HybridZ

This Month's Motor Trend (GT-R)!

Kevin Shasteen

Anyone see this month's Motor Trend? They did a nice write up on the new Nissan GT-R. Unfortunately it is the Japanese version and not an American version.

It looks kind've like a cross between a Celica, Cougar, and 350Z. Its AWD, TT, Intercooled; only 70K to 85K depending on options with a 197mph top speed!

Best yet, it is a all aluminum V6..., no more I6.

The article did say that an American version is in the works..., but who knows how long that will take.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a couple LHD new GT-R's >>

2044973521f86a6c946adu7.th.jpg

Anyone see this month's Motor Trend? They did a nice write up on the new Nissan GT-R. Unfortunately it is the Japanese version and not an American version.

It looks kind've like a cross between a Celica, Cougar, and 350Z. Its AWD, TT, Intercooled; only 70K to 85K depending on options with a 197mph top speed!

Best yet, it is a all aluminum V6..., no more I6.

The article did say that an American version is in the works..., but who knows how long that will take.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Yea, Um' I'm not understanding some of these comments. The restrictions placed on the L6 motor that only LOTS of money can cure are why these guys are commenting about the V6 platform. I'd wage a large amount of money that the motor they put in the GT-R will have extremely strong internals... Lets next think about the heads and how much better (and more current) the design flow characteristics should be... Gang, It's called evolution. The L6 was a nice platform, for a 40 year old design. :roll:

Mike

The L6 was a nice platform, for a 40 year old design. :roll:

Mike

I guess technically it is a 40 year old design as the original GT-R also was an inline 6 with twin cams, 24 valves, and a cross flow head. But let's be honest, the original S20 was so vastly ahead of it's time that the design did not become common until the '80's. And the RB26 was also vastly ahead of it's time. People were somewhat reluctant to accept the VG30 in the '84 300ZX as well. I'm also a bit surprised to hear this type of criticism from someone that ran a C5 Corvette for so long. If you want to talk about an archaic design look no further than the lump under that hood. But people are still in love with that pushrod V8. I think the people in this thread are simply referring to the dramatic change from the inline to the V.

Brian

I'm curious, what would be a better engine. if nissan built two 3.5L engines, one a V6 and one a I6, both had the same bore and stroke, compression, crossflow same everything, but shape. would one engine be better then the other ? I mean yeah I'm sure this engine is way stronger/faster/lighter then the I6 it replaced but it's also newer.

I6, V6, why does it really matter? it makes nearly 500HP in it's stock form.

Look at the majority of most Nissan's powerplants today and youl find the stout VQ engine nessled under the hood. Coincidence? I think not. The VQ has proven to be a good platform, and I support Nissan for slapping it in the new GT-R.

So the big question is.....Who on Hybrid is buying one??!

I was thinking of VQ versus RB, not L28. The V6 makes for a more complicated engine bay with two of everything and I bet those turbos are gonna be fun to get to.

Nissan could have easily updated the RB motor to a stout aluminum block and fancy (not just beefy) bottom end including similar tactics to bottom end efficiency like Mitsubishi's EVO IX oil squirters/piston design.

I was thinking of VQ versus RB, not L28. The V6 makes for a more complicated engine bay with two of everything and I bet those turbos are gonna be fun to get to.

Nissan could have easily updated the RB motor to a stout aluminum block and fancy (not just beefy) bottom end including similar tactics to bottom end efficiency like Mitsubishi's EVO IX oil squirters/piston design.

Have you ever seen inside an R34 engine bay from the factory. It was outrageously cluttered and everything was extremely hard to get to. Trust me I am not saying that the GT-R is going to be fun to work on (especially with all the new warranty restrictions) but it still incredible.

The RB's have had oil squirters for a while as well as many nissan motors (sr and i think some ka)

If you cant see that this car is amazing (look at its track times) and look past the body shape then you are way to stubborn.

I cant wait till Top Gear gets one and lest the stig run it. Thank God for DVR

Going out on a limb here, but they probably went with the VQ/VR because of cost and packaging. Based heavily on the VQ, it is probably a whole lot cheaper to build than a new RB26 and can be put farther back in the car - think only the front two cylinders are infront of the crossmember.

Apples and oranges.

VR != VQ (heres hoping they made it closed deck).

Anything >3L, twin turbo, and not made out of wood is a potential power house. I also hope they didn't let the Renault gingerbeers anywhere near the damn thing.

Mikelly, I don't see any previous mention of the L prior to your post?

Dave

I don't understand the hate of the V engine. What's not to like? Weight is lower down and further back. Crank is not as long so not as heavy, same with the block. Better aero potential. Seems like a win/win to me. I like I6's too, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a V6 in my opinion.

So because I owned a Vette and drove it for 2.5 years, I can't have an opinion on technology? come on Brian, get real. I hated the fact that it was a pushrod motor, but it WORKED.

Regardless of what our collective opinions are on why Nissan chose to use the motor they're installing, it'll boil down to the bottom line, $$$.

Mike

I guess technically it is a 40 year old design as the original GT-R also was an inline 6 with twin cams, 24 valves, and a cross flow head. But let's be honest, the original S20 was so vastly ahead of it's time that the design did not become common until the '80's. And the RB26 was also vastly ahead of it's time. People were somewhat reluctant to accept the VG30 in the '84 300ZX as well. I'm also a bit surprised to hear this type of criticism from someone that ran a C5 Corvette for so long. If you want to talk about an archaic design look no further than the lump under that hood. But people are still in love with that pushrod V8. I think the people in this thread are simply referring to the dramatic change from the inline to the V.

Brian