HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Yesterday Tom & Brittany Harris and Zeke Harouff came over to the house for a while. Brit kept the wife company while Tom, Zeke and I installed the remainder of the XFi system into the car. I have to wire up the coil (2 wires), the key on (one wire), the fan main, the fuel pump main and pump at the cell, and check a few more odds and ends, but it looks as if we'll be ready to make the system function within a few short days. Then it'll be off to the Dyno for some fine tunning. I also have to order the bits for the traction control sensor/harness lead. Other than that, we've made good progress since the system came in. I may call CCW later today and go ahead and order the wheels...

Still will need to drop the trans and resolve a seal issue, along with installing the new lwfw, and then install my driveshaft safely loop.

Mike

I have been watching and reading your entire build thread. Impressive to say the least. I actually have the same rear spoiler as you. I will PM you in regards to the riser extensions you made. I only hope my Z turns out a fraction of yours.

It's just aluminum plate bolted to the mounts. Thanks for the compliments. Ordered the wheels from CCw in 10x18 and 12x18 in anodized black.

Mike

We're going to weigh everything to confirm this, but it looks like we're going to be able to reduce our total weight on the vehicle by possibly 90 pounds. Swapping from carburetor supplied fuel system to the FAST efi was a net push, due in no small part to the complex nature of the fuel system we were using. Now I'm not going to use two pumps, the surge tank, and other related parts. Instead, we have one, tiny pump and one tiny regulator. We did add 8 injectors, some wiring and an ecu, so we're thinking that it's a net of maybe adding 5 pounds.

The front wheel/tire combo we're going with is a net savings of 12 pounds per corner.

The rear wheel/tire combo we're going with is a net savings of about 10 pounds per corner.

The fidanza flywheel is 10 pounds. the information in my build book on the CAT flywheel shows it measured by the builder at 32.3 pounds, so that's another 22 pounds shaved off.

The Braille Battery is saving me 23 pounds over the 38 pound Optima Redtop.

So far that combo should be good for 89-90 pounds. I hope we can get this car into sub-2600 pounds. When we corner balanced it before Watkins Glen, she weighed in at 2709 without driver. So we're atleast on the right track now...

Oh and the total bill came due for the CCws... Getting them in the sizes I wanted with black anodizing on the outer shell and the center ran more than I expected. Total was $3275 shipped for the LM20s.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

I am leaning towards ordering a set of CCW's now after seeing your corner weight savings on each wheel. Also they look amazing. And that anodized black is going to look a amazing. Where did you get the Braille battery from? I am thinking the only local place that might have those in stock is the Summit racing store here in GA. Keep up the good work and take tons of pictures of those CCW's when they get in.

Can't wait to see what the black looks like. I have always loved the ccw wheels. They are the wheel that I have always said I will use "Eventually", just never got around to it. HA. I hope it works out for you this season Mike, would be a shame to see the car go, but understandable if it does.

Guys, keep in mind those weights are wheel AND tire combined. I'm using a Hoosier this season, which is about 5 pounds per tire lighter than the Victoracers on the car. That is a contributing factor. Also, I'm using 18s. If you can run a smaller diameter, you will probably save even more weight.

Also on the Battery, I ordered mine online thru an ebay vendor.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Been down with a pulled muscle in my back for a few days. Chiropractor was snapping me like a twig yesterday and it felt soooo good!

I'll attempt to crank over the motor today... We may be read to take her to EB3 Motorsports for some tuning here in the very near future.

Edited by Mikelly

Guys, keep in mind those weights are wheel AND tire combined. I'm using a Hoosier this season, which is about 5 pounds per tire lighter than the Victoracers on the car. That is a contributing factor. Also, I'm using 18s. If you can run a smaller diameter, you will probably save even more weight.

Also on the Battery, I ordered mine online thru an ebay vendor.

Mike

Thanks for the vendor for the battery. I need to order one here soon. I plan on having 17" wheels so like you said I should have even lighter weights then you noticed. Not sure on which tire I will be using yet, so I will have to wait for that to confirm my tire/wheel weight setup. Sorry to hear about your back, I have a bad lower back and have been meaning to schedule surgery just haven't found the time to take all the time off and plan for recovery.

Nelsonian, I pinged a few guys in the Porsche Community and several in my DE instructor core network and found that all of them commented on having it on trickle charge while not in use. That tells me that it would probably be OK, but would require a 2Amp trickle to keep it at the ready.

Mike

Nelsonian, I pinged a few guys in the Porsche Community and several in my DE instructor core network and found that all of them commented on having it on trickle charge while not in use. That tells me that it would probably be OK, but would require a 2Amp trickle to keep it at the ready.

Mike

I think it would be wise then to just use a normal battery for daily use and keep the Braille battery on the trickle charger then when you go to the track swap the batteries. Either way I need to pick one up.

Not so sure. In the winter time if I didn't drive the 996TT at least once every few weeks, the battery would drain on it as well... I think putting a trickle charge on anything not started more than once per month is a wise decision to extend the battery life of anything from lawn tractors, to motorcycles and cars.

Mike

The CCWs currently on the car are 18X11 with a backspacing of 4.75 inches and the fronts are 18X9 with a backspacing of 5 inches. The new CCWs I've ordered will have a greater offset, We went with 5 3/8 backspacing on the rears and 5 on the fronts.

Mike