HybridZ

how do you properly clean a head cylinder?

Avoid using a citrus based degreaser on aluminum. A simple way I've degreased a head is to mostly fill a 5 gallon bucket with Simple Green and stick the head in the bucket for a couple days, turning it 180 degrees on day 2.

I think gas or simple green sounds like a pretty safe way of doing it, I just want to keep the valve springs and cam on there when I do it. So should I spray it down with water afterwards to get all of the chemicals off? Or would that lead to rust? I'm thinking if I dry it really good afterward than it will be ok, but thats why I'm asking the experts. :o

If you use the simple green then you would have to rinse it with water to get ti off. The gas will just evaporate. If you do go the simple green and rinse route though, take either an air compressor or canned air to it after to get the water out of all the little spaces.

i just bought a air tool from Princess Auto and it claims to be an engine cleaner and hase an tube that u stick in a chemicial , but it does say what to use with it, any suggestions? the chemical tube and air pressure are ajustable as there is a adjusting knob on top.

has anyone ever used this thing?

bob

i just bought a air tool from Princess Auto and it claims to be an engine cleaner and hase an tube that u stick in a chemicial , but it does say what to use with it, any suggestions? the chemical tube and air pressure are ajustable as there is a adjusting knob on top.

has anyone ever used this thing?

bob

take a picture of this thing please? i was at princess auto yesterday and forgot some stuff, so i must go back soon.

your air gun can use any of the above solutions/degreasers, as well as water.

Rubbing Alcohol is an excellent drying agent, for use after you rinse it off. Just spray it down and let it sit in the sun for a bit; an hour should be MORE than ample.

Nothing will work as well as hot tanking it, though.

take a picture of this thing please? i was at princess auto yesterday and forgot some stuff, so i must go back soon.

here is a picture of the thing hope this helps, u can see where the air hose hook ons and also i am holding it by the hose which sucks up the liguid.

bob

air gun_thumb.JPG

here is a picture of the thing hope this helps, u can see where the air hose hook ons and also i am holding it by the hose which sucks up the liguid.

bob

ahhh this is funny, the day that I had asked you for the pic, I went to princess auto and got that same one. LOL

I like how the hose has a weighted pickup so it sinks to the bottom of the jug :D

SO you guys mention hot tanking.

From what I've read, the caustic solutions most commonly used will make a nice puddle out of the aluminum cylinder heads.

Are there any solutions/solvents that can be boiled in a vat at home that would work on aluminum?

If you use alcohol as a drying agent make sure it's 99% pure ethyl not topical isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). The topical stuff has anticeptic/anti-bacterial in it that leaves behind a film that is very hard to get off. I used some to clean a circuit board, didn't have any ethyl at the time, and still haven't gotten all the stuff off. You can get the ethyl at electronic supply stores and it doesn't take much to evaporate the water off.

Wheelman

If you use alcohol as a drying agent make sure it's 99% pure ethyl not topical isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). The topical stuff has anticeptic/anti-bacterial in it that leaves behind a film that is very hard to get off. I used some to clean a circuit board, didn't have any ethyl at the time, and still haven't gotten all the stuff off. You can get the ethyl at electronic supply stores and it doesn't take much to evaporate the water off.

Wheelman

use flux removing solvent if you cant get the film off.

it will make your board a little sticky if you don't apply it liberally enough to wet the board real good.

if you only spray a mist, it wont dry out properly and it will just leave sticky sparkly areas on the board.

I use one in a blue can, with a red label. Can't remember the name but it removed all the rosin flux that the board left behind.