HybridZ

Fiberglass Parts

Its not my dream to do this, I just figure I would give it a shot to make some parts at a reasonable price for the Z guys. I also want to make more fiberglass parts there are not available that much anymore. I know this is going to be tough to do, but I have one of my friends that will be in this with me. As far as experience, I haven't had a whole of of it, but I have done work with fiberglass and bondo. The most recent was when I ran over my new MSA Style III bumper, broke in half and in pieces. I ended up fiberglassing it back together. I want to give it a try, so we will try it out with some test trial runs first and show you guys the progress and process. Thanks

Just to step in here as an admin. We've had a number of members start projects to build and sell parts for other HybridZ members. Most of those failed because the effort was treated as a hobby and the person doing the work didn't realize how much time and effort was needed to:

1. Design the parts.

2. Build the parts.

3. Sell the parts.

4. Service and repair the parts.

5. Keep up good customer communication.

Failed projects like these leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth and pretty much every one of those HybridZ members who started something like this and failed are no longer members of this site - either voluntarily or after being banned. It takes a lot of work to produce parts for paying customers. About 10 times more work then it takes to make a part for yourself or a buddy.

Keep all the above in mind when making promises. The admins, the membership, and your customers will remember your promises and hold you to them.

In the next few weeks, Z-Ya, Roostmonkey and I will be making molds of the front and rear spoilers and (we hope) the fender flares from the BSR 280Z.

We have experienced friends who will be guided us through the process but we don't expect to be the ones making any of the parts that would come out of these molds. We plan on subbing that out to a very competent FG person.

Should it all work out we will be back and let you know what we can provide.

I will second this statement;

"It takes a lot of work to produce parts for paying customers. About 10 times more work then it takes to make a part for yourself or a buddy."

My goal was to learn the steps of creating a fiberglass part, make it unique enough to limit competitors, and to break even on my investment. After two years I accomplished all three.

Miguel,

I don't want to discourage you from persuing your dream but I got to ask. How much do you know about fiberglass? Have you build any fiberglass parts before? Do you have a place to work? Do you have the $? Fiberglass business is no jokes. I suggest you contact John Washington for some advice before you persue your dream. Good luck

V.

x2.

I have made more than a few items from 'glass, helped my uncle on a regular basis, with his fibreglass business, I actually helped encourage him to persue it and helped with the first few products in developement.

I've seen first hand what it takes.

I almost took over what he started after he died, but due to health concerns coming from my Grandmother and even my Grandfather, they discouraged that. I think they both believe that the fibreglass and carbon fibre had a large part in his death, where as other factors were MUCH more likely. But since my Grandfather became executor of his "estate", and so I was at his mercy to have access to the fibreglass molds and supplies. The molds are still behind the garage 6 years later.

Sorry got off on a tangent there....

The key to making quality 'glass or carbon products is in the mold. If the mold is ♥♥♥♥, then no matter what you do with the lay-up process will make any difference.

The next part that makes a difference is using the right resin and 'glass mat. The crap resin you buy at NAPA or Canadian Tire will not only make it expensive but is not the best resin to use for a production part. Quick repairs to an existing 'glass item for the DIYer is ok though.

When ever I can I avoid using the easily accesable resin mentined above and use un-waxed resin that can only be bought in 5 gallon sizes or larger, not cheap, but is the resin to use.

I would be very interested in FG fenders. As stated before, they would probably be desired by those facing rust issues. If fenders were made, an idea would be to already incorporate a flare into it, be it ZG style or BRE or what-have-you. I would like to see a rough estimate as far as price too!

To those who currently make FG parts, why havent fenders been done yet? Also how much weight savings might you get from these parts, considering there are enough layers of glass to be sturdy enough...

speaking of that, when a friend and I were building our "pre-runner" trucks, both of us got fiberglass fenders, mine were about 1.5x the price he paid, but were solid as a rock and very refined. his could be flexed by pushing with a few fingers and were not even smooth in the flat areas. just goes to show you really do get what you pay for!

To those who currently make FG parts, why havent fenders been done yet? Also how much weight savings might you get from these parts, considering there are enough layers of glass to be sturdy enough...

Weight savings is minimal (3 to 5 lbs) and its very hard to find an undamaged, straight left and right front fender.

In most cases a glass fender weighs more than the steel counter part.

When my uncle had his glass buisness going, we weighed parts to see if there owuld be or how much weight savings there was. My hood for my Skyhawk saved 20 lbs alone IIRC. The new hood weighed less than 15 lbs. Most fenders we found weighed only a few lbs, usually less than 10 lbs or so. In most cases the glass required to produce the same part with the strength needed to withstand the aero forces, or even just day to day use (shopping carts, leaning/working on the car, etc, came out to be around 15 to 20 lbs for the same area. This was taking into account a lightweight skin and then 'glass bracing on the inside. Just wasnt feasible from a weight standpoint.

I cant imagine an S30 fender to weigh a whole lot on stock form.

'Glass fenders would be good for molding in flares, or widebody, or as mentioned where there are rust filled originals and finding metal replacements is next to impossible.

If I were you I'd start out making a half dozen parts or so and selling ONLY what you have ALREADY made. DON'T TAKE ORDERS until you have established your process and can make the parts at a consistent quality and speed. I think the biggest problem guys run into when they start a project like this is they get in WAY WAY over their heads with people asking for parts and throwing money at them and they forget to manage them selfs.

Weight savings is minimal (3 to 5 lbs) and its very hard to find an undamaged, straight left and right front fender.

Is that over the stock fenders, or the lightweight thin steel units that they used on the rally cars?

Muahahahahaha!:icon45:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...