HybridZ

SDS users sign in

rwdawg2

i've talked to a few guys running SDS and i think that is the way i am going to go but really and truly wiring is my weakest point in rebuilding my ZX.

i really would like to know what did most of you do to prep the engine bay and motor to receive the SDS system (i.e. what wires did you strip out of engine bay and what do you connect or do with all the dash harness stuff that connects to the engine harness)

i guess i am just in the dark about how to wire the car up because it seems so intimidating with all the wires and stuff.

anyways any help would be better than none and a jump-start of the knowledge of SDS on this site would be awesome for everyone.

thanks

Not an SDS user, but I'm seriously looking at an SDS set-up for the V8 next year. I've already purchased an intake manifold set up for both carb and EFI, and am now trying to figure out what I need to set it up. I've looked at various web pages to determine what I need in terms of fuel control inputs (crank trigger or sensor off my UniLite). As it sits now, I am seriously considering some kind of Alpha-N arrange using theTPS input, and whatever else will be needed. Completely new to the EFI stuff at this point. I am also looking at Megasquirt, but my current level of knowledge on these systems steers me more toward the SDS. A little more expensive, but it appears to be a little simpler in set-up and operation.

I'm running an sds Em4-6F setup on my '83 280zxt. As far as harnesses go, I pulled the engine harness from mine and kept the rest. If you don't already have a few after market guages like oil pressure and water temp, it's a good time to get them. They aren't neccissary to replace, but depending on exactly how you remove your engine harness, you may need to run a couple of new wires from the sender to the gauge. The hardest part of an SDS install is doing the magnets for a crank trigger, and even that isn't difficult, it just requires careful measuring. Measure 3 times, then drill to mount the magnets. Let me know if you have any other questions, and be patient, you only posted a day ago. Not everyone checks here daily.

SDS user here. I purchased 240Hoke's unit EM4-6F for my 240Z turbo. I also purchased a new EM 6D for my 810 ITB project. Both not installed yet. :rolleyesg

I have to purchase another crank pulley and re-do the magnets. The one I bought that came with Austin's old setup came with a Euro pulley already setup with the magnets and hall sensor bracket for the front cover. The pulley was cracked from the inside all the way through. http://www.putfile.com/240ztt/images/143056

We worked it out and I am getting a new pulley and getting the magnets from Ross. I am going to use the old one as a gauge to setup the magnets. If this isn't right someone let me know?

I purchased an SDS a couple years back for full easy programmability (after having played with the Z31 ecu set up). and have mixed feeling about here is my summary:

- Very reliable sturdy unit

- Very easy to understand how to program when you are new to the system

- Very easy to program on the fly

- The hand programmer unit is great

- Wiring is a piece of cake

- Putting the magnets on the crank pulley along with making a mounting bracket was not difficult, but was annoying. Plan on spending a full weekend getting it done (at a leisurely pace)

-Great customer service, if ever needed

Nonetheless, the lack of real data-logging, which I thought I would not mind too much when I first got the unit (priority was on reliability by far, and simple to use was a bonus) is now most annoying to me. At that point I could not decide between the MS and SDS, and since only a handful of hybridZ had used it and a few were having a hard time getting it to work reliably, so I opted for SDS.

At this point in time, however, MS experience is high, you can easily get it pre-made and avoid most of the reliability issues that some have had and MS II is available and cheap. Once you get comfortably with the system, being able to data log and see all the info at different RPM, engine load/boost, throttle position, temperature…becomes increasingly desirable. So at this juncture, I would opt for MS (or a unit with data-logging).

However, if you believe that you will not want to look at all the cool the data and tinker and just want to have it dyno tuned once and drive without playing with it, it would be hard to go wrong with the SDS unit (I still tinker with it all the time, however it would be much nicer and more productive if I could data-log in between).

Regarding the wiring you pull out the entire original ecu harness (everything that plugged in to the ecu unit) and then put in the sds harness. It’s all bundled together and labeled, hard to go wrong. The SDS directions are detailed, downloadable from the website and quite good (better than what most of us could write up).

I use the SDS EM4-6F and datalog using the Innovate LM1 with the LMA2 RPM converter. Have no problems with the system. Currently datalogging, AFR, MAP, RPM, TPS, IAT and EGT. Seems to work very well. The whole setup was a little expensive, but I still don't have to have a computer (laptop) in the car to make adjustments, can still tune on the fly, and can study or print out logs after runs, and like I mentioned, don't have to worry about a laptop flying around or taking up space. Just an idea.

