking i know more than him about mechanics.OK so what is the worst that could happen.

blow the muffler off?

it may have been designed for a 450cc, but i bet a muffler designed for a 1000cc sportbike or even a 600 should flow enough. Figure those things being 1000cc at 16k rpm, is more or less the same as 2800cc at 6000rpm.

Slightly off topic, my friend's ninja 600RR redlines at 16500rpm.....it sounds ridiculous. Are there any street bikes that spin much higher than that?

It won't blow your motor. The worst it will do is just slow your car down. It looks cool... but get a real muffler.

I have a Yoshimura slip-on for a Blackbird and the the pipe is 2.5" going into the muffler but then again the engine is like 1100cc's. I'm thinking of using it on my L28ET as I only spent 40 bucks on it. If I could find another just like it I'd run two side by side.

• Administrators

As Buzy said, You won’t hurt your engine by using that restrictive muffler. I repeat, you will NOT blow up your engine with the excess back pressure that restrictive muffler would create. Though if you are under 18 and still living under Dads roof, you’ll be better served respecting your fathers wishes. Parents respond real well to a child who is respectful of parental authority. And in the long run, you’ll benefit, trust me… wink.gif

The mechanics of what is happening…

That restrictive muffler just adds considerable back pressure in the exhaust system and as a result, the cylinders wont be able to rid all the spent gasses out of the cylinder and keeps some of that now inert gas in the chamber for the next cycle, just as the EGR valve functions. Reducing intake charge density. Excessive back pressure is sort of like an automatic EGR. (OEM uses Exhaust Gas Recirculation to keep combustion temps down and the resultant oxides of Nitrogen from excess combustion temps in check). Power will be down as result of not being able to breathe as much combustible air fuel into the cylinders AND from the pumping losses associated with exhaust back pressure. Also, if your exhaust system is not up to snuff, i.e. any of the portion of the exhaust system is old and really corroded, the added pressure in the exhaust could blow it out at the point. It would just show you what part of your exhaust system was about to go in the next few thousand miles anyway. More than likely, nothing will happen other than a noticeable loss of power, loss of fuel mileage, maybe little quieter, maybe a bit of “whoosh” noise at WOT, but that’s about it.

Good friend and sometimes poster here, Dave Lum, (has a Ron Tyler installed VG30DETT in a 2dr 510), purchased a 510 wagon that the previous owner installed a small motorcycle muffler on. It was relatively quiet at cruise, at wide open throttle it sounded like the exhaust of a jet engine. A somewhat loud whooshing sound, sounds a lot like tires skidding without the squealing noise. I’m sure you all have heard some car drive by and they floor it and just makes an obnoxious “whooshing’ noise? That is what it sounded like, a VERY choked exhaust trying to escape. When he installed a real exhaust under the car, it sounded much better and that little L-4 was pulling harder in the upper RPM range.

Darn kids playing with motorcycle parts on their cars.. … Next they will be using 12v computer fans stacked in series in their intake as electric super chargers… or maybe even leaf blowers.. frankie.gif