HybridZ

Mounting Options Big Oil Cooler & Big Intercooler? Pics

slownrusty

Guys - Spent the weekend working on my ZX...and making some progress. Justin (280ZForce) had emailed me a while back on where I was going to locate my oil cooler, as we have similary intercoolers that take up the entire nose of the car...I came up with this...what your thoughts..

Alternatively I could move the oil cooler to the right fender well infront of the tire but I do not want road debris on the cooler.

283243367.jpg

You guys with big intercoolers where did you mount your oil cooler?

Thanks - Yasin

Just a thought but isn't the heat removed from the oil going into the intercooler? I planned to mount my oil cooler behind my intercooler for this reason but mine isn't as thick as yours...........

BTW, how did you manage to find an oil cooler and a thermostat with the same centerline on the fittings?

chris

Just a thought but isn't the heat removed from the oil going into the intercooler? I planned to mount my oil cooler behind my intercooler for this reason but mine isn't as thick as yours...........

BTW, how did you manage to find an oil cooler and a thermostat with the same centerline on the fittings?

chris

I purchased all Permacool, so all the fittings and thermostat line up perfectly. Unfortunately I do have room behind my IC to mount a 3" thick oil cooler.

Yasin

Keep in mind how you can make air ducting for the front and provide a good seal between the i/c/radiator/engine compartment when building your setup. i personally like having the cooler in the fender well, I thought about doing this setup in my car. Just run some heavy screen in front of it.

Guest 280ZForce

i'm in a tougher situation than the both of you though...

I have a same side intercooler w/ top and bottom end tanks, so the surface space of the actual air flowing surface is much less. And putting a big oil cooler in front of it would only restrict that access to the ic.

IMG_3498a.jpg

Guest 280ZForce
dude, i think your car would scare the crap out of people running around with the hood off like that, looks mean as ????! and all the colors! haha

once i fire it up and just idling will prolly scare people

i'm in a tougher situation than the both of you though...

I have a same side intercooler w/ top and bottom end tanks, so the surface space of the actual air flowing surface is much less. And putting a big oil cooler in front of it would only restrict that access to the ic.

IMG_3498a.jpg

Why not mount it below the bumper on the left side, just in front of that HUGE air cleaner?

I'd shoot for a more efficient oil cooler like on Helix's setup. That tubing and perforated fin cooler is terribly space inefficient, as well as not haveing great heat transfer properties. A good folded fin Harrison Style Oil Cooler will reject much more heat with a MUCH smaller footprint, making alternative positions (like down low in the front spoiler...) much more plausible.

That thing looks like a tranny cooler for my F350 Turbodiesel!

The JDM solution is a 1st Gen Mazda RX7 Cooler, and they work wonderfully!

IMO, for the effort of routing the thing, I'd put in a Harrison or Serk cooler. I don't know the heat rejection capabilities of the OEM Turbo Cooler, but since it uses funky SAE 45 degree fittings, and not 'standard' 37 JIC stuff, I'd simply switch to something more efficient.

If you (should I reveal this?) search on "NACSAR OIL COOLER" in E-Bay you will find a BUTTLOAD of high capacity coolers that will work FAR better than most smaller crap that is commercially available, and can be had at a reasonable price, albiet being used. The NASCAR cast-off stuff is really high quality, and I have bought coolers like that for oil, tranny, and differential coolers.

Come to think of it, I just successfully imported the Euro R200 Differential cover with all the pickup tubing and screens for the differential coolers, so I got to photograph it and get the information out...