Warren

I am getting ready to install one in my 71 240 turbo. Just waiting on Pallnet to make me the SDS crank trigger bracket for the hall sensor. It is currently running on stock 77 electronics with a Vortec FMU. All the engine wiring harness is coming off, distributor , AFM, old ecu , & old transisitor box module. The crank pulley then will be pulled out & drilled for the magnets. I have to solder in the resistor packs for the injector wiring harness & try to figure out how to wire the 240 sx throttle body & the rest of the sensors. I already have a mechanical oil pressure guage but still have to wire in the 280 tach & run a new wire to the stock water temp guage & sender. I will post again as soon as I get it started.

Installed the SDS 4 fuel only this past winter in 78 280z w/ L28et engine. Pulled the old 78 NA computer and wiring out on drivers side. Old computer slot is where the SDS computer is housed. The install was a piece of cake and very straight forward. Seriously, if I can do it anyone can. Had some issues early on but the problem was my FPR not SDS.

Anyway, did some other mods at the same time as well.....T3T4 turbo, 450cc injectors with palnet fuel rail. Here is what happened. Blew the headgasket and only pushing 12 lbs. boost. Why, timing issues. After researching this great site I learned that my rediculous mismatched set up of still having the 78 NA ignition was screwing me up. I needed some boost retard and could'nt get it. Therefore the head is pulled and valve stem seals replaced and it's all going back together this week. Boost retard will be managed by installing my newly used purchased MSD 6BTM and I should be good to go.

Bottom line......Just get the fuel and spark.

I purchased an SDS a couple years back for full easy programmability (after having played with the Z31 ecu set up). and have mixed feeling about here is my summary:

- Very reliable sturdy unit

- Very easy to understand how to program when you are new to the system

- Very easy to program on the fly

- The hand programmer unit is great

- Wiring is a piece of cake

- Putting the magnets on the crank pulley along with making a mounting bracket was not difficult, but was annoying. Plan on spending a full weekend getting it done (at a leisurely pace)

-Great customer service, if ever needed

Nonetheless, the lack of real data-logging, which I thought I would not mind too much when I first got the unit (priority was on reliability by far, and simple to use was a bonus) is now most annoying to me. .

You may want to order the chip for $85 and upgrade to version 16. That's what I did and I run SDS EM-4F on my RB26 in my 240Z with a wideband for datalogging. It's doing everything for me and its very easy to use. I was worried about the data logging too, but they have addressed it and added it to their existing systems. I think most of the programs work pretty well its just a matter of your comfort level with them. SDS has excellent customer support that has been a blessing.

Good Luck,

Mark

Good point Mark, I already have the upgrade, it's just that it is a very very limited data-logging and not nearly enough to fine tune the MAP to my taste. I do like Warren's approach, but it does bring up the cost of a new 02 unit with data-logging provision which is hard to justify, as I have a working standard type wide-band meter (to my wife, that is). All in all I'm still quite happy with the SDS unit, just listing the pros and cons as I experienced them.

• Administrators
just out of curiosity what kind of power numbers are each one of you guys making?

Jacking your own thread? :wink:

For clarification... in general, there won't be any appreciable power gains from brand to brand. There are some occasions where that statement isn't entirely true, but its somewhat rare (and specific). My point is... I believe it would be a mistake to choose one brand over another based on the 'perception' of peak HP.

o i know i'm not being bias. the question was just out of curiosity. i have already ordered sds i just dont have my car together and the question was made mainly out of pure conversation.

and on the jacking of own thread. i get very ADD and impatient and just want to talk to knowledgeable people about everything.

just out of curiosity what kind of power numbers are each one of you guys making?
310WHP@12PSI on a Mustang Dyno

Good point Mark, I already have the upgrade, it's just that it is a very very limited data-logging and not nearly enough to fine tune the MAP to my taste. I do like Warren's approach, but it does bring up the cost of a new 02 unit with data-logging provision which is hard to justify, as I have a working standard type wide-band meter (to my wife, that is). All in all I'm still quite happy with the SDS unit, just listing the pros and cons as I experienced them.

I would agree with you. There really isn't much of a substitute for Dyno tuning, but the wideband and data logging is good for fine tuning cruising and getting the map closer for using closed loop and stoich.