HybridZ

280z floor pan replacement

JustinOlson

I'm going to be replacing the floor boards in my Datsun 280z. I found a picture showing basically what I'm planning on doing. I was hoping for some input from you guys on what gauge sheet metal to use. I'm going to have a local sheet metal shop make the part in all one piece to save me time and hassle.

I was planning on using 1" x 2" x .083" square tubing for the frame rail replacement.

06gzy9.jpg

240zfloorpansizeddh3.jpg

Would anyone be interested in the sheetmetal portion to replace the floor pans if I had a run of them produced. I'm going to get price quotes from the sheet metal shop once I have the drawings finished for these parts.

Regards,

Justin

The factory sheetmetal is pretty thin, like 20 or 22 gauge. I'd go a little thicker just to be safe, like 18 or 16 gauge. The weight increase will be minimal, probably only a few pounds, but the increase in strength will be pretty significant.

Yeah, I've been eyeing this eastwood bead roller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMB3x6bHffg

I'm not sure if I will be buying it in time. I am going to add the replacement frame rail (I think 1 X 3 is more common) and some 1 X 2 seat brackets. That should make things plenty strong I would think.

Justin

We've got an Eastwood bead roller that is crank driven. It's best used with a helper to either turn the crank or move the metal, but it works great! We also have their big sheet metal brake and another manufacturers tubing bender and another's rotisserie. I don't play with these tools too often, but they are going to come in handy when I finish stripping my 240Z shell and start replacing the floor pans. I plan on using ZedFindings pans but might add some extra rolls.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey guys, I hear ya talkin about replacing floor pans in a 280Z. Mine is a 2+2. I got a 4X8 sheet of 18 guage, had it wacked to give me 2 2X6 foot sections. I also got 2 6 foot sections of 1 x 3 rectangular tubing in 16 Guage for the frame "rails" for under the floor. In working with the floors in your cars, what is the length of the floor from where the front bends up to the back where it meets the verticle section behind the seats. I have mine measured at 56 inches. I am wondering if it is the same length as the coupe, with the difference in coupe vs 2+2 being the section behind the verticle section. If so, would the floor pans be the same? Just curious because I know that no one makes a 2+2 floor pan and I had thought about getting a coupe floor pan from one of the companies that came up when I googled it, and adding the section to make it long enough for a 2+2. I see that most of the comments were made 3 years ago so if anyone is still watching this site, let me know. Please respond.

Thanks.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

When I did my floorboards and rails and extensions on my 240 I bought them from some guy (in Canada?).

Like a chooch I figured they would fit, but weren't even close.

I think beating out your own will be perfect.

I left my tranny cross member in place to help with alignment. Tack welded the entire frame while I was in there.

Can't wait to see pictures.

post-1894-074189400 1319298839_thumb.jpg

post-1894-094771800 1319298847_thumb.jpg

post-1894-065881600 1319298854_thumb.jpg

post-1894-001700500 1319298861_thumb.jpg

post-1894-044629600 1319299024_thumb.jpg

Edited by duragg

• 3 weeks later...

i just wanted to give you guys a thumbs up on your floors and frame rails. I am using either 18 or 20g if i use 20 im gonna bead roll it, and i have 2x3 that i am making my frame rails from as they are actually gonna run through the floor so that you only see an inch or less under the car. nice work guys. also Justin if you get floor made keep us posted please.