HybridZ

How would you spend $1000?

Alright.. I recognize that these type of questions frustrate some people, so if you're one of those, don't worry about it...

For the rest of you, I have approximately $1000 that I can spend on the Z to boost performance. This is seperate from the restoration, so I can finally pick up a few goodies.

Anyone want to make suggestions?

Keep in mind one thing - dsommers is at this time building a motor that will kick my tail, and so I've got to be ready... :)

As the car stands, I have the following as a baseline: LT1 with ported intake, 30# injectors, 52mm TB, Headers and 3" mandrel exhaust.

Brakes have been mildly upgraded to 4 piston fronts and 240sx rears; Nismo R180 LSD and 17" wheels.

I've installed coil overs, adjustable T/C's and camber plates.

I'm watching a nice Nitrous setup as well as a LT4 hotcam kit.

Anyone want to throw another couple of ideas in the ring?

Bryan

Keep the money and spend it wisely on something that you'll decide about later. I know they may be burning a hole in your pocket, but time will tell whether you will need any additional funds - that's when the 1000$ you have could come in useful. :)

Without a doubt...ported and polished heads, and a matching cam if you can swing a little more cash.

This isn't where I got mine from, but it can give you an idea of costs and potential results

http://www.eportworks.com/lt1.html

This is where my heads were ported and polished:

http://airflowperformance.net/index.html

I have the LT4 hotcam kit in my car. It's an alright cam but I am already looking for something "bigger". Bang for the buck its a nice kit but buy better springs as the ones in the kit are marginal for the HC as it is. If you want a little more power get the HC kit. If you want 400WHP get a nice set of heads and a cam that matches them with some roller rockers. You wont get much for $1000 though...

Guy

+1 on the turbo... just save up another grand or so. Just think how much your going to spend on bottle fills over the next couple years (average bottle fill $27.00) I ran a few a week through mine for a long time but thats just me. Now I'm working on a turbo kit!!!

HEADS (get the best you can afford, spend at least 1/3 of the build cost on heads & components on the heads)

DISPLACEMENT

(within logical mechanical and budget,limits, bigger is amost always better)

CAM

(must match the rpm range, gearing,displacement,compression, and take full advantage of head flow potential)

COMPRESSION RATIO

get it built on the higher edge of the range your octane rating will allow, in both the static and dynamic compression ratio

POWER TO WEIGHT

LIGHTER IN weight is USUALLY BETTER

FLOW RATES

(try to get everything in the engine too match, the engines designed rpm,displacement and power range)

ROTATING ASSEMBLY

(spend a 1/3 here, and take the time to think it thru and get the clearances and lube system correctly built)

Oh gotta throw my name in the mix huh? Well no worries the engine I'm building will be sitting on a stand for quite some time before it goes in the car so your $1K can grow in to let's say $2K before my car gets on the road and your's will still be soooo much nicer.

$1K for performance hmmmm. ECU chipped/custom reflash plus a NICE nitrous system as stated 100 to 125 shot will get things going. I'd save it until the car is on the road, tuned and running like it should then dump the grand in to it.

Just my .02 worth (buy a 90 day CD ;)

David

Oh gotta throw my name in the mix huh? Well no worries the engine I'm building will be sitting on a stand for quite some time before it goes in the car so your $1K can grow in to let's say $2K before my car gets on the road and your's will still be soooo much nicer.

$1K for performance hmmmm. ECU chipped/custom reflash plus a NICE nitrous system as stated 100 to 125 shot will get things going. I'd save it until the car is on the road, tuned and running like it should then dump the grand in to it.

Just my .02 worth (buy a 90 day CD ;)

David

Haha yea, I agree on the 90 day CD. From my experience with our GTO a good tune and possibly nitrous. A guy in phoenix I know has a cammed, nitrous, + his own tune (he tunes for AZ Power and Sound) and its pretty crazy. He also has a ~900 rwhp street tune Camaro that he built.