HybridZ

Nice Z On Japan Yahoo

Corzette

It seems that everytime I see a car from overseas they are always running triples.

Yet so many people here tend to keep the SUs on or some other variant of fuel intake.

I wonder if it is because their tuners are not afraid to spend time tuning them while most US shops want to run and hide if they see them.

Unless they are a specialty tuning shop then they want $150.00 just to start your car and listen.

It seems that everytime I see a car from overseas they are always running triples.

Yet so many people here tend to keep the SUs on or some other variant of fuel intake.

I wonder if it is because their tuners are not afraid to spend time tuning them while most US shops want to run and hide if they see them.

Unless they are a specialty tuning shop then they want $150.00 just to start your car and listen.

Good observation most S30 cars in Japan are converted over to triples, personally I find this a little boring in 2008..where EFI is the king for all tuners. I think the tuners love the sound at WOT with open exhaust, big cam and high compression. Carbs are "too" 1960s-1970s for me!

Yasin

The Z tuners in Japan seem to be a bit more nostalgic/old skool with their choice of car modifications. It's like how Rocky Auto still uses 50mm sidedraft on their RB25 motor swaps...I'm pretty certain that modern ITB's would get better performance but it's just not the same.

Good observation most S30 cars in Japan are converted over to triples, personally I find this a little boring in 2008..where EFI is the king for all tuners. I think the tuners love the sound at WOT with open exhaust, big cam and high compression. Carbs are "too" 1960s-1970s for me!

Yasin

Yasin,

I agree partially EFI is leaps away from N/A triple carbs However, nothing compares to the sound and performance of a full tuned Z!! For me when I was in Okinawa a triple carb Z was what got me into Z's to begin with.

Here is the Z that started it all. I had to dig these pictures out.

After coming back from the ride of my life:

8117122179.jpg

8117122165.jpg

8117122225.jpg

well, i doubt it would have much trouble at all considering the S30 was sold in the US as well. you could probably register it just like you would a left hander Z.

I know if i had a 240z, i'd throw on a set of triple side draft dellorto carbs on it. I dont see many of them, and i've had some experience with them since my dad's 2 vw's had dual dellorto's.

on a VW dellorto's are more streetable than Webber's for some reason

its pretty strait forward once the car gets to customs, but its a pain to get the guy selling the car to take it over to have it shipped, but if you buy from a dealer in japan they will usually have no problem having it shipped if you compensate for their time.

or you could have a buddy visiting japan pick you one up.

The bulk of the Fairladys' I've seen in ths states were brought back by US service members. I know the military will ship a car built before '75 or '76 over and back if you're in the military and getting stationed over there. Anything newer and you begin to run into registration and emissions problems depending on where and how you're going to bring it in and register it. Not impossible, but potentially expensive and filled with a$$ pain. interesting thread on a guy who brought back an RX-7 from Okinawa. http://www.zeroyon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8819

I think you'd be better off building your own iteration complete with triples. These things in Japan go for more than they do here because there are fewer of them around and the ones that have survived are in decent condition. That or keep up on EBay, there's usually a Fairlady or two every year, it's rare but, if it's what you want, they can be had.

One big reason is that 40mm Solex/Mikuinis were STOCK OEM PARTS on so many cars there they are CHEAP. A used set of 40mm's was rarely more than $10,000 yen. Why try to charge more when any mook could go to the wreecking yard and yoink the 40's off any number of Toyota 2TG or 18RG engines for Carbs? Sure, used 44PHHs were slightly more, maybe 45K yen as opposed to the ubiquitous 40's. But to not run 40's when they were that cheap (and EVERYONE new how to tune them) why not?

As for ITB's....I have a nice set of Vintage HKS units from the early-mid 80's. The Japanese have had Analog Fuel Injection Triple ITB's for over 20 years...almost 30 now. Triples are there because they're cheap.

ITB's are out there, but due to costs they are less visible. Many people think the "Wangan Midnight" S30 has blowthrough carbs, but only at the beginning, by the end of the filming SSS had swapped over to Triple ITB's, and most people didn't know the difference because visually they are very similar.