HybridZ

Coyote in my back yard!!

jerryb

I live in town....on a large wooded lot. Recently my 45lb German Short Hair Pointer has been acting very strange when we let here out to do her duties.

Last night I figured out why....she was nose to nose (actualy 10 feet apart) with a large Coyote...Id say about 65lbs. A Beautiful tall animal with full winter coat.

Do I have to worry about my pooch. Do these critters pray on pets? It didnt appear aggressive...more curious than anything. My dog was curious but was clearly very nervous..... Nervous from a dog that goes stupid with excitment when she get anywhere near to another dog!

I dont want her to become a late dinner snack for this fellow!

Sure it wasn't a wolf? J/K, but usually they top out about the same weight as your dog.

I grew up around coyotes and never saw or heard of one killing a dog that was around their same size. Cats, possums, cute little dogs, etc...yes. They can be aggressive if they are hungry enough, but my experience is that they are mostly scavengers. They scare deer pretty well, too, but what doesn't? I'd say keep an eye and ear out for roving packs of coyotes. If you don't notice them hanging around your house all of the time your dog isn't very interesting to them and you have nothing to really worry about.

I dont believe there has been a wolf around these parts for decades...but it was bigger than any Coyote Ive ever seen.

I will let the neighbors know...they all have small pidly little dogs. Mine is actually a pretty tough bitch. A few months ago she was attacked by two Bermese mountain dogs.....She won the altercation with me and the other owner rolling in the dirt trying to release her grip from the back thigh of one of them. But these are domestic dogs....I didnt know how tough coyotes are.

Thanx!

I'd absolutely be concerned, and even if your dog wins out in the scrap, what's it contracted from the battle with that other critter? Also, that sounds like a large Coyote. They're pretty nasty, so proceed with caution.

Mike

There wild animals, That makes them tough and dangerous. They want to eat without getting hurt. If there pushed,who knows?

A month ago we had one that attacked people 2 seperate times and it wasn't rabbid.

We got wolves, when you see one of them you don't think it's a yote.

Then there's them damn Griz. They have been hunting hunters and stealing kills. But that's another story.

She is fixed...but she sprays when excited and it drives male dogs nuts. Perhaps she got his attention.

And I go back to the size of that thing...it was looking down at her! It jumped over the fence like it was a short hurdle! I didnt have a clue they could jump like that! Im will keep an eye out on things...I dont want to find out who is tougher.

It was funny...this morning she went out to the spot and every hair on her back was upright! I dont think she likes this any more than I do.

Jerry, do these occurrences happen at night, or twilight? I can't imagine a healthy coyote moving around too much in the daylight. If so, you might consider a motion-sensitive light in that general area. Set it to maximum sensitivity. A coyote doesn't have to be startled too many times before it learns to be cautious.

I'm wondering, too, why it's coming into your yard. Is there some source of food or water it might be utilizing? Letting you see it is kind of unusual, it must either be very sure of itself, very sure of you, or there's something wrong. Their behavior can become odd for more reasons than rabies. This one sounds like it looks healthy, though. Perhaps your neighbors rat-dogs look tasty.

The alternative to "handling the situation", of course, is to just enjoy having a wild thing sharing your property. Sort of a vote of confidence in you. They're smart, ingenious, handsome animals (which is easier to appreciate if you keep your trash cans sealed up tight, BTW.)

We live out in a rural area where we hunt. We also keep several dogs. On more tha more occasion our dogs have come home bleeding, limping, and with bite marks b/c of coyotes. Coyotes are a problem, they kill our turkey, young deer, rabbits, ect. So being the hunters that we are we set out a wounded rabbit call in a sink hole. We then climbed on top of the house with a 30-06, 30-30, and .270 (we have a big family) and went to town. I think when the night was over we had killed 6. Anyway the moral of this story is that they are dangerous and should be treated as such. Kill them on sight.

A bunch of retards thought it would be "cool" to interduce wolves back in to montana or idaho, 10 plus years ago. They have spead like wild fire!! Over a tri state area and into Canada! There was a reason they were eracticated a long time ago. I hear hunters spotting them and starting to worry about there safty. If you have kids, get a pic, see if it is a wolf or coyote, wolves will hunt children. Coyotes are very small around these parts, about 35lbs.

I grew up in Southern California where packs of coyotes would literally run down my street. I've seen several pets dragged away by coyotes. My parent's mini schnauzer was attacked but survived a couple years ago, and that attack happened in the back yard surrounded by a concrete block retaining wall. Twice in 20 or so years there were reports of attacks on people. One was a woman on horseback and a large pack attacked her and the horse. That was in the middle of a long drought and they were probably starving to death, but still they can be dangerous. I kind of miss hearing the calls at night. You could really hear them howling at 2 or 3 in the morning, but if I were in the position you described I'd be putting a shotgun near the back door just in case there is a next time.

Jon, I live in Canada...HAHA.....a shotgun by the back door would likely bring back capital punishments. But I think I have a rock or two......

Strotter...it happened about 11pm...no food and a Koi pond thats frozen over. The winter has been very mild and for what it worth it didnt seem to be acting strange...other than I have never seen one around this area. Saying that we do live within a mile of a natural river valley..so I suppose it wouldnt be a stretch to expect one to get here. But the neighbors Shitsu would look good in a stir fry...and I wouldn't have to listen to its endless barking!

If it was a wolf......wow....that would be cool.

Xena (my dog) took a very cautious approach to that critter so I figure her survival instinct came into play. If it was a friendly dog she would have been all excited and retarded....instead she was very slow and careful. She must have sensed something! So I will go with her gut and be careful...its not worth the hassle......

Tonight Im gonna set up my D70 and see if I can get a pic.

One thing for sure...my pooch weighs between 45 and 50lbs....this thing was taller and bigger for sure....at least 10 pounds bigger!

I doubt it's a coyote as well. as stated earlier, it would be rare to see one get that big. My grandparents and uncle would have a coyote from time to time. They tended to mate with their bull mastiff. They can be dangerous, so I'd still be cautous even if it's just a coyote and not a wolf.

By the way, is it just pure coincidence that there is an ad that states "Put an end to you Dog's Agreession Towards People & Other Dogs" at the bottom of this post on myscreen? lol

That is a most aggresive looking dog!:eek2:

It probably is a wolf, they're making a comeback at least in the west. Last week the first wolf entered Oregon (a female) from the re-introduction into Montana, or Idaho...They're radio tracking her and they say she can move really fast considering the terrain.

I see coyotes in suburban Portland once in awhile...they just follow the streams in.

Lucky it wasn't a cougar. Those sound wicked at night! I camped at this place called Devil's Flats. All I could hear was "DOOOOOWWW! DOOOOOOWW!" all night long. My dog at the time was a Wolf/Coyote/Elkhound/Rot mix and it seemed she was more scared than me!

Our relationship with wild animals is really wierd now. We have programs where we collect road kill over the winter. Then if we have an early spring, we helicopter the roadkill to the mountains so the cougars won't come looking for food in the neighborhoods...no joke.:bonk:

I hope you can get some cool pics!! :-)

my neighbors little dog got attacked by a small coyote, and it only survived because they heard it and scared it away. We had to drive the dog in to the vet with one of its eyes sticking out... but still no reason to just kill em all. Get a couple bigger dogs that would eat a coyote for dinner if it approached.

I just saw a bobcat or minx or whatever they are acouple days ago driving up to Mt baker, it was like the size of a big german shepard. Big Cats would prolly be more trouble than a small coyote for small pets. But Cougars and bears are sweet, hopefully they dont go extinct anytime soon.