HybridZ

taking apart hks head gasket for cleaning?

jeffer949

ok so i was giving a used hks(i believe) 2mm metal head gasket today(thanks rick!!!!):mparty: and well its been used and then was sitting in a box for a while and it needs to be cleaned up. i was thinking of soaking in some acetone or some MEK to dissolve the old copper coat and what not. but then i started to wonder if i could drill out the brass rivets and then clean all the layers and then after they are clean rivet it back together? just wondering if this would be ok or if i should just soak it in something and clean it that way?? well thanks in advance.

Jeff

You still don't need to take it apart. Just clean it with solvent and blow with compressed air. If you drill out the rivets, you will need to replace them. Not sure what the rivet size is, but if you try to install the gasket without rivets holding the layers together, the layers are bound to shift when you try and torque it. The uncompressed 2mm gasket is about the same height at the head locator dowels, so it is a little tricky even with the rivets in place.

Just another note: are you running crazy amounts of boost where you need a metal gasket? Are you 100% sure about your tune where you will not have any detonation? Stock head gaskets can easily handle 15psi, and act as a nice safety fuse if you detonate. I would rather swap a gasket, than a crank, rods and pistons if my tune is on the edge or I get some bad gas.

Just an FYI....

I have taken them apart to use different thickness steel inners but I wouldn't take it apart to clean it. As other said above, just use some copper coat. If you do pull it apart you don't need to rivet them back together. Atleast I didn't and it's been beast on hard with 30+psi and no problems.

If you do pull it apart you don't need to rivet them back together. Atleast I didn't and it's been beast on hard with 30+psi and no problems.

That's what I would expect too, so long as the dowels are still there to locate everything. You'd want to copper coat each piece so you don't get leaks between, but still as everyone seems to agree, pulling it apart to clean in between the layers is probably a waste of effort.

The head gasket in question was on an engine that had a warped head on it - and looks as if there is carbon-y black stuff in between the layers. That stuff is not just dust. It could just be the remains of the rubbery coating that HKS gaskets come with.

It really does look like it needs cleaning.