HybridZ

How to sell stuff better on Ebay??

OlderThanMe

I am getting into selling stuff on Ebay now.

I just sold a valve cover an made a *small* profit off of it.

I'm wondering what can be done to make items sell better?

Taking good photos helps things sell and I have tried to do that.

I just took a shelf in my garage and turned it into my photo box.

Any suggestions for making my photos better?

This first one is fuzzier than the one I put on Ebay.:-|

m97743147.jpg

This one was in the ad.:icon6:

m97743033.jpg

I have this 16g TD04 water/oil cooled turbo with exhaust manifold and downpipe that I want to list on ebay.

Should I tear everything down and powdercoat or rattlecan it in hi-temp black before selling? Or should I just sell it as is?

m96558706.jpg

Thanks for any tips!!

OTM/Dan

If you dont care about tearing it down...I would make it look good though, dont rattlecan it or the customer will give you bad ratings and thats what you dont want. If your gonna powdercoat it get it done right.... I posted DPE wheels on ebay and took pictures from far away and close ups, I just cleaned the wheels good and put like 5 or 6 pics up. Be descriptive in your post. Post how much shaft play it has and the condition. Dont start with too high of price either, start low or the least you would sell it for. Hope this helps!!

So here are some photos of a pickup emblem that I'm going to list.

I only paid a buck for it at the JY so I should make something from it.

What should I use or get different pictures? Leaning toward the third picture.

(in ebay sized pics...)

s97919577.jpg

all my junk in the background..whoops.

s97919895.jpg

s97919717.jpg

I've found that when selling items that are valuable, but only to a few people, (i.e. vintage car parts) you need to list your item at a fixed price. If you have something special, don't be afraid to list it for top dollar. If it is worth XX amount of dollars to you, then it is probably worth at least XXX amount of dollars to somebody else.

Example: I had a xj6 dash in mint condition. I knew there was somebody out there willing to pay at least $400. So, I listed it at $400 buy it now. It sold within hours and I got numerous emails from people saying they would have paid twice that.

-Joe

I've found that when selling items that are valuable, but only to a few people, (i.e. vintage car parts) you need to list your item at a fixed price.

Once I get the reputation points to be able to list stuff for Buy it now I'll do that.

Thanks for the tips!

I had some ideas about selling as well.

End selling date around paydays

End selling time in the evening when people are drunk and tired....haha

I guy I know bid a $17000 kit car in Florida, He lives here in hawaii, He was on some valiuims or something, now he cant sell it for 10k.

Just some thoughts, dont know if they work though - HawaiiZ

You have to have a certain rep to use Buy It Now? I must have had enough points before I started selling because I've always had that ability.

On the sell things better topic, I'm having a hard time getting rid of my MS-II ECUs. Personally I think I list good pics and set a decent price, however of the two I've sold they sold slow and to top it off I had to lower the price to where I barely made anything on it. My current one listed I have $380 and I refuse to lower it. I'm tired of cutting my profits just to move them. I don't see how other people sell them at $400 or $410.

I had some ideas about selling as well.

Just some thoughts, dont know if they work though - HawaiiZ

All good advice. Consider all factors, like time zones across the US and weekend bartime. I like ending on Sunday evening. I think sometimes too much info/huge auction listing can also turn some people off.

The payday thing is correct, but do not end your auctions in the evening. I ended some auctions at something like 6 PM on a Friday which should fill both the above qualifications and I basically gave most everything away. The problem I figure is that people were out on Friday night or on their way home and weren't there to bid. Since then I've tried to end auctions between noon and 2 PM and I've had better response.

The payday thing is correct, but do not end your auctions in the evening. I ended some auctions at something like 6 PM on a Friday which should fill both the above qualifications and I basically gave most everything away. The problem I figure is that people were out on Friday night or on their way home and weren't there to bid. Since then I've tried to end auctions between noon and 2 PM and I've had better response.

Yeah, Friday and Sat evenings are no-nos. That's why I like Sunday. Who's not home Sunday night?

Sunday 6 P.M. Pacific ending time seems to get the best time zone spread.