HybridZ

The LT1 conversion is streetable

It took three days and a lot of cash but I have a brand new exhaust system! After a lot of discussion with the exhaust tech what I finally ended up with was 2 14" pipes through short 4" mufflers on each side of the transmission and resonators at the rear on each side of my Camaro fuel tank ending with pretty cool flared exhaust tips. The system does a great job of quieting it down while still having a nice growl, I am very happy. The turbo muffler system I had before sounded badass but on the highway it was deafening. This is the only picture I have now. I will try to get some under car shots soon. One thing I am very happy with was my sound deadener. When I drove the car to the exhaust guy with open headers I was surprised to find how quiet the car was with the windows up. Two layers of the EBay acquired sound deadener and the new carpet really works.

exhaust-lt1.jpg

I only have a few projects left to complete. After I get a heat shield made for the passenger rear side to protect my fuel filter and lines from the new exhaust I will get the front end aligned. I still have to finish plumbing and wiring the AC, back-up lights need mounted and the grille and front bumper need mounted. Oh yeah there's that new console to build, another fiberglass project and probably another month or so, LOL.

LOL, I have a ways to go yet to catch you. Remember my car was already painted when I got it. And you've been a great source of information when I got lost.

Looks good deja!

It makes me feel kinda bad when people start after me and are farther along than I am.

:(

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to working on my car soon.

Deja,

High fives! You da man!

Would you mind sharing your experience with the sound deadener? (Make, source, etc.) I'm well shy of that stage on my build and would enjoy hearing a success story.

Cheers -- Gary

Deja,

High fives! You da man!

Would you mind sharing your experience with the sound deadener? (Make, source, etc.) I'm well shy of that stage on my build and would enjoy hearing a success story.

Cheers -- Gary

I installed two layers of sound deadener I picked up from http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlobucrod on the firewall and all the floor areas including the hatch area and inside the storage bins. It is aluminum clad foam stuff much like dynamat. You use 3M spray adhesive to glue it down. It is pretty cheap so I bought 2 rolls and doubled it everywhere. Installation was easy, stuff cuts with scissors and a box knife. I followed that with new molded carpet which has a built in padding. You can see some of the sound deadener in this picture.

dash-complete4.JPG

Way to Go Deja!

How about some more pix?

Is that a red engine start button from a Honda S2000?

Patience grasshopper, LOL. I'll try for more picture tomorrow in the mean time this is on my website. A few pictures from the conversion.

http://www.dejavideo.net/280z8/transplant-picts.html

The push button start is from a Viper.

Nice work Deja! You don't see those exhaust tips very often.

...The turbo muffler system I had before sounded badass but on the highway it was deafening...

I know the feeling. I have a pair of Flowmasters just behind the rear valance. After a few hours on the freeway I felt like I'd stayed too long at the Spinal Tap concert!

:trippen:

I added a pair of resonators like you did and it's much quieter. But I miss that hard edged rasp it used to have. I could sit in a parking lot, blip the throttle and draw a crowd.:twisted:

Nice work Deja! You don't see those exhaust tips very often.

I know the feeling. I have a pair of Flowmasters just behind the rear valance. After a few hours on the freeway I felt like I'd stayed too long at the Spinal Tap concert!

:trippen:

I added a pair of resonators like you did and it's much quieter. But I miss that hard edged rasp it used to have. I could sit in a parking lot, blip the throttle and draw a crowd.:twisted:

Thanks, I know I'm going to miss those "what the hell is that" look I got at stop lights. But one trip down I-85 was enough to have something quieter.

Yes, Sir...the beast has awakened....I've tried to make an in-car video 3 times now, but can't seem to keep the camera running...Zero traction in low gear and I haven't been able to stay in it long enough to see how it feels with traction in high gear yet. That thing is wild! Only running 6 lbs of boost at the moment without a tune and no alcohol injection. Going to take the down-pipes and wastegate pipes apart and send them off to get Jet-Hot coated...while that is going on, I have to get some hood and front air dam work done. But, yes, I think the beast will be breathing at DNI,,:o)

Wayne