HybridZ

FMIC size on S30

a6t8vw

The biggest you could fit is around 26" x 16" x ? core 36" wide with end tanks. now this would be sitting past the very ends of the front frame rails so you would have to lose the hood hinge torsion springs. it would also sit below your standard air damn opening. The thickness is a ? because that all just depends...you could probably fit a 5" core with those other dimensions.

but why? it was already mentioned that biggest isn't the best. over all efficiency and pressure loss across the core should be calculated as well as your HP goals and the type of driving you will be doing/ what the car is going to be used for. The first 12" or so of the intercooler is where you see the most efficiency*, anything after that is just more cooling tubes before you cram the air into the intake manifold = pressure/flow loss.

*IIRC

if you want a giant intercooler just because, I will sell you mine.

This one is horrible. The core size looks big but it is split and a dual pass. It would have a pretty high pressure drop compared to a single pass of the same size.

This would have the least pressure drop. I would of run one if they were 4" thick. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Side-Turbo-Intercooler-Grand-National-GN-Mustang_W0QQitemZ370024566558QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370024566558

I run a 24x12x4, car doesn't get hot when it's over 100* and the a/c is on.

Bigger is better as far as cooling.

This one is horrible. The core size looks big but it is split and a dual pass. It would have a pretty high pressure drop compared to a single pass of the same size.

This would have the least pressure drop. I would of run one if they were 4" thick. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Side-Turbo-Intercooler-Grand-National-GN-Mustang_W0QQitemZ370024566558QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370024566558

I run a 24x12x4, car doesn't get hot when it's over 100* and the a/c is on.

Bigger is better as far as cooling.

oh well, I got one at a good price. I asked around about the XSPOWER one and people didn't seem to recommend it at the time. Ad claims .2-.5psi pressure drop @15psi which is all i would be running so i couldnt imagine it could be that bad.

Ad claims .2-.5psi pressure drop @15psi which is all i would be running so i couldnt imagine it could be that bad.

This could be true assuming they tested which I doubt. They also don't say at what cfm the results are at, to just say 15 psi is very misleading. A 250 hp engine running 15 psi doesn't use nearly as much air as a 600 hp engine running 15 psi.

This could be true assuming they tested which I doubt. They also don't say at what cfm the results are at, to just say 15 psi is very misleading. A 250 hp engine running 15 psi doesn't use nearly as much air as a 600 hp engine running 15 psi.

yeah i dont know all the technical stuff... but that is one of the generic ebay cores sold by all the folks, so it's from the same factory that makes all the ebay junk... they must have tested it at one point. I guess only way to see is to test it and find out :D

• 2 weeks later...

Is it good? I think so, 3.5" thick bar and plate design, 1 psi pressure drop at 76.5 lb/min (1000 CFM).

I just don't think it would fit that easy. Just the core is 26" long and it is only 10.5" high.

Sparky said 26" is about the max length including end-tanks. I'd keep looking for something narrower with a 14" or 16" height.:icon54:

[Edit: In general, height is more important than length for a horizontal core IC, and vice-versa for a vertical core. It's a balancing act of efficiency versus pressure drop.]

Mine is 24" and I had to cut the core support to get the in/out through and the hoses barely touch the hood hinges.

This would have half the pressure drop. I don't know if a lower pressure drop or longer tubes makes more power though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO-INTERCOOLER-22x6x3-Supra-7MGTE-1JZGTE-Mustang_W0QQitemZ270217548469QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270217548469

It would be cool to see a convective heat transfer CFD on one like Clifton linked compared to a horizontal. If it isn't internally baffled the flow is really low for the first half of the tubes compared to the second half. Flow exponentially increases along the core length.

I like the vertical core with long end-tanks design for our Z's. Shorter length charge-pipe tubing to run, and less pressure drop for sure. I just don't know if it has comparable efficiency, or if it is more easily heat-soaked than a horizontal core.

Consider that a 24x12" horizontal core has 288 in^2 frontal area wheras the vertical core one posted has ~152 in^2 (22.5x6.75"). That's 90% more frontal area for the horizontal.