Making my own EFI intake... The First Casting

Derek

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I took the wife unit out for her first ride since the install. Now keep in mind she's not a car person and has know idea what I've been up to on this thing. All she knows is I've been working on the "fuel system" Anything more than that and her eyes will glaze over and I'll be wasting my breath.

I make our way to the main road and ran it through the gears making sure I shift below 2500 to keep the noise to a minimum and she say's "it sounds a lot better" KA-CHING!!!

We run around for a bit and I'm pushing it a little harder and she say's "It feels faster" Double KA-CHING!!!

There you go guys, the only official "wife approved" ITB intake manifold.

The best part of the trip though was making it back without any problems. That would have been the kiss of death.

I ran the A/C the whole time and it idled and started without any problems at all.I can't wait to get the basic tune done so I can start figuring out the finer points of megasquirt.

It just keeps getting better.

Derek

Now just get it into the twelves in the 1/4, with us other ITB users :)

Yea but they look cool!

My wallet is beyond empty after this adventure! Now I have to come back to the real world for a while and bang out some work. I'd love to see what these would do on a nicely built L6. I'll have to save my pennies so I can buy something decent down the road. I don't think there's much to be done with my current setup.

I do need to pull the head at some point to fix an oil leak. Hmmm...

Cam...Porting....

Man it sure is a slippery slope!

Derek

Derek They look damn good and have a classic bad ass feel look as well:2thumbs:

I have thought about ordering a set, if you where up for taking orders but I still haven't decided if I am modifying the stock block to see if I can get descent power, or swapping it out for something more powerful. Or doing something like you are just make it look damn good!

What sort of head/block/displacement combo are you running for your engine again? I can't recall.. What about spark? What are you doing for that with your megasquirt?

Honestly, the stock L28E had 170 flywheel horsepower, and that was with a restrictive intake manifold and an archaic fuel system. Don't overlook the "real" modifications already made to your car; internal work and a hottter cam would certainly help, but you have begun at the end.

Remember, your Horns are Magical, so they just might manage to make 450 horsepower as a bolt-on to your otherwise stock motor....

Well my car weighs a lot. I have quite a bit of extra sound deadener. I have a 5 speed out of a 78 and the stock rear end so it's not the best out of the hole. I didn't even do a compression check on the motor yet so I really don't know what I have. I have an E88 head (not sure which one) and an l28 with dished pistons.

It's a lot easier to make something look good than to run good. That's why it was #1 on my list. And it already runs a whole lot better than the SUs.

I'm sure when I get the tuning straightened out I'll see even more performance.

But now I have to concentrate on work. Coincidentally I got a project to bid on from one of my foundries. It's a ITB set up for a 4 cyl. Funny how things work out like that.

Derek

What sort of head/block/displacement combo are you running for your engine again? I can't recall.. What about spark? What are you doing for that with your megasquirt?

Honestly, the stock L28E had 170 flywheel horsepower, and that was with a restrictive intake manifold and an archaic fuel system. Don't overlook the "real" modifications already made to your car; internal work and a hottter cam would certainly help, but you have begun at the end.

Remember, your Horns are Magical, so they just might manage to make 450 horsepower as a bolt-on to your otherwise stock motor....

Daeron,

Hotter Cam? L28 blocks have adjustable cams? with 3 adjustments...

1: for brand new, to me better acceleration! but higher shift points like 5500 rpm, or "peak power!" when I can feel the car is not going any faster!

2: to tighten up the chain, when wearing kicks in, to me more torque , with lower rpm shift point 4500 rpm or "peak power!" when I can feel the car is not going any faster!

3:..... I am scared, because in the 1979 ZX shop Manuel nothing is written about 3 only 1 and 2, It only realizes that 3 is there with no description. I can only assume "BOB SHARP" other then that I am scared my poor little Z, just can not handle it and could possibly Blow!

I can only assume 2 is the mid point between the 3 but other then that I have no idea what 3 does... I like 2 the idea of 2 because I am not spinning my motor as high to get the same speed that I would at 1 :)

sorry if i sound like a jack ass at the top, but i am sure all or most L28's have the same cam I do

Derek,

That's interresting it sucked your tube flat. I wonder what caused that? Could there be forces at work that we didn't account for? Maybe it was just an old tube.

I'm glad you're getting better power out of your "magic horns" it's pretty cool. I'm so glad it's wife approved too, that means a lot since a lot of us have "budget managers" too.

Hopefully, having done this will help you win more work, such as that honda job. you probably don't want to reuse anything from this for the honda, but saying that you've done it before should go a long ways to getting more work.

We gotta get you out to a Dyno n see what your setup can do. knowing your compression and what block/head you have should give us a good idea or before and after. Though I totally understand the $$$$ side of this. so take your time, we can wait. That doesn't mean nobody wants to buy a set, so keep thinking about V2.

Phar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a word....Nice

But as the saying goes I have some good news and some bad news.

First the good news. It looks cool, It looks really cool. And it even runs. Oh and it sounds great. So much so I can't seem to keep my foot out of it. Everyone that rides in it agrees it has a lot more power than the SU's. It also starts better, idles better and basically does everything better than my old SU's.

I'm still tuning and realizing more and more power. What's really great is if your just cruising around it runs like a normal manifold. I've had it on a couple of hour long drives and it never gave me even the slightest bit of anxiety.It just purrs along. The heat shield is working as it should and so far no hot start problems in 85 degree heat.

Now for the bad news.

I don't think any amount of fancy NA induction is going to make up for a 8.28:1 compression ratio on an old tired motor. It's just not making a lot of horse power. I took it up to a dyno and paid for a couple of pulls. The results were pretty bad. I'm only making a peak of about 119 hp with about 135 ft pounds of torque. I can only imagine how bad it was with the SU's. And that's the problem. I can only imagine. I had planned on doing a pull with the SU's so I would have something to compare it to but got cheap and lazy and didn't do it.

Oh and did I mention I'm broke!

I had lined up 4 months worth of work in December before I did the final push only to have every project get put on hold. Never seen anything like it before. Of course you hear a lot of that lately.

So My development funds have stopped as well. The $70.00 for the 2 pulls is probably the last I'll be putting into it until I can get straightened out. But at least they're on the car and running.

I figure I'll post some prices and we can see if there is any interest and take it from there.

If someones looking to meet the criteria that I set when I designed these I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Derek

135 foot pounds of torque on a 120 horse, worn out motor is impressive!! I may well be making a rookie mistake in saying so, but MY thought on that would be that your manifold worked so well at giving the air a nice, even, straight pathway into the combustion chamber that your torque numbers ARE up from what they would have been! I would bet if you have a nice fresh longblock (even bone stock) you'd be more up into the 140-160 horse range with a more even and stiff torque band (maybe a peak around 150-180)

That is a daily driver setup if I ever saw one, and to have the cool factor on the DD is the ultimate to me!! Let's face it, without putting those horns into a plenum for turbocharging, you WONT see "max power" out of your L. "Max NA power" is going to cost stupid amounts of money, so why not go for "awesome torquey DD?" Wire tuck and clean up the engine bay extensively, etc, and go for cool/show DD car rather than cool/showoff/superfast car. Don't worry; you'll still roll with the mustangs and the other entry level tools on the road. :2thumbs:

Derek, don't expect fantasy-dyno numbers with the engine you have it on. It's just an upgrade for a worn old motor as you said it would be.

I think what you've done here, from start to finish, takes a lot more work than doing part numbers searches and reading engine assembly books and building an engine to even have the potential to utilize what you've got.

they will show their benefit when you get back into the game and build a motor they're meant to be on. be glad that the unit itself works as expected, while the engine alone may not be the greatest.

I know I would be very proud of myself for doing such a thing, regardless of whether or not my engine ran on 3 cylinders or 6.

L14 or 28 quasi-inline 3 or 6 cylinder engine and THOSE trumpets making a whopping 60hp would make me feel on top of the world with that thing bolted up to it, if I made it with my own hands and skill and trades-knowledge.

L14 or 28 quasi-inline 3 or 6 cylinder engine and THOSE trumpets making a whopping 60hp would make me feel on top of the world with that thing bolted up to it, if I made it with my own hands and skill and trades-knowledge.

I am not even 100% positive I understand what he is saying here, but I agree with him! :2thumbs:

(disclaimer: i did understand the gist of what careless was saying)

Well if you want a nice motor to see what your manifold can really do I am sure plenty of people on this forum will oblige and let you put the manifold on their motor. LOL. ;)

Keep the positive attitude up, as you said, almost everyone is feeling the pinch at the moment.

Derek,

Given the condition of your motor, you'll make about the same power with your custom TBs vs. the stock SUs given the same AFR at the peak power RPM point. The RPM where it makes the most power might be slightly different between the two setups, but the power will be approximately the same.

You need to build yourself a new motor to really take advantage of your TBs (hint, hint...). I suspect that your TB setup would be comparable to a set of Mikunis or Webers as for as power potential.

A budget upgrade would be some flat top ITM pistons, a fresh valve job and a medium cam. If your cylinders are in good shape, you shouldn't need to bore the block. This would yield a 10:1 CR, and at least 180WHP.

Time to upgrade!

Pete