HybridZ

Removing rust

Blown77Z

Here are some before/after pics of the work I've done to the passenger floor board to my car I got 2 days ago from NV :D

Before:

280z_Pics_009.jpg

After:

280z_Pics_041.jpg

I only removed the sound deadening material which covered the rust. Once the rust pattern stopped, I didn't remove anymore. Should I remove ALL the sound deadening material just to be safe? Should I do some more sanding before I primer/paint it? Any other opinions/concerns are greatly welcome.

You call THAT removing rust??? :D

Congrats for having a Z that is that rust free. As to removing the sound deadener, you see how it only rusted around the edges of where that crap was? Well, if you leave it in, where do you think it's going to rust next time? I'd take it out and use Zero Rust or POR15 to lock out the rust.

Thanks for the advise jmort :)

The "rust" color you see is stained on the sound deadening material and not the metal itself ;) but, I will be removing the rest of the sound deadening material and coating the entire floor with the good stuff. Keep the opinions coming in guys !

. Should I remove ALL the sound deadening material just to be safe? Should I do some more sanding before I primer/paint it? Any other opinions/concerns are greatly welcome.

Yes get rid of all that sound deadener. If there was rust under what you removed, odds are there's more. If there are no rust through places sand off as much as you can and then treat it with POR-15. IMHO I wouldn't rely on regular primer and paint. Then you can install sound deadener over the POR-15. The stuff is expensive but it is awesome stuff to stop further rusting. http://www.por15.com/ You can get it on EBay too, but it will get to you faster if you order straight from POR15.com. You can brush this stuff on or spray it, but trust me don't get any on you!

By the way i don't know how you're removing the sound deadener but like others have tried on the forum, get some dry ice crush it up and put it on the sound deadener, wait a few minutes and start chipping it away. Doesn't take long, I did a whole 510 in like 15 minutes.

Thanks all for the advice. I've been working on the passenger floor board mainly right now. I pulled the carpet out of the drivers side and you should see the floor, 99% rust free !!! I was shocked :eek2: The drivers side floor:

280z_Pics_083.jpg

I did find some bad rust under/around the battery tray last night and started on that. Seems like the passenger side rust on the floor originated from the leakthough from the battery tray area, hince there being no rust on the drivers side...

280z_Pics_086.jpg

I removed the sound deadening material with a hammer and large flathead screwdriver. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be doing it that way. The material chipped easily when I hit it probably due to the condition of that side.

Thanks guys ! And here I was stressing over the rust issues on the floor and battery tray. Some POR-15 will cure that.

I will need my passenger frame rail fixed though:

280z_Pics_014.jpg

Any suggestions on what to do with the frame rail? Cut and patch the hole along w/ http://www.baddogparts.com/bdp.htm or leave the small hole there with the baddog rail in place?

Hey, Think about paint application INSIDE the rails if you replace them.

I had a local Z-car guy ask for a quote to install Baddog rails. I figured in 10 hours of work to install the Baddog rails. I would remove the old rails and address any rust issues inside. I also included some time for painting inside and out(before and after welding). I also included some time to remove the tar padding on the inside of the floorboards where welding would be done on the underside.

Anyway the guy got them welded on at a muffler shop for $50. I can only imagine what was done. LOL!!!