HybridZ

Got my new motor today :)

240hoke

Well I finally decided on a power plant. Found the motor locally with 400 miles on it! The car was wrecked on a test drive.

Its a Vq35de from a 2004 350Z. The plan right now is to get her in and running NA and de-bug her and boost it down the road.

Anyway hope you enjoy :)

IMG_0661.sized.jpg

IMG_0652.sized.jpg

Excellent choice. I'm actually considering the VQ as well, VQ40 block from a fronty, path, or xterra with 350Z, G35 heads.

I havn't looked into boosted VQ's much, But They can make good power in n/a form as well.

Good luck with your swap, and keep us updated!

I'm excited about getting started. Although it will be a month or so since I'm still in school for the summer.

I think the biggest job to tackle is going to be the EMS and wiring since its all connected to the key etc. I will more then likely end up ditching everything and running stand alone.

These motors have notoriously weak rods and with throw a rod if you push them much over 400 hp for long. Built of course the sky is the limit. My buddies 350z is putting down 550hp and she drives just as smooth as stock but pulls like crazy.

But for now with 300hp stock she should be fun and have great drivability for a while that along with the beautiful VQ sound.

:)

hmm... There was a guy at Zdayz supposedly making like 700 something horsepower on stock internals.

Austin, I think the VQ will go great in your Z. Looks like mucho fun!

Nope I can't see 700HP on stock internals, atleast not for more than one pull on a dyno LOL. Austin hit the nail on the head, the rods are the weak link and start to fail at around 400WHP. My buddies old 350Z turbo blew its first engine at 400WHP. #2 rod failed and started knocking BAD!

Austin are you going to build it up before installing the engine in the car or are you going to install it stock and then pull it out later to build it up?

Nice choice of engine, I love the way they pull with boost!

Guy

OTM that guy at Zdayz was probably Shariff(sp?) of Forged Performance, if you are talking of hte black car from last year. The motor in that car was completely built. I believe at the time he was putting down 680hp and now has over 800.

I will be using it stock with stock internals for a good while...but when there time comes there is definatly plenty of aftermarket support.