HybridZ

240 Vs. 260

Yes I believe they'd be smog exempt, anything 1975 or under IIRC.

The later months of "1974.5 260z" as they're sometimes referred to are based off the 280z's somewhat beefier frame. So technically yes, maybe a little stronger, dunno about "better" per se. Alot of guys like the originality of the first model Z car, and like to do 240z v8 swaps for the prestige. Something about Z cars deviating from the original race inspired ideals as they were redesigned through the years. I'm no expert, that's just the feel I get from what i've read, hope it helps.

There have been countless discussion on this very topic. Lighter weight, harder to find, more costly to buy, better looking 240 vs. stronger, more common and generally cheaper 280. Plus FI gas tank and usually R200 vs. R180 in favor of the 280.. (a lot of opinion in this paragraph, opinions will vary)

But I agree with Cozy, look for a solid car. Rust can take all the joy out of the project.

• Administrators
why not a 1975 280z? it should still be smog exempt, no?

I guess it would be state dependant. This is quoted from the FAQ regarding Cali smog law. A 75 280Z would have to go through smog testing, 1974 260-Z and early cars do not.

Again, this could be state dependant.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100533

I had a long conversation with a Technical Advisor at the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) regarding some of the finer points of engine swaps. This is what I came up with:

Vehicle family Rule:

Engine must come from a vehicle from the same family, ie. light duty to light duty, medium and heavy duty to same. What surprised me was the family range. Everything from a mini to a 1 ton truck is considered light duty, and engines can be interchanged. Everything greater than 1 ton pickup is considered med/heavy duty and thus cannot be used as a donor into a car.

Catalytic Converters:

CATs are not required to be installed on vehicles that did not come with them installed from the factory.

Kicker: OBDII donor vehicles have post CAT O2 sensors. These cannot be disabled in any way. Without the CATs, the PCM will throw a code, thus creating an issue with the conversion. So, although the CATs themselves are not required, if the Donor vehicle is OBDII, then by proxy, they are required.

Misc. Emissions controls:

EVERY piece of emissions package is required from the donor vehicle. That would include fuel tank (to include fuel pressure sensor), evaporative canister and all lines from and to the tank.

Referee inspection:

Pre-75 vehicles (vehicles not requiring smog tests) do not have to be referee certified. However, CHP (or any law enforcement officer, I suppose) can write you an emissions citation, which would need a visit to the referee to sign off to cancel the citation (fixit ticket). Apparently, the State is actively looking at modified vehicles for emissions violations (roadside checkpoints as mentioned previously)

Well...that should answer about everything.......

It's 74 and earlier in CAL. I asked at a woman at the dmv about 6 weeks ago when I registered my 73 240z. It sounds a little confusing because the law is something like " anything pre 75 is smog exempt". anyway, looks like 280z's don't make the cut off date.

It's 74 and earlier in CAL. I asked at a woman at the dmv about 6 weeks ago when I registered my 73 240z. It sounds a little confusing because the law is something like " anything pre 75 is smog exempt". anyway, looks like 280z's don't make the cut off date.

The misinformation on Smog Exempt car model years in CA is unbelievable.:flamedevi Read this section taken from the CA. DMV web site...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

• Hybrid
  • 1975 year model or older
  • Diesel powered
  • Electric
  • Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
  • Motorcycle
  • Trailer

THE 1975 280Z IS SMOG EXEMPT IN CA......

LARRY

Yes it's 75' and older that's smog exempt in CA.

In my opinion it's better to start with the 240Z. Better to start lighter and add weight where you WANT it, don't you think? If you were willing to sacrifice weight for the sake of OEM rigidity the 280ZX would be a better option than a 280Z, but that's a whole nother ball of wax (has to be smogged, diff suspension problems etc).

But as stated before by cozy and others, rust and overal shape are bigger factors than the badge or year of production.