HybridZ

This Month's Motor Trend (GT-R)!

Kevin Shasteen

Despite all the info posted by Gareth, I'm still not sold on the fact that none of their award winning VQ technology has been passed on and upwards to a newer and better V type engine. (even though it's said that championship winning technology is passed down). Another question I have is in regards to the VQ37HR not being a bit influential is the fact that Ghosn is all about cutting costs and making things more efficient. So to develop a completely new proprietary engine is somewhat of a blur for me. But as I said... This is only a speculation on my part. I just find that designing a new VQ block with some modifications, only to be pushed aside less than a year later by the VR seems a little unethical with nissans latest "Shift_" in production values and model line-up management.

Whether or not it's a VQ based design, my point was that it's a natural progression, and going from I6 to V6 doesn't mean much, other than the fact that HEY! Nissan made a V6 to beat their previous I6, TADA!

I mean, why the fuss over the whole cylinder configuration.

As for the information you posted, Gareth, It's been noted that the ECU is apparently tamperproof. So modification won't be so easily. Chances are it's embedded in an encrypted rom, probably runs a proprietary operating system on some internal flash memory, and will definately not be as simple as opening and switching chips.

Programmability is most likely achieved through use of special software and hardware high-bit encrypted dongles that one would have to buy. I really like the fact that they're making it dealer programmable as a diagnostic though, because that would allow them to keep the same ECU worldwide, and allow for different fuel maps for different climates, with base values mapped for where the car is normally driven and what gas ratings are available, rather than having to adjust through enrichment all the time. That would allow for a wider range of stable driving in adverse conditions all around the world with the same electronics system. And depending on how the internal operating system is run, it could be as simple as having a dealership carry a dongle that is plugged in and does the flashing without any user intervention. This would limit lackies and newbies at the dealerships from messing things up.

Again, this is purely speculation, and it's based on what I've read about the R-Factories that Nissan has labeled as licensed R34 tech. (check GTR Magazine from japan to know what I'm talking about).

Sorry if any of my information is incorrect. I'm just making an ass out of myself, but it some how makes sense to me. LOL

BOTTOM LINE IS.

THIS CAR MAKES MY DANG NUTTS 'SPLODE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crispy Chicken
I don't understand the hate of the V engine. What's not to like? Weight is lower down and further back. Crank is not as long so not as heavy, same with the block. Better aero potential. Seems like a win/win to me. I like I6's too, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a V6 in my opinion.

People hate them because their not in import tuner magazine to often and cool movies like the fast and furious. Not because they are informed intelligent and open minded. You can go to any high school in the world and ask kids what the coolest car/engine is and they will tell you about a 1300hp rb26 skyline GT-R they saw in a magazine.. Anything else isn't cool.. If you change it or challenge it they get upset.. Like what is happening here.

A lot of folks, including some very accomplished racers and mechanics, seem obsessed with the notion that a L6 is "naturally balanced" - that it has a sort of mechanical purity that no other configuration has attained.

And the forced-induction crowd often prefers inline engines for what is probably a simpler exhaust system, and hence an easier turbo installation.

Personally I applaud the trend away from L6 to V6 (for example, in Mercedes). Maybe someday the BMW 3-series will be V6, too.

People hate them because their not in import tuner magazine to often and cool movies like the fast and furious. Not because they are informed intelligent and open minded. You can go to any high school in the world and ask kids what the coolest car/engine is and they will tell you about a 1300hp rb26 skyline GT-R they saw in a magazine.. Anything else isn't cool.. If you change it or challenge it they get upset.. Like what is happening here.

Im in high school and if you ask me what the coolest car is Id say it was the s30:)

I saw this car at the autoshow on Saturday. The PR guy that was representing the car said the manufacture suggested sale price was 70k. I bet most dealerships are going to sell them for no less than 75k, maybe even more than 80k-85 if they are made in lower quantity. It looked nicer than it did in videos and photos, but it is expensive.

Anwhat's funny is that they were shooting for "upper $50s" when this whole thing started several years back... I'm telling you guys, this is a big issue. If the car stickers at $70K, that's getting into a whole new league of buyer. And those who can afford it can also afford a lot of other "more exotic" platforms. My concern is will these buyers simply shy away from it at that pricepoint because its a "nissan"?

Mike

I was kind of bummed that the "article" was only a 2 page spread of mainly photos and fairly little real info. Next month's issue is supposed to have a test drive of the US spec GTR. THAT'S the issue to get :)

Sadly you typically can't trust numbers until the cars are actually sold and some enthusiasts get them on their own dynos and tracks. Let's hope they build as strong a reputation as the new Z06.

- Greg -

Okay at first I really didn't like the car looks wise at all. Hadn't read too much on it or anything either. The Motortrend featuring it kinda got me interested, but then going to the LA Auto show, seeing it IN person made me fall in love with it. It may not be the best car or the fastest, but I like it, I like what it offers etc. Will I buy one now? No, however it is my planned first car to buy once out of school. By then I figure there will be good aftermarket to make it fast and will have dropped in price by then (used car). I have several more pictures, if anyone else would like to see but this one is my favorite.

IMG_2575.jpg

Tyson