HybridZ

Well....was nice, this may be good bye for a while...

Z U L8R

got the 280z on the dyno with the new and improved z32 tranny, beefy driveshaft with serviceable ford u-joints, the 3.9 r200 of fury. 18psi on teh dyno, first pass 381, 2nd pass 392, 3rd pass 399, fourth pass @ 7200rpm BOOM!!! FLAME from the turbo side......oil on the ground..............

conclusion...if you use stock rods......replace stock rod bolts with arp rod bolts.....

rod bolt snapped and slung cylinder 4 rod through the side of the block HAHAHAHHA.

in all honesty...it was the coolest ♥♥♥♥ i've ever seen happen to a motor in person....just sucked when i realized...that was MY motor hahah.

i have a spare block and head in the garage but i'm seriously tired of it..... i've worked something out with a body shop so my widebody 71 240z can finally get it's body work finished and in some paint. so i'm thinking of parting out the 78 280z...

a friend offered me $1600 for the gt30/76r, my xs power manifold, tial 38mm wastegate, greddy type s bov, and ebay front mount ic....i don't know if that's enough $$ to persuade me cause i could pick up a long block, pop it in and get 9-10 grand for the car pretty easily around here. so i dunno...

in any case....i think i'm gonna go 2jz in the 240z...i just want 600rwhp reliably and that shouldn't be a problem if i go that route. but it's going to be a while before that comes to fruition. so in the meantime i will be beefing up the new toy

1972 Datsun 510 4 door IRS

I already dropped in a ka24de in it, 160hp should make the 510 hit mid 13's lol, the chassis is striaght as hell and before i tweak it i'm gonna get a roll cage in it and get an r200 in that puppy. then i shall build the bottom end of the KA, slap a turbo on it and crank it up. my goal for the 510 is an SCCA car that if provoked can run mid 11's to high 10's with good tires without breaking ♥♥♥♥ lol.

i'm really excited about it cause my Z didn't handle that well and i have a back seat for the ladies hahahhaha. seriously though it should be a really fun car.

all i have left till it's driveable is an inline fuel pump, the throttle cable, the wiring (i love wiring seriously, it's fun2me), and the radiator hoses. once i get the Z back at the house i'll rob all those goodies from it and go pwn some hondas with the n/a power hahaha. anywho, thanks to all of you for your help and compliments, here's some pics of the 510

i'm thinking ZOMG510 for the license plate or OMG-510 LOL shrug maybe HLRYSUX (hillary sux) lol , i'm open for suggestions as well.

anyways, take care everyone, best of luck, hopefully i won't be a stranger too long

Dave =]

http://www.myspace.com/Z_U_L8R

DSCN0754_thumb.JPG

DSCN0752_thumb.JPG

DSCN0750_thumb.JPG

DSCN0747_thumb.JPG

510enginebayka24de_thumb.JPG

That sucks man. Never heard anything about the rod bolts failing on these motors. Hate to hear it, especially since I'm trying to make mine more streetable since I sold my trailer and am trying to sell my tow vehicle!

Looks like a pretty straight 510! I have been looking around for a clean body for a while but they all seem to be over on the west coast.

JT

Excerpt from tyndago:

RB26DETT connecting rods.
  • The biggest issue with the stock RB26 rod are the rod bolts. As the rpms increase, the load on the rod bolts increase. The stock rod bolts, can and will break.

:( don't leave! we're all addicts here. we can help!

man that sucks, I think I'm heading down the same road of blowing something up? Good luck to you.

I love this vid of your car......

That is some great action! What really got me was how well the C5 Z06 with intake / headers / heads/ etc was able to hang with those other cars - the 601rwhp Cobra :wink: . . .

Of course, the Z was awesome!

^^ lol

got the 510 driving, i just got back from my shop putting exhaust on it...lol it was fun in the neighborhood with just a down pipe :D

i'm gonna put a power brake booster on it from a late 70's b210 i think it is, and rob the 4 piston toyota brakes and suspension off the 280z. the 510's got hella negative camber. the ka's front crank seal is leaking like a siv so i'll be addressing that after work but all in all she's a little peppy thing, i dunno bout a 13.5 but it's pretty fun to drive....nothing like 400rwhp LOL but it'll do for now. i sold the turbo, bov, wastegate and intercooler for 2 grand to my friend. i'll be taking it off the rb on saturday :(

i kinda wanted to use that turbo for the ka......driving a "peppy" car and not having boost is a pecker tease but she'll be there soon enough. i think i'll have to transfer the Z U L8R tag to the 510 so it doesn't get taken by someone else.

anywho, you guys are great and thank you for the replies. i'll pop in here and there. take it ez and God Bless,

Dave =]