HybridZ

OEM Dry Sump Source

rudypoochris

I mean, for all it's worth, why not buy used NASCAR stuff of E-Bay? Much better quality and you can get rebuild parts reasonably enough.

What is the impetus behind Dry Sump?

"Dry Sump on a Budget" is kind of an Oxymoron.

The 911's are dry sump but the oil pump is inside the crankcase, so not the easiest thing to adapt to another car I'm guessing...

Kinda why I'm suggesting NSACAR spares... The stuff in the 911 is pretty much set up for that engine bay. The NASCAR stuff is standard Aftermarket stuff that is decently sized... the tank is going to be in the passenger's footwell anyway, so why use the odd shaped Porsche stuff (which, BTW is not easily cleaned...the aftermarket stuff is! A prime concern when reusing oil system goodies!!!):burnout:

I figured...

I just wanted to punctuate about the cheapest way you could make up a drysump.

Guys with Chevys can do it CHEAP. Most of this stuff crosses no problem (tanks, pumps, coolers, etc).

The A.R.E. and Aviad pans for the L-Engine just don't show up on E-Bay for some reason... And those will cost you dearly new!

Does anyone know of a source of dry sump pumps and equipment that can be harvested from cars in the junkyard?

we got a toyota previa here that we use to haul all our metal and engines/work supplies.

going on 410,000 km this week. everything on the engine is original, except for the alternator and battery.

we sold another 400,000 km previa with rod knock for 1200 and got this one for 700 and it's quiet and runs like a charm. The engine on the previa is on a slant, and my roommate (mechanic) tells me it's got a dry sump system, but I haven't looked underneath.

Junkyards are usually littered with them. best van I've ever had the joy of using. Shares a lot of land cruiser specific parts (ball joints, random links here and there), wouldn't be surprised if the dry sump system is overbuilt too.

what surprised me about the previa is that the engine is directly underneath the passenger and driver's seat, and it gets all the salt and dirt and road grime from all those 400,000 km, and it hasn't skipped a beat. It doesn't even burn oil. I'm willing to bet the bearings on the engine are still usable. LOL.

Toyota stopped making the previa because it was a proprietary platform and they had to downsize their model line-up when they axed it. So being that it had a wealth of previa-specific parts, and it was too costly, I wouldn't be surprised if the sump system is fairly heavy duty. Probably not racing standard, but who knows.

The Previa's 2TZFE and 2TZFZE engines are positioned on an 85 degree angle. so that's virtually sideways. so much for a "flat four" :P

cheggit'out