HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

So yeesterday I got some slicks mounted up and then installed them on the Zcar. I hope to have time this weekend for a quick spin in the car so I can collect some data to send to the tuner for some tweeks before next Saturday's event at NCCAR. Also sold the M3 over the last couple days. When I was loading it into the trailer, I noticed one of the three big hinges on the bottom of the rear door (where the cars roll in) was BROKEN, after I loaded the M3 in. I'm not sure how long it's been that way... But I'm gonna have to address that ASAP.

Mike

Yesterday evening I went over and inspected a GT3 owned by my buddy Jim McNemar. Jim owns the Red Zcar in some of my pics that people always ask about. After looking at the GT3 for another member over on Rennlist, Jim, his wife Maureen, my wife Donna and I went to dinner together. We hadn't seen or spoken to each other for several years, due to work, both of us trying to keep afloat during the financial downturn, and life in general. We're all new grandparents as well, which was a common theme during our 4 hours long visit.

I came away from that evening thinking about how many great friends, in person, that I've made over the years through the Datsun Zcar. It made me stop and think "what if you'd never bought that first Z back in 1987?" What if I'd packed it in long ago and stopped collecting parts and building cars, and imparting my rather opinionated advice on others over the years? I'd never have met those I consider friend. These cars are an extension of who we are, but also of the relationships we forge over time.

We didn't mention that little red Zcar I've been storing for Jim over the last 5 years. And we probably won't mention it for another 5. Who knows. And it doesn't matter. It brought us together as friends, and that is far more important than the car itself...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Mike

It finally arrived today... 19 days after I booked shipping...

Just after offloading...

801c3c8f.jpg

At home infront of my house...

26cafec5.jpg

d0a3e012.jpg

79d7a59e.jpg

d03c0f2c.jpg

df023522.jpg

0421bda2.jpg

Has a fabspeed exhaust, Nitto NT01s, Adjustable rear links, Full OEM Carbon interior trim package, OEM Short Shifter, DaSport Rollbar.

I'm tickled...:D

Mike

It's an 04 with the Metzger 3.6L drysump motor. Thing redlines at 8200RPM. Not doing turbos on this car... Love it as is... Going to get a clearbra on it and drive it. The Datsun is my track car. I don't plan to track this car as much as I did the last Porsche...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Datsun is loaded up and ready for the track event at NCCAR on Saturday!

Mike

Like I said I will be at the track (VIR) with my Datsun on Monday. To bad you are busy. I got your message about wanting to come down to Road Atlanta. There are two NASA events that I am doing. One on June 15 - 17. The other is in August 4 - 5. Both are at Road Atlanta.

Matt

Highs and lows today. Not sure of the damage to the car, but it was having fuel delivery issues and the motor isn't sounding quite "right" at the moment.

I will say that when it was running properly , it was damned fast.