HybridZ

muffler for turbo motor borla or magnaflow

bobbyc

if you had to choose between the two on a turbo motor which would it be? both straight through but just in terms of sounds and overall quality.

reason i ask is i like the sound of the magnaflow...but really like this borla muffler

bor-40941.jpg in the 3"

if you had to choose between the two on a turbo motor which would it be? both straight through but just in terms of sounds and overall quality.

reason i ask is i like the sound of the magnaflow...but really like this borla muffler

bor-40941.jpg in the 3"

Borla XR-1:)

bor-40941.jpg in the 3"

It doesnt look like there is much room for fiberglass packing in that muffler so it might be alittle loud. Although thats a very nice looking muffler. how much is that borla compared to the magneflow?

they are fairly comparable in price...a few bux difference. i've never heard a borla on a turbo motor...that's the reason i'm torn. i loved the 3" open pipe i had before...but since i moved to denver i thought i should quiet it down just a tad.

I have a 2.5" Str8 thru Magnaflow and it's definitely quieter than that Borla. I also added a resonated tip to clean up the sound a little.

It's loud under load but quiet off the gas.

You know what struck me the most about this video?

I REALLY like the way you get in the car and start your engine. every single time, (or as near as possible, for cold starts at the very least) you should crank, and let idle for a few moments, AT LEAST. I like to blip just like you did, let it idle a bit more, blip a couple times, and then pull out into the road.

basically, any OHC engine needs to get oil pressure built up before you make it rev.. cold cranking a car and immediately revving it up is bad, and I think it is easy to see why. I also think that the opposite, letting the engine oil itself well before stressing it with higher RPMs, can only be good for the life of a motor.

Guest 280ZForce

I vote borla just to be different and it looks good too.

i used an apexi n1 turbo muffler for awhile... straight through 3" inlet design, sounded bad ass, but then again mine was a stroker L series.

But my old engine setup and old exhaust setup....

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/280zforce/My%2078%20Stroker%20Turbo%20280z/?action=view&current=RevFromBack.flv

I've sold that and moved onto bigger and better now... I fabbed my own downpipe and exhaust outta 4" mandrel bent tubing all the way back...with a 4" straight thru muffler. Car is still under construction in my garage, so no idea on sounds yet.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/280zforce/Beast%20Rebuild/IMG_3645.jpg

well...that style borla i posted only comes in the 2.5....the 3" looks just like a regular muffler. so i purchased this one

14819.jpg

i think i'll be happy...the exhaust is just about complete...just have to wait on the final mandrel bends to come in and rap up from the final turn under the dif and back.

exhaust.jpg

finally took the time to make it follow the underside of the car and fit in all the nooks so it tucks up nicely.

exhaust.jpg

I've used the Borla X-1 race muffler (3") and the MagnaFlow. I preferred the Borla

Nice job running the bends Bobby C. I noticed your floor pan replacement shot there in that pic, would you have any more pics of the pan fix you could share with me?

I have a new pair waiting on me to make a move with. Your work appears to be quite nicely done.

If you could PM me some, I'd really appreciate it....

I had a bridgeport 13b with two 3" borlas, it was almost quiet at lower rpms , but a full 10,000 rpm wail it had a nice deeper sound. If you know rotaries it hard to quiet them.. It also stood up to the heat with out burning out and getting louder..... Best sounding and lasting muffler in my opinion....

• 3 weeks later...
If you know rotaries it hard to quiet them

I used to run a speed shop along side of another industrial business I owned in the same building for years and years. After dynotuning a 13B that had been bridge ported (and used a T78 IIRC), I saw white dust on everything. It took me a while to realize that that thing had been so dang loud it knocked the dust off of the ceiling when years of other cars never had. LOL

From what I've read, all of the "engine masters" competitors from this year like the Magnaflow mufflers for best power. I think the top 10 guys there were all using maganflows. That should tell you something.

"EVERYONE a the Engine Master contest used Magnaflow mufflers. I did test several others, but NONE were better on a 750 HP engine. The H pipe ,or X pipe setup is just for WEAK SUCK small blocks ( 302 Fords )It helps low speed power ( 4000 and less )Most BB anything have too much low speed power allready ( hense, you do not need it )A few years ago, I did some dyno testing on a 454 street motor. He brought his entire mandrell bent 3 inch exhaust, with the famous X pipe. Compared to my dyno headers, it LOST power every where. Poor guy, he spent 900 dollars on the trick exhaust pipes. Since I found out how good the Magnaflow stuff is, I always run all my dyno testing with mufflers.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES"

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7074

Regards,

Justin

• 2 weeks later...
Dynomax Ultraflo for turbo engines.

I second that. They're super cheap, sound great, and they'll last as long as most people will stick with the same exhaust (or even same car). They're not quite as pretty as the Borla, but they're under your car and you can paint them some color if you feel like anyway.

Some guy on turboford.net ran a flow test a year ago on several mufflers and straight pipe and found the Ultraflow flowed better than a straight pipe. It had something to do with vacuum being created somewhere on the other side end of the muffler. Of course, I'm sure of two things: 1) most straight-throughs will do the same and 2.) the placement of the muffler as the last piece in the exhaust is the only reason it created this vacuum.

Incidently, after hearing a very quiet 350WHP 300ZXTT at the last Z-meeting, I think I've resolved to run two oval 3" Ultraflows in series for my next setup. I MIGHT piece in the 2nd muffler so I can unbolt it and put in a "test pipe" instead in case I decide I like more sound sometimes.

The results in HP order:

1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq

2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq

3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq

4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq

5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq

6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq

7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq

8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq

9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq

10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq

11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq

12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq

13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq

14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq

15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq

16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq

17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.

2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.

3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.

4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.

5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.

6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.

7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.

8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.

9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.

10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.

12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.

13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.

14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.

15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.

16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

http://forums.stangnet.com/archive/index.php/t-392314

This test may not be accurate for a turbo car as I noticed the "no muffler" test showed lower power then those with mufflers.

• 1 month later...