HybridZ

What to do with all this space?!?! HELP

240hoke

So over the long thanksgiving weekend after filling my stomach i got a good bit of time working on the Z, the VQ is fully mounted and the car is back on the ground... now the fun begins.

So anyway I relised i have this HUGE space in front of my motor and I just couldnt figure out what to do with it...

So I though hurm why not just put the GF up there...

IMG_3247.sized.jpg

Hood clearence.. check:

IMG_3245.sized.jpg

But then I got jealous and though maybe I could ride up there...

IMG_3251.sized.jpg

But while I was comfy it was just a little to tight and I thought the hood might not close very well...

So I decided there will just have to be two front mount turbos :)

You could do a v mount if your willing to make it functional and by that youl have to hack your hood and make some ducting for air to flow properly.

You could move your rad further back as well for better weight balance, or as you mentioned two turbos sounds nice!

I'm looking forward to see the car running as i'm also considering the VQ for a future powerplant. I still can't beleive how big the VQ looks in the Z33 and how small it looks inside an s30 bay.

By the way are you planning on running the stock Z33 wiring and computer?

There would be ALOT of work in a proper V mount setup which I dont think would be worth the effort. You would have to get a special made radiator with slanted fins, custom hoodand front end And even when all that is said and done Im betting it doesn't do much for aerodynamics without designing everything in a wind tunnel... I dont think there is enough room on a s30 with the engine layout to have the proper slope for the radiator exit and not cause alot of turbulence but thats a topic for the aero board... and I already have a griffin radiator installed :).

As for electronics Im gong to be running Haltec more then likely, they make a ECU specifically for this motor already setup to run the VVT.

Heh if I could just find somebody to donate one it would be there in a hurry!

Im actually just gonna be able to squeak be getting this thing running N/A might have to wait a bit at that. Ive tossed around the idea of a single holset.. but ill prolly just wait and save up so I can do everything the way I want it when I go FI.

• 1 month later...
There would be ALOT of work in a proper V mount setup which I dont think would be worth the effort. You would have to get a special made radiator with slanted fins, custom hoodand front end And even when all that is said and done Im betting it doesn't do much for aerodynamics without designing everything in a wind tunnel... I dont think there is enough room on a s30 with the engine layout to have the proper slope for the radiator exit and not cause alot of turbulence but thats a topic for the aero board... and I already have a griffin radiator installed :).

As for electronics Im gong to be running Haltec more then likely, they make a ECU specifically for this motor already setup to run the VVT.

I know this post is way old but what did you mean by slanted fins for the radiator? :hs: Do you mean so that when you have the radiator angled x degrees, you have the fins slanted at x degrees to match so theyre flat like they would be if it was standing upright? Ive always been told the whole point in the setup, was to tilt the radiator/intercooler so there was more surface area of the fins facing forward. Unless i just mis-understood what you meant, in which case ignore me :)

Austing, if you're bored with turbos, then you could try some gardening under the hood. Imagine putting one of these in place of the anti-treehugger turbos (remember the VQ35 is a ULEV engine):

Flower_Pot.jpg

Now THAT would turn some heads on cars shows. Y'know, "green" cars are becoming trendy, and it seems that soon every Californian will drive a Prius...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lmao